Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

British citizenship and Southern Rhodesia

British citizenship and Southern Rhodesia

Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship and Southern Rhodesia

Originally Posted by Kels1977
Thank you for your response.

My mom is now a South African Citizen. She became South African in 1987.

I think because my Dad has passed away she can't claim claim Right of Abode as a Commonwealth woman married to a British man before 1983, but will have to research further on this.
Look at the ROA requirements at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk however as far as I know she needs to have been a Commonwealth citizen continuously since 1983. South Africa wasn't Commonwealth in 1987, so did she keep her Zimbabwe citizenship when she became South African or not? You may need to check to see what Zimbabwe law says.

Are you sure she wasn't automatically South African because her father was born there?

The law is so complex you will probably need to find a good immigration solicitor to verify everything and ensure nothing is missed but these are the questions I would start from.

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 17th 2012 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:10 am
Just Joined

shiffers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British citizenship and Southern Rhodesia

Hi Jaj,

I've noticed you're quite clued up as to what the laws and requirements are for obtaining British citizenship, so hopefully you can help me out.

My Mother was born in Southern Rhodesia (Harare) in 1960 and received a British Passport & was a "British Subject". Her father was also born in Southern Rhodesia in 1931, and had a British Passport, he however was a "British Citizen by Birth of United Kingdom & Colonies". Her Grandfather was born in Tottenham in the late 1800's and was a "British Citizen".

Now, I have been to an immigration lawyer, who in my mind ripped me off for what I paid for and didn't really give me any answers.

My first question would be is my Mom still eligible for a British Passport & would it require a 'new adult passport application' or would she have to simply 'renew' her passport?

Now whilst I have done some research, I am still somewhat unsure as to whether or not her passport would entitle me to obtain one, or whether her father's passport would entitle me to obtain one.

If my grandfather was a British Citizen by Birth would that not entitle me to obtain a Passport by Double Descent? Obviously my mother's passport would be by Descent, and she would not be able to pass it on to me.

If you get a moment - and you don't mind helping me out or pointing me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!