Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

steviehouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Originally Posted by imi7
What's the magic formula? I'm not too bad nowadays as I cut down on the crappy foods, but always good to know.
probably because I don't eat so healthily here, when I was in Saudi, there was only really chicken and rice available most places, especially where my colleagues took me.
So that was a bit more healthy for me.
Also when there I didnt feel the need to snack as I do back home
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

vickyplum is an unknown quantity at this point

.... I am happy to help.

I have been working in this region for over 8 years, and lived here for almost 6 years. I have a good understanding of local laws/customs etc.

As a Brit expat, I am happy to help anyone searching for advice. As part of my job I regularly recruit from the UK to Saudi Arabia so am aware of all visa issues/work laws/general niggles.

Just throwing it out there

PS I don't charge - just doing my bit for the expats
Hi there!

A very kind offer of assistance

I wanted to ask: I am a single (ie, not married) female in late-30s. I have applied for a secretarial role with Aramco. I haven't been for the interview yet as it's scheduled for April. I have been looking at various websites and can see that most women seem to move Saudi Arabia with their husbands and family. Is an unaccompanied woman working in a large ex-pat environment, completely unheard of / or more common than I think?

Just speculating at the moment but would be keen to hear "real life" feedback and not just spin! I live in London, UK at the moment.

Tx

Last edited by vickyplum; Mar 7th 2014 at 3:54 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickyplum
Hi there!

A very kind offer of assistance

I wanted to ask: I am a single (ie, not married) female in late-30s. I have applied for a secretarial role with Aramco. I haven't been for the interview yet as it's scheduled for April. I have been looking at various websites and can see that most women seem to move Saudi Arabia with their husbands and family. Is an unaccompanied woman working in a large ex-pat environment, completely unheard of / or more common than I think?

Just speculating at the moment but would be keen to hear "real life" feedback and not just spin!

Tx
quite common...nurses and teachers...not sure about inside Aramco though
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

yes, plenty of single expat women working for Aramco
Old Mar 8th 2014, 5:05 am
Just Joined

m4444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many single ladies working for Aramco of all nationalities. I met my wife of 20 years when we both worked for them. I have no hesitation on advising people to work for Aramco. You will enjoy the experience.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Mzala is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i will be moving to Riyadh shortly (as a single unaccompanied man) from the UK. So i have been trolling accommodation websites to see whats available outside compounds.
I have noticed that in almost all the ads i have looked at, it appears it is the current tenants doing the adverts rather than landlords or real estate agents!

Is this the norm? Sounds rather unusual to be dealing with someone other than the property owner or estate agent?

Could you help explain how all this works please.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Evertongerry is an unknown quantity at this point

.... I am happy to help.

I have been working in this region for over 8 years, and lived here for almost 6 years. I have a good understanding of local laws/customs etc.

As a Brit expat, I am happy to help anyone searching for advice. As part of my job I regularly recruit from the UK to Saudi Arabia so am aware of all visa issues/work laws/general niggles.

Just throwing it out there

PS I don't charge - just doing my bit for the expats

Hi IMI7 ,

I have just arrived in the Kingdom , my problem is I arrived with only 7 months on my passport , can I get a new passport in Riyadh or will I have to go back to London , if so how do I get my visa passed onto my new passport ? Any help would be great as I am hitting brick walls here .
Thank .
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:39 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evertongerry
can I get a new passport in Riyadh or will I have to go back to London , if so how do I get my visa passed onto my new passport ?
Google search or search of this forum would have brought you this link https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult
We all have to apply back to UK for passports, sending via courier. Italian friend of mine visited their embassy in Dubai and had a new passport in 20 minutes, but our embassy does nothing for us.
Don't know about visa.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evertongerry
Hi IMI7 ,

I have just arrived in the Kingdom , my problem is I arrived with only 7 months on my passport , can I get a new passport in Riyadh or will I have to go back to London , if so how do I get my visa passed onto my new passport ? Any help would be great as I am hitting brick walls here .
Thank .
in the UAE your visa stayed in your old passport which was then stapled to your new passport
Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Hi everybody, currently working in Dubai as a primary teacher but tempted to apply for teaching positions in Saudi if it meant receiving a better package. Can anybody advise on well established Saudi schools/ schools I should/should not consider applying to. Thanks in advance :-)
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Evertongerry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flares
in the UAE your visa stayed in your old passport which was then stapled to your new passport
Thank you very much .

Originally Posted by mikewot
Google search or search of this forum would have brought you this link https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult
We all have to apply back to UK for passports, sending via courier. Italian friend of mine visited their embassy in Dubai and had a new passport in 20 minutes, but our embassy does nothing for us.
Don't know about visa.
Thanks mate .

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 17th 2014 at 5:02 am. Reason: merge
Old Mar 21st 2014, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

chanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
This seems like the place I have been looking for. I hope someone can give me some advice.

I have been offered a great job at a school in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Though now I am at the stage where I am trying to figure out if I can get visa's for my family. I am a British citizen and my wife is a Filipino national. We have a baby son together, who is a Filipino and UK national. We have another son (my stepson), who is 11 years old. He is a Filipino national. My wife was never married previously, however her ex is on the birth certificate, though does not support him really at all. They are in contact with each other though.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get my stepson a visa? I have read a lot of different opinions online. Some state I would need to get a notarised letter of no objection from the father.. others state that I would have to adopt him.

The whole adoption process is a huge thing, long winded and complicated due to the Philippines being a difficult place to sort these things out in general and it not being part of Hague Convention (so I read).

If anyone could shade some light on the subject, if would be hugely appreciated!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

welcome chanco.

I take it your school is bringing you on a bachelor status visa and that they will therefore leave the paperwork for your family up to you. If not, then what do the school advise?

If I were you, I would talk to someone who has a lot of experience in this area and dealing with officials. In other words, a visa agent who handles cases like yours all the time. As you're from the UK, I'll recommend getting in touch with Ian Palmer at Harley Medical and Visa Services in London. They are very professional and deal with a lot of Saudi visas. If they can't answer your question, they'll more than likely know someone who can. Contact details below:

Tel: +44 (0) 207 636 7333
Fax: +44 (0) 207 636 7373
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site: www.harleymedvisa.co.uk
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:15 am
Just Joined

chanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sicklyman,
I think they are bringing me out on a family visa. They told me that I would need to fly ahead in August to get my visa sorted first, before bringing out my family. I believe they are speaking to a visa broker about my situation, as it's not as straightforward.

I am currently in Qatar and have been here for 4 years, so I know the way the Middle East can work, just not Saudi.

I just wanted to put it out there, incase someone has been in a similar situation, or knows a friend/colleague who has been through it all and reached a positive outcome.

Thanks for the advice, sicklyman!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

King Cobra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chanco
Hi everyone,
This seems like the place I have been looking for. I hope someone can give me some advice.

I have been offered a great job at a school in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Though now I am at the stage where I am trying to figure out if I can get visa's for my family. I am a British citizen and my wife is a Filipino national. We have a baby son together, who is a Filipino and UK national. We have another son (my stepson), who is 11 years old. He is a Filipino national. My wife was never married previously, however her ex is on the birth certificate, though does not support him really at all. They are in contact with each other though.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get my stepson a visa? I have read a lot of different opinions online. Some state I would need to get a notarised letter of no objection from the father.. others state that I would have to adopt him.

The whole adoption process is a huge thing, long winded and complicated due to the Philippines being a difficult place to sort these things out in general and it not being part of Hague Convention (so I read).

If anyone could shade some light on the subject, if would be hugely appreciated!
To bring your wife and baby, you need to provide a notarised marriage certificate and birth certificate for the baby. I guess for the stepson, it will be very difficult to get him a visa if you do not have a birth certificate showing your name as the father. Also, adoption in Saudi Arabia is illegal (Sharia Law).
I guess an alternative possible option for you is for your wife to provide a notarised divorce certificate from her ex-husband and then you have to apply as a sponsorship for your stepson through your wife. I know things are very complicated in Saudi Arabia when it comes to family visa, but with a 'wasta' you might be able to solve your problem.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.