Reload this Page >

Move to Jeddah - visa confusion....no surprise

Move to Jeddah - visa confusion....no surprise

Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

nemom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Jeddah - visa confusion....no surprise

Hi everyone
My husband has a job at a British school in Jeddah - he has his work visa and leaves next Fri. We have 2 kids and are keen to get out there as soon as possible. I have trawled sites, called agents and I never seem to get a straight answer! I thought getting residency in Qatar was a nightmare! All I want to know is are we talking months before we can get out to start our lives? My daughter is 13 and I don't want her to miss too much school, plus living with the mother-in-law for months could turn ugly
If his iqama is done in a reasonably timely fashion, is the family visa fairly straightforward?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:09 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice
Default Re: Move to Jeddah - visa confusion....no surprise

Originally Posted by nemom
If his iqama is done in a reasonably timely fashion, is the family visa fairly straightforward?
Nothing is straightforward in Saudi (maybe except driving in roundabouts )
Check this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773821
Note that schools usualy refuse to accept your daughter until she gets her iqama (of course there are wasta-exceptions)
Old Aug 17th 2013, 10:30 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

In my case I had to wait about 6-7 weeks for my Iqama and once that happened the visa for my family was very quick , about 2 days after I sent them the yellow receipt from the government . They got their Iqamas about 1 week after arriving .
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is all up to his sponsor ("Kafeel") who has to process things at the Saudi end. Competent ones with good connections ("wasta") can do it quickly. That could mean up to 12 weeks.

If he is with one of the two reputable schools in Jeddah it should be okay.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. The school is Jeddah Prep and Grammar - the British and Dutch embassy school - with any luck, the iqama will be quick inshallah
For anyone else needing a family visa, this was an excellent link - straightforward and made some sense of the amazing amount of bureaucracy!
http://workinginsaudiarabia.blogspot...di-arabia.html

With any luck we should be in Jeddah before Xmas...
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

weird - I replied to thank you guys but it hasn't shown up...
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:40 am
Just Joined

surreysaira is an unknown quantity at this point

can I ask what compound you guys decided to stay in?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the employer - in this case Jeddah Prep - will determine where they live. Getting an accommodation allowance and looking for your own place is not a good idea. The property market in Saudi Arabia is no place for a newbie !
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
I think the employer - in this case Jeddah Prep - will determine where they live. Getting an accommodation allowance and looking for your own place is not a good idea. The property market in Saudi Arabia is no place for a newbie !
Oh gosh really?? That is what I am trying to do! My husband will be working in Rabigh so we have decided (been recommended by his employers) to live in Jeddah whilst he commutes. I am looking into compounds via internet blog recommendations!
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Get the employer to find accommodation - or at least help you. Rabigh has developed in recent years and it could be that there is now decent accommodation there

http://www.rabigh.com/

Last edited by scot47; Aug 27th 2013 at 8:15 am.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

My husband has been given a dire apartment on the JPG compound....we were promised a villa as there are 4 of us and the kids are 13 and 20 months...there is water leaking through the ceiling, and it is tiny.....not sure what to do now - do ultimatums work out there?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

You have to create drama and kick up a fuss - that is the only way things are done around these areas. Seriously, its our Eastern mentality
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you surreysaira! But maybe a big, scary looking man kicking up a fuss may freak them out! But it is worth a try. In all honesty I just want to get out and start our lives there - everything else sounds fantastic about the school and the life that goes with it - it would be daft to do an about turn for the sake of bad accommodation. Then again, maybe I am just missing my husband too much to think rationally!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you get the housing sorted out ?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

sham6900 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
have been in Jeddah for a month and am English.
I would like to learn Arabic. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.