Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING BACK TO UK FROM CANADA... ADVICE PLZ...:-)

Originally Posted by SAZZLED
I see a move back to England easier than another move elsewhere within Canada... but again.. I dont even know if I am thinking straight anymore !!
I dont think it is, certainly not from a credit, financial point of view. All thats sorted in canada now...the hard part is over.

And the financial penalty ping ponging back and forth across the atlantic is eye watering.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Ghetto Mart is not like ASDA. Asda is just sooo much better than Wal Mart.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
Ghetto Mart is not like ASDA. Asda is just sooo much better than Wal Mart.
Its a shop people...you arent going to live in it. You probably wont spend an hour a week in it.

Lets try and keep an eye on whats really important.

Is Asda really that important to you, or is it just the familiarity you crave?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

SAZZLED will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a shop people...you arent going to live in it. You probably wont spend an hour a week in it.

Yes it is just a shop, but doing the weekly shop, having choices, having more than one or two shops to buy clothes etc... that is all part of life too. I dont have that choice here at all..... even in the bigger cities - its just not the same as back home- doesnt even come close in my eyes ! But thats just me...
Ive been here nearly 3 years so its not so much a familiarity issue as much as it is just a pining I have inside me to live there again, but I dont have that feeling all of the time, I definitely have it MOST of the time however.. now I've been reading up a lot about moving back and its not just a rash decision and I am concerned about what a lot of people say about England being a sh*thole... that makes me feel very negative and really makes me reconsider my options - all I know is that I am unhappy here, I feel trapped.....bored and have nothing to look forward to, yes - I have a lovely house and I have my fiance here... but I will not compromise me being unhappy for the rest of my life... but also don't want to make a huge mistake either.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yes it is just a shop, but doing the weekly shop, having choices, having more than one or two shops to buy clothes etc... that is all part of life too. I dont have that choice here at all..... even in the bigger cities -
Dont be silly, Are you saying Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto only have two clothes shops... Even poor little Belleville is better provided for than that.

It honestly sounds to me like small town two horse SK is getting you down. You need to discuss it seiously with your fiance. Your happyness should be pretty high on his list of priorities you know....maybe not high enough to drop everything and head to the UK permanently, but certainly high enough to discuss and check out you other options, either within canada or for a trip back to see whether its remotely like you remember it.

I always get a bit excited at the thought of a trip back, but the reality of the place never quite matches up to the memory.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 14th 2007 at 11:35 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Thanks for that. It's all so clear now...
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:23 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi
Bottom line is I followed my wife here (to Canada) and I'd never leave without her. If she insisted on going to the moon I'd go with her.
Jonathan
Ahhh...that is so sweet.

Kingston might be a compromise option for the OP, if she wants to consider another province. I have warmed to it on my various trips over there in the last twelve to eighteen months. It is certainly a good compromise between living in SK and larger cities, like Toronto or Montreal.

I do understand the shopping issue... Retail therapy of the British kind is a distinct part of the average British females relaxation time. I used to spend a whole day just mooching around Knightsbridge (couldn't afford anything much, but it was fun). There is NO choice in places like Moose Jaw or Swift Current and it can be quite frustrating to see the same rubbish sold in the different chains owned by the same company (like The Bay and Zellers).

What is clear from the OP is the level of discontent she is experiencing. All I can say is fix it now, before it's too late to go back or change the direction of your life.

I have to question whether I am about to commit career suicide for the second time in my life by going back to the UK. Isn't that ironic? The OP sounds young enough (and free enough) to do what she wants without hurting anyone other than herself and the bloke. I know what I'd do in her shoes.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:41 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think it is, certainly not from a credit, financial point of view. All thats sorted in canada now...the hard part is over.

And the financial penalty ping ponging back and forth across the atlantic is eye watering.
This part is really worrying. I totalled the cost of my impending move back and it is around $45,000 door to door, not including the purchase of vehicles and set up costs back in the UK. This will be the second time.....
Old Nov 15th 2007, 4:33 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do have PR... I have had that for over a year now, so I am able to go back to England and return if i so wish, as long as I am here for 2 out of 5 years.. so I may just return to England and if i decide its not for me either then I will return elsewhere in Canada... I see a move back to England easier than another move elsewhere within Canada... but again.. I dont even know if I am thinking straight anymore !!
Oh dear. You sound homesick, bored, fed up, confused and stressed, exactly what I have been for the last few months here in the US. Take some time to breathe. Clear your head. Sorry this isn't advice, I just felt for your post. All the best whatever happens. (And dont be rash)
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Ahhh...that is so sweet.

Kingston might be a compromise option for the OP, if she wants to consider another province. I have warmed to it on my various trips over there in the last twelve to eighteen months. It is certainly a good compromise between living in SK and larger cities, like Toronto or Montreal.
I've been working in Guelph for a few weeks, in a team of shopping obsessed women, every Monday morning there's an hour of outfit analysis, then one of analysis of outfits considered but not purchased, on and on. Is Guelph a shopping mecca? Obviously not but Detroit, or more precisely the affluent suburbs of Detroit, seem to have everything and that's where they go on weekends. It seems to me that if shopping is important so is proximity to a big US city, I'd look at places driveable to Detroit or Chicago.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've been working in Guelph for a few weeks, in a team of shopping obsessed women, every Monday morning there's an hour of outfit analysis, then one of analysis of outfits considered but not purchased, on and on. Is Guelph a shopping mecca? Obviously not but Detroit, or more precisely the affluent suburbs of Detroit, seem to have everything and that's where they go on weekends. It seems to me that if shopping is important so is proximity to a big US city, I'd look at places driveable to Detroit or Chicago.
Seconded. It may look like the middle of nowhere on a map but there there are so many reachable places by car or cheap airfare that you don't feel cut off as I did in Winnipeg. I love big cities but the OH won't entertain living in one - so this is a good compromise. Detroit metro area has some excellent shopping, and Chicago is great for an overnighter.

Try somewhere else in Canada first OP, you might be pleasantly surprised
Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

I second the idea of a look around places like Kingston...that's where we'll be going and it's just lovely. It's just busy enough without feeling lost, has easy links to upstate NY, Toronto, Ottawa etc and has some lovely clothes shops , the larger chains as well as some individual boutique types.

Eating out there is good - a huge choice. With Queens and St Lawrence (universities) and the military base it feels young and vibrant without being in your face. Just my opinion

Good luck and sending you positive thoughts

Maggie
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

If I could offer 1 piece of advice about coming back to the UK it would be......DON'T!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Ill try and make this as simple as I can. Ive lived in Saskatchewan for nearly 3 years now, moved over here with my fiance... I live in city which only has 17k people...there is not much choice in anything to do I have come to realise, I am 27 and I feel like I am wasting my life here, whilst my fiance's career has progressed mine has not and I dred going to work as I find it so boring and unchallenging, in the UK I had a progressing career and I miss that, I also miss Asda and Tesco I miss Dorothy Perkins and Marks and Spencers..oo I miss a curry after a night out... what on earth leads people to a donut at the end of a drunken evening... lol
I feel that there is so much choice in the uk when it comes to shopping, restaurants and nightlife and I am not sure if i am making a terrible mistake by thinking these things are more important than some wide open skies... what is the be all and end all ?? My fiance however does not have the same opinions as me which means I would be moving back to England without him, I would be going it alone and perhaps he would move back with me after a few months.. that is only a perhaps however..
You've been here the same amount of time that we have. I'm married to a Canadian and we moved to Canada in 2004. We live in Cornwall, Ontario which isn't the best place on earth but it's cheap for housing and pleasant enough. It's a city with a population of 46,000 but I find it pretty dull. I keep telling myself that we live on the border with the US, we're also an hours drive from Montreal and Ottawa so why am I bored by it all? I guess it's because I'm a dull person but I wasn't like this when I lived in the UK.

Like you I miss all the familiar UK stores and I haven't found anything here to make that feeling go away.

When we arrived here I had my three daughters with me. My first one, aged 19 at the time fled back to England after only nine months. My second daughter now aged 21 lives in Edmonton but would have moved back within the year if she hadn't found love here. Unfortunately she's involved with a Canadian that as pleasant as he is thinks that there's nothing of any significance outside of Canada. My third daughter, aged 17 has just told me that she'd like to move back next year. She seemed to settle here really well but for now at least the shine has worn off.

Me? I'd move back in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact that we own our house outright here and that my wife's family live close by. I've good, logical reasons to stay here but I have no deep, inner sense of happiness from it especially as one by one my grown up children seem to be heading back.

None of this helps you in your ponderings of course, but I completely relate to how you feel.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:58 am
Just Joined

SAZZLED will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stepnek
You've been here the same amount of time that we have. I'm married to a Canadian and we moved to Canada in 2004. We live in Cornwall, Ontario which isn't the best place on earth but it's cheap for housing and pleasant enough. It's a city with a population of 46,000 but I find it pretty dull. I keep telling myself that we live on the border with the US, we're also an hours drive from Montreal and Ottawa so why am I bored by it all? I guess it's because I'm a dull person but I wasn't like this when I lived in the UK.

Like you I miss all the familiar UK stores and I haven't found anything here to make that feeling go away.

When we arrived here I had my three daughters with me. My first one, aged 19 at the time fled back to England after only nine months. My second daughter now aged 21 lives in Edmonton but would have moved back within the year if she hadn't found love here. Unfortunately she's involved with a Canadian that as pleasant as he is thinks that there's nothing of any significance outside of Canada. My third daughter, aged 17 has just told me that she'd like to move back next year. She seemed to settle here really well but for now at least the shine has worn off.

Me? I'd move back in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact that we own our house outright here and that my wife's family live close by. I've good, logical reasons to stay here but I have no deep, inner sense of happiness from it especially as one by one my grown up children seem to be heading back.

None of this helps you in your ponderings of course, but I completely relate to how you feel.
Well actually I was thinking that if I am not happy with my decision to be in England then I was considering Ontario... Why do you say Cornwall isnt the best place to be.. what are the negatives and positives ?
Well I am sorry for you that you feel you can't go back to England due to your wife being near her family etc.. do you visit often ? Would your wife not reconsider moving back with you.. I just hope that wherever I end eventually will make me the happy bubbly lass I used to be instead of this boring 27 year old grandma I feel I am turning into.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.