Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Beaches near Montpellier

Beaches near Montpellier

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Wendybee is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Beaches near Montpellier

We will be spending an afternoon in Montpellier soon and would like to have a swim in the Med. As we don't know the area at all I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good beach for swimming? We would prefer it to be Montpellier west rather than east as that is the direction that we will be coming from. Oh, and if anyone can suggest a good beach that also has some reasonably priced restaurants nearby that would be a bonus! Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 10:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beaches near Montpellier

Originally Posted by Wendybee
We will be spending an afternoon in Montpellier soon and would like to have a swim in the Med. As we don't know the area at all I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good beach for swimming? We would prefer it to be Montpellier west rather than east as that is the direction that we will be coming from. Oh, and if anyone can suggest a good beach that also has some reasonably priced restaurants nearby that would be a bonus! Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Hi
Palavas-les-Flots or Carnon Plage, but if you go further west, you've got the various beaches between Sète, Marseillan-Plage and Cap d'Agde, if not Valras-Plage south of Béziers.
Sorry I can't help with restaurants!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

I spent an afternoon in Sete. We parked our car on the western edge of the town and walked into town for lunch. After lunch, we went shopping for a mobile phone battery charger whilst our daughter went back to the car to read a book. She was very annoyed not to have her costume with her as the local lads were swimming right next to the car park,

We were camping on the long stretch of beach to the west of Sete.

the restaurant was one of many serving mussels. Personally I prefer to cook my own on a gaz stove with some salad 3 euros for a kilo of mussels and maybe 2 euros for the salad.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendybee
I spent a year doing a course in Montpellier, and most of my days off were spent (weather permitting) on Carnon beach. I used to go to Palavas, but found it a bit "touristy" so someone advised me to go to Carnon. Really nice beaches, and easy to get to. Le Grau du Roi is supposed to be a really nice seaside town but I never had the chance to go there - I was so skint at the time I didn't have a car and got about on an old Solex, so it wasn't an option for me. If you have a car then maybe its a place to consider