Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L2 Visa holder about to divorce and I want to stay in the US

L2 Visa holder about to divorce and I want to stay in the US

Old May 7th 2011, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Loo- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 Visa holder about to divorce and I want to stay in the US

Im sorry, this is going to be a long one, but I have absolutely no idea where to start.

I'm a Brit and have been living in the US for the last 4 years on L2 visa, obtained through my british husbands L1 visa. And unfortunately we decided to divorce.

Firstly, my L2 visa and work permit are valid for another 14 months, but if my husband leaves the country I presume they are invalid, is this true?

Secondly, I desperately want to stay and build my life in the US. I have no degree, but I do have professional qualifications, and I am very employable as a jeweler - as of right now I have no position though as I have been running back and forth to the UK for the last year to help take care of my father, but I would have no issue finding employment and have several offers - but I have not mentioned my visa issue yet. Does anyone know if there is any chance I can stay in the US with so little qualifications - all visas seem to be given out to brain surgeons and such. If so, any information would be appreciated - just a point in the right direction of somthing useful to read even would be amazing!

I had the following thoughts:

- is it even possible for a company to sponsor someone who isn't a brain surgeon, and what are the costs involved in this, for my employer and myself

- would it be better if I owned a house in the US?

- are larger companies or smaller companies more likely to sponser someone

Thank you for any information, and sorry for rambling, im a little stressed out

Loo
Old May 7th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 Visa holder about to divorce and I want to stay in the US

As far as I am aware once your husband leave the US then your visa is not valid anymore, same I believe if when you get divorced it is not legal anymore

Owning a house in the US makes no difference

Finding employer maybe easy but getting visa may be the hard part, H1b required degree at the minimum unless you have over 12 years experience (sure someone with more experience will confirm this)
Old May 7th 2011, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Silver Dragon,

I have been doing research, and I am very sure I am going to find it difficult or impossible. But I am just wanting to check every nook and cranny. The divorce will take a while I guess, so I am not to worried about that yet.

I don't have a degree, but I have a Graduate Gemologist diploma, which is a great qualification (almost a degree) in my industry. I wonder if they would consider that.

Thank you again, I appreciate your time
Old May 7th 2011, 5:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loo-
Im sorry, this is going to be a long one, but I have absolutely no idea where to start.

I'm a Brit and have been living in the US for the last 4 years on L2 visa, obtained through my british husbands L1 visa. And unfortunately we decided to divorce.

Firstly, my L2 visa and work permit are valid for another 14 months, but if my husband leaves the country I presume they are invalid, is this true?

Secondly, I desperately want to stay and build my life in the US. I have no degree, but I do have professional qualifications, and I am very employable as a jeweler - as of right now I have no position though as I have been running back and forth to the UK for the last year to help take care of my father, but I would have no issue finding employment and have several offers - but I have not mentioned my visa issue yet. Does anyone know if there is any chance I can stay in the US with so little qualifications - all visas seem to be given out to brain surgeons and such. If so, any information would be appreciated - just a point in the right direction of somthing useful to read even would be amazing!

I had the following thoughts:

- is it even possible for a company to sponsor someone who isn't a brain surgeon, and what are the costs involved in this, for my employer and myself

- would it be better if I owned a house in the US?

- are larger companies or smaller companies more likely to sponser someone

Thank you for any information, and sorry for rambling, im a little stressed out

Loo
you have said nothing that says you can stay... the day he leave his job or you leave him ..its time to leave the US
Old May 7th 2011, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ray,

I guess I first need to check if my Graduate Gemologist "degree" counts for anything.

Maybe I could go down the student route and study for 3 years..... kill two birds with one stone.......

Thank you again
Loo
Old May 7th 2011, 6:27 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike an L, an F-1 student is required to have a foreign residence they don't plan to abandon. F-1 have significant restrictions on where they can work, and how many hours they can work. Keep that in mind.
Old May 7th 2011, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
Unlike an L, an F-1 student is required to have a foreign residence they don't plan to abandon. F-1 have significant restrictions on where they can work, and how many hours they can work. Keep that in mind.
could she try and study on the J visa?
Old May 7th 2011, 8:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
How would she get the J1 though? It's limited to within a short time frame of between 1/3 years depending on graduation and/or on job training.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That's basically it really, have a large wedge of cash and start a jewellery business or if you were uber well known in the trade and could pursue the O1, but that's unlikely.

Sucky situation to be in, good luck.
Old May 7th 2011, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The obvious solution would be a US SO.

Might be a bit premature.
Old May 8th 2011, 11:04 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
People can and do try a lot of things. A J-1 is required to have a foreign residence as well and even if possible, work would be limited to a specific employer. Many J-1 end up leaving with less money than before once they cover their expenses.

Health insurance is another concern that needs to be considered.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

How amicable is the divorce? Is your husband planning on leaving the US?

Just wondering out loud here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

If your husband is planning on staying in the US on his L1 -- and is willing to help you out -- maybe the two of you can get separated but not divorced. And then you might be able to continue using your L2. Again, I'm not sure, but I don't know if their is a requirement the the L2 holder has to actually live with the L1 holder.

May be worth checking into.

- Eric S.
Old May 9th 2011, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Wow, thank you for all the responses, sorry I didn't reply earlier - I thought I got email notification when they came through, but aparently not this time

Im just going to read through them, and do a little research on suggestions, then I will come back tomorrorw with more questions im sure. I just wanted to say thanks first, and not post and run

The divorce is ammicable btw, and I can continue using the visa until my husband leaves the country, but I don't know when that will be. My visa does run out in 14 months though so I would like to have somthing in place by then.

I have thought though, if I get an employer sponsorship, its all about proving they can't get the skills anywhere else right, in the jewelry industry I am sure this is very subjective and hard to quantify - especially in terms of "qualifications". Oh well off to read now - Just thinking out loud too.

Cheers everyone you have no idea how much I appreciate the feedback!
Loo
Old May 9th 2011, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Boiler - sorry but whats an SO?

Sorry to be jumping in hear with no background, well I have read quite a bit, I just have no idea on how to make this work, and I wanted to get pointed in the right direction before spending weeks reading through things I dont understand, or need.

Thank you again
Old May 9th 2011, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

A large wedge of cash would be like $350k I read somewhere, right? I could start my own jewelry business, but I am likely to have $150K at most, and how successful does this business have to actually be? I mean I could easily start a small business and earn enough to live on, but I presume they want more than this.
Old May 9th 2011, 5:33 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loo-
Boiler - sorry but whats an SO?
"Significant Other" i.e. a new relationship with a US citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.