Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

Originally Posted by SAZZLED
Well actually I was thinking that if I am not happy with my decision to be in England then I was considering Ontario... Why do you say Cornwall isnt the best place to be.. what are the negatives and positives ?
Cornwall is an old industrial city most notable for it's Domtar paper mill and the resident stench that it produced. Domtar closed down last year so that's ceased to be an issue but generally the job market isn't all that great.

As I said before housing is very affordable here and it's just an hour's drive away from Ottawa and Montreal and it has a bridge crossing to the US. With the right iniatives it could be a great centre for tourism and make some real progress. But it almost feels like the community doesn't want that.

I don't know why I said it's not the best place to be because it does have potential but as I don't feel completely settled I guess I tend to not see the positives.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

All I will say is that as a fellow 27 year old living in Vancouver, the problem is not "Canada" - it's that you're stuck in small town Saskatchewan!

Even most Canadians living in cities like Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto would feel the same way as you if that's where they found themselves all of a sudden.

Don't give up on Canada just yet, but certainly get yourself out of the small town. And don't bother moving to a small city - they won't give you the cosmopolitan feeling you're craving. Go to Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto.

Otherwise, this situation is akin to a Canadian from Toronto moving to a small village in rural Ukraine, then complaining how dull their life is ... in Europe. When in fact, the problem is not Europe. It's just the region they've chosen within Europe.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:31 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

Originally Posted by SAZZLED
Ok, Ill try and make this as simple as I can. Ive lived in Saskatchewan for nearly 3 years now, moved over here with my fiance... I live in city which only has 17k people...there is not much choice in anything to do I have come to realise, I am 27 and I feel like I am wasting my life here, whilst my fiance's career has progressed mine has not and I dred going to work as I find it so boring and unchallenging, in the UK I had a progressing career and I miss that, I also miss Asda and Tesco I miss Dorothy Perkins and Marks and Spencers..oo I miss a curry after a night out... what on earth leads people to a donut at the end of a drunken evening... lol
I feel that there is so much choice in the uk when it comes to shopping, restaurants and nightlife and I am not sure if i am making a terrible mistake by thinking these things are more important than some wide open skies... what is the be all and end all ?? My fiance however does not have the same opinions as me which means I would be moving back to England without him, I would be going it alone and perhaps he would move back with me after a few months.. that is only a perhaps however..
Also as I have been away 3 years nearly I am concerned about getting a mortgage etc.... do I have to start my credit rating all over again.. I did NOT keep my bank accounts open after I left.
Any adivce on my situation would be greatly appreciated....

We were in Vancouver for 6 and a half years and when we came back it was like we were never away. We were working 3 weeks later.

Make sure you've got your citizenship cos you never know how you'll feel after a few weeks, months, years back here.

Good luck

Last edited by Londonuck; Nov 27th 2007 at 9:37 am.