Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Road trip advice please.

Road trip advice please.

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:01 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road trip advice please.

After a very traumatic twelve months and after inheriting some money, I have decided to take another two months out and go on a road trip. I arrive in Vancouver in two weeks time. I am spending a couple of days there and then heading to Vancouver Island for five days.

After that I am heading to Calgary I have five days to get there.
What should I stop and see on the way?

Eventually I head over to the Maritimes, I have three weeks there visiting Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and PEI, again what should I make a point of seeing.

Most of my trip I will be staying with fantastic friends I met on here, you know who you are, thank you...
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Road trip advice please.

We drove from Edmonton to Victoria and back last year, driving 4 ish hours a day (I have two young kids and that was the most they could stand).

It's a beautiful drive, and one I cannot wait to do again, but there isnt a lot in between Vancouver and Calgary... not 5 days worth anyway IMO.
In the rockies you have Jasper, Banff and the Columbia ice fields.
Kamloops was a bit of a dive IMO, but Kelowna was very nice. At that time of year, it's no longer winter, and not yet summer, so it was pretty quiet.
A route you might consider is Vancouver to Kelowna, then to Jasper, down through the rockies to Banff, and then on to Calgary.

We spent a fortune on a whale watching trip off Vancouver Island, but didnt see anything apart from some seals where we boarded the boat. I'd wait until you get to the maritimes and do it in the Bay of Fundy- it's much cheaper and one of the best places in North America for whale watching apparently.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:06 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Give Ann M a shout in Bragg Creek - thats a stunning place and contrary to my last comment on this matter - if you do pay a visit there then THIS will be your last stop before Calgary
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:09 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

ooooh edit you could visit 3 Valley Gap by Revelstoke - if you are going that way - thats pretty darn beautiful Yep just checked its on highway 1 so a direct route

http://www.3valley.com/

Check out the heritage ghost town

Last edited by mandymoochops; Apr 22nd 2012 at 5:12 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:22 pm
Sawdust making harpy

just checked the map - kamloops is about halfway - are you visiting any bods there - I think it's going to be the biggest place you pass through / visit en route and you'll get a dose of civilisation in between the "ooooh look another mountain" tour lol
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:26 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

The Okanagan is worth a few days - Kelowna/Vernon/Osoyoos etc. Lots of lovely vineyards to explore. Mission Hill Winery is quite picturesque on the West Bank of Kelowna.

On Vancouver Island if you have time to visit Tofino/Ucluelet its worth the drive.

Just the drive itself is pretty scenic anyway, so just take your time and enjoy it!

Happy travels!
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
The Okanagan is worth a few days - Kelowna/Vernon/Osoyoos etc. Lots of lovely vineyards to explore. Mission Hill Winery is quite picturesque on the West Bank of Kelowna.

On Vancouver Island if you have time to visit Tofino/Ucluelet its worth the drive.

Just the drive itself is pretty scenic anyway, so just take your time and enjoy it!

Happy travels!
Thats agreat idea <puts in order>
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:27 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the Okanagon is a beautiful area; we spent several days there last summer and loved it. Depends which route you take but if you are travelling via Highway 1 then around Revelstoke and Golden is lovely. Inbetween the two at Crazy Creek is some lovely hot pools - newly opened; several pools of varying temperatures although I wouldn't bother with the waterfall across the road as they charge a fortune for viewing it from a suspension bridge.

Lake Louise is lovely too and of course spend some time in Banff; go up the gondola and get fantastic views from the top. Between Banff and Lake Louise (on the Bow Valley Parkway) is Johnstons Canyon which is nice walk where you get to see a series of waterfalls.

I know Mandymoochops mentioned Bragg Creek. Very pretty little hamlet with the Elbow Falls Trail close by which is a nice drive with places to stop and explore including Elbow Falls and Forget-me-not Pond.

Calgary has lots of the usual city touristy type things. Stephens Avenue is nice and there's the Calgary Tower where you can have lunch. You can step back in time at Heritage Park and spend a day there riding a big old steam train etc.

Have a fun trip!
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:34 pm

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Will check those out on the map.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump - just for the name. YoĆ» could picnic at Crowsnest on the way. I recommend Pizza 97 for spicy Mediterranian pizza in Oliver, open after 4 pm I think.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Down the coast to San Franciso. Across to Bryce, via Vegas because, well, there aint nowhere like that. Grand Canyon, of course, if you haven't been. Boggle at the weirdness of SLC, see the ghost towns in Colorado, on to Nebraska, get your picture taken next to the "Outlaw Sodomy" billboard. Cut hard right, take the Natchez trail as you make your way to New Orleans (for research dig out Easy Rider). Florida caters to a very specific taste, maybe skip that, head for Charleston, work back up the coast from there being sure not to miss Nag's Head. Then you're in New York! Shit, that's exciting, take the Staten Island ferry, go up the Empire State building, do all the tourist stuff. There's not much of note north of there and airfare home is cheapest from New York, maybe bang it on the head at that point?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Down the coast to San Franciso. Across to Bryce, via Vegas because, well, there aint nowhere like that. Grand Canyon, of course, if you haven't been. Boggle at the weirdness of SLC, see the ghost towns in Colorado, on to Nebraska, get your picture taken next to the "Outlaw Sodomy" billboard. Cut hard right, take the Natchez trail as you make your way to New Orleans (for research dig out Easy Rider). Florida caters to a very specific taste, maybe skip that, head for Charleston, work back up the coast from there being sure not to miss Nag's Head. Then you're in New York! Shit, that's exciting, take the Staten Island ferry, go up the Empire State building, do all the tourist stuff. There's not much of note north of there and airfare home is cheapest from New York, maybe bang it on the head at that point?
Maybe next time eh
Airfare was cheap, due to a very nice seat sale...
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clematis
Maybe next time eh
Airfare was cheap, due to a very nice seat sale...
OK, I love America and struggle a bit with the idea of tourism in Canada, but one thing I would try to see is the outports off Newfoundland. The government effectively forced the population to abandon their homes and move to housing projects. The towns and villages are still there, intact but abandoned, it's like Chernobyl but less likely to give you cancer.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Three weeks for all of the Maritime and Newfoundland, isn't a lot. Let me know how long you have in Newfoundland & whether you arrive by sea or air and I'll give you some suggestions.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Three weeks for all of the Maritime and Newfoundland, isn't a lot. Let me know how long you have in Newfoundland & whether you arrive by sea or air and I'll give you some suggestions.
That question implies that I have a plan, most of this I am winging, maybe a week in Newfoundland, will be arriving by sea ( I think...).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.