Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Newbie here- go easy on my question please :)

Newbie here- go easy on my question please :)

Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Charms1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie here- go easy on my question please :)

A friend of mine told me about this site. It's great. I got done to reading some I-130 posts. So please go easy on me and my question(s) that I ask.

I have a question regarding my parents from UK.

I am a USC (by marriage) and I would like to sponsor my parents over.

Does the I-130 have to be filed in UK back home OR can I file the I-130 for them here?

What concerns me is the medical. I have read numerous posts of how it's done in London Knightsbridge - I cannot believe they are the ONLY USCIS Civil surgeons there to do medicals for immigration. My mother is disabled and i read somewhere where a mother had to carry her son up the flight of stairs?? That's just not on.

Is there any chance the medical could be taken place over here in the U.S??
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here- go easy on my question please :)

Originally Posted by Charms1976
A friend of mine told me about this site. It's great. I got done to reading some I-130 posts. So please go easy on me and my question(s) that I ask.

Does the I-130 have to be filed in UK back home OR can I file the I-130 for them here?

What concerns me is the medical. I have read numerous posts of how it's done in London Knightsbridge - I cannot believe they are the ONLY USCIS Civil surgeons there to do medicals for immigration. My mother is disabled and i read somewhere where a mother had to carry her son up the flight of stairs?? That's just not on.

Hi there...welcome to BE.

Sorry I can't help you with your questions but from what you've said my major concern would be healthcare for your parents if they come to live here.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You mean you are married or were married to a USC and have since naturalized.

You would file the I-130 (one for each parent) in the US and eventually they will interview at the US Consulate in London.

Unfortunately, yes that is the only civil physician who can administer the medical for US immigration visas in all of the UK.

Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is the fault of the UK, not the US. It is a UK building employing a UK doctor.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Charms1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
You mean you are married or were married to a USC and have since naturalized.

yes that is correct

You would file the I-130 (one for each parent) in the US and eventually they will interview at the US Consulate in London.

Unfortunately, yes that is the only civil physician who can administer the medical for US immigration visas in all of the UK.
So, first comes the filing, then comes the medical, then comes the interview at the U.S consulate in London?

So there is no way in them coming here to visit and having their medicals done here??
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What happens if you go through Belfast? Do they not have one there?

It is the US Gov who appoint the Surgery, they could have required disabled access.

But a minor issue compared to what to do with medical issues when you get here.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:57 pm
Concierge

There might very well be another way into the building for handicapped people. The poster she is referring to did not mention that she had asked and was told there were no ramped areas available to access.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Your parents are Immediate Relatives (category) so their process should be similar to the way you immigrated.. although I don't know how you got your PR through your spouse, so maybe this is all new to you.

This flier from USCIS explains the flow: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/A1en.pdf
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So, first comes the filing, then comes the medical, then comes the interview at the U.S consulate in London?
Correct.

So there is no way in them coming here to visit and having their medicals done here??
Correct. They can come to the USA to visit while waiting, but the medical for visa purposes must be done in the UK.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

My mother is disabled
Unless I was very rich, this would make me extremely nervous if I was bringing my mother over.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Unless I was very rich, this would make me extremely nervous if I was bringing my mother over.
There are 2 London Embassy doc locations - one in Knightsbridge (there may well be a back way into the office which is accessible plus I noticed on their site that there is another location which may well be accessible.
You need to call them to enquire nearer the time (or now to put your mind at rest) but agree with others that you need to really look into health insurance in USA for mum before you get started on this
Old Jan 29th 2011, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
There are 2 London Embassy doc locations - one in Knightsbridge (there may well be a back way into the office which is accessible plus I noticed on their site that there is another location which may well be accessible.
You need to call them to enquire nearer the time (or now to put your mind at rest) but agree with others that you need to really look into health insurance in USA for mum before you get started on this
Agreed...if they can't get health insurance or can't afford it then there's no point in going any further.