Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Originally Posted by King Cobra
you need to provide a notarised marriage certificate
marriage certificate? Yes. Notarised? No. It has to be the original certificate and it does not need to be attested.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

King Cobra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sicklyman
marriage certificate? Yes. Notarised? No. It has to be the original certificate and it does not need to be attested.
According to the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia website, the following section states:

"All documents, i.e. power of attorney, commercial and incorporation agreements, licenses, marriage certificates (for Islamic marriage certificates see 3), birth and death certificates, diplomas from commercial institutes, must be notarized by:
◦notary public
◦The county clerk of the respective county where the notary public is commissioned; the county clerk is usually stationed in the court of the specific county where the notary public is commissioned.
◦Documents must then be certified under the seal of the local State Department.
◦Documents must be authenticated by the State Department in Authentication Division Washington, D.C. http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth
◦Documents should be sent to the following location:
Consular Section of The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia
601 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20037
Phone: 202-944-3126 .
Fee: $8.00 for each set of documents that must be legalized. Payment must be paid through https://enjazit.com.sa/Eservices. "
http://www.saudiembassy.net/services/document_regulations.aspx

Last edited by King Cobra; Mar 23rd 2014 at 3:43 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

heh... thanks for proving that just because something is written on a Saudi official website, it actually means anything in practice.

Neither my degree cert nor marriage cert were anything but originals (no notarisation, no attestation) and there were no questions asked. I've had quite a few colleagues here in Dammam succeed with just the certificates too.

Not to say that the guy who does your paperwork will be as lenient. Looking for common factors with my colleagues, we are all non-US citizens and we all did the paperwork ourselves rather than letting an agent/contractor do it. Maybe their harsher on certs from the US... who knows?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

acer100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

do you know how to get a causeway VIP pass? That would be helpful, with me travelling every day back and from Bahrain...

cheers
Old Mar 26th 2014, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

seasons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I am new on here, just joined today & I have found the info posted on here quite useful. I am trying to secure a teaching (ESL) position in KSA. I became a little apprehensive after reading some very negative comments in relation to some of the companies that find teaching positions.....imi your support is very much appreciated
Old Mar 27th 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by acer100
Hi,

do you know how to get a causeway VIP pass? That would be helpful, with me travelling every day back and from Bahrain...

cheers
this is like the Holy Grail for commuters. I went into the Causeway office on the Bahraini side and asked the guy who issues them in person. FWIW, here's the procedure:
  1. get a Bahraini CPR
  2. write a letter to some ministry office in Bahrain (I forget now which one he mentioned) This letter should state why you need to have access to the lane.
  3. get your company in Saudi to write an official letter backing up your need to use the lane for regular commuting. This should preferably be stamped to make it official i.e. with the Chamber of Commerce stamp from Saudi
  4. according to the guy there, this ministry will review your case and it should be a doddle to get a positive response. Once you have that, bring it to his office and they'll issue a pass. It will cost you BD1,000 annually.
He made this sound like the easiest process in the world to complete. I've never tried it because I still live in Saudi. I don't think you'd ever get a positive response unless you had some serious wasta, but if I lived in Bahrain, it would be one of the first things I'd get to work on. It is definitely worth a shot. Don't know anyone who has even attempted this, let alone succeeded.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 8:24 am
Just Joined

RSRK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by imi7
.... I am happy to help.

I have been working in this region for over 8 years, and lived here for almost 6 years. I have a good understanding of local laws/customs etc.

As a Brit expat, I am happy to help anyone searching for advice. As part of my job I regularly recruit from the UK to Saudi Arabia so am aware of all visa issues/work laws/general niggles.

Just throwing it out there

PS I don't charge - just doing my bit for the expats
Hi imi7

I have been in the kingdom for 4 weeks, am with aramco

i had some questions with regards taxation back the UK

how does one become declared non resident? i filled out a p85 form to say i am leaving the country, but does this make me non resident or do i have to ordinarily wait 1 year? i ask because of sending money home, and implications with this regard. i want to continue to pay my UK mortgage, im not renting my house so i dont think there are tax implications there, but if i want to save the bulk of my salary in a normal UK account, will there be tax implications?

kind regards

RSRK
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Gtvscott is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I am aware as long as you don't come back to the UK to live/work for a whole tax year then no tax will be due on your salary. if you have an interest bearing account other than an ISA then tax is taken off at source I believe.
I will shortly be in the same boat as you albeit with Sadara, but will be looking to rent my property out.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:56 am
Just Joined

TrickiRicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I'm have had my interviews and soon be receiving my contract (rolling 6 months) contracts, anything I need to be aware off?

Ricky
Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

RSRK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gtvscott
As far as I am aware as long as you don't come back to the UK to live/work for a whole tax year then no tax will be due on your salary. if you have an interest bearing account other than an ISA then tax is taken off at source I believe.
I will shortly be in the same boat as you albeit with Sadara, but will be looking to rent my property out.
thanks GTVScott

whats the implications of repatriating money then? we can repatriate money to anyone anytime? like if within the first year i was to send money to my family, like a brother or parents, would they have to pay any sort of tax?

its like if u gift your family property or money in the UK it incurs capitals gains right? so would me sending say 10k to my brother incur capital gains for him?

many thanks

RSRK
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

seasons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I would imagine that large sums would have implications .....?

Seasons
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

DaveSand is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in Qatar and passed my driving test there only but i was only ever issued with a temporary Qatari license which has expired. I am coming to Saudi this week Al Khobar what are the rules? I only have the above DL no UK one. I have been told to fetch this one with me. will I be able to exchange this one for a Saudi one? I also have no iquama yet obviously. I will be coming over for Al Hoty who have given me 10 days on pay to get the license. is this possible. Many thanks
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Robinlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Imi7

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830722

Hopefully the link above takes you to my post about Bahrain. I don't want to litter the forum with the same questions again and again. If you want to answer through this post that's fine.

I have a lot of questions about Bahrain.

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Dorris77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I'm currently in Bahrain soon to move to Al Kholbar, I have two small children 2 and 6 months, were British, can anyone recommend what compound would be best for us :-) thanks in advance
Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Dorris77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm nit sure if I've posted in the right place???? No response's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.