Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

St Helena Island Police recruitment

St Helena Island Police recruitment

Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

St Helena Police is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St Helena Island Police recruitment

Hello
Anyone visiting this thread is either interested in working or living overseas as a police officer or they just like surfing the net. If it is the former option then a small opportunity now is available for Sgt and PC posts on the small sub tropical island of St Helena. The island is one of the remotest islands in the world as it currently has no airport (soon to change), so it takes about a week to get here (boat and plane). It is a British Overseas Territory with a small 4000 population. The law is based on UK law. There is local police recruitment taking place see http://www.saint.fm/Independent/index.htm but the up take by local residents is not very high and overseas officers are required.

Before you say sign me up, the pay is on local wages and as the average island wage is £5500 the PC gets £8100 and Sgt a few thousand more. Not great if used to UK wages but then you wouldn’t come here for the money but you would come to St Helena for the adventure and of course life experience or see Napoleons House……... and of course the sun. Anyway, I surfed this site last year when I was researching where to go as a copper (in the sun) and found this site very useful. If anyone wants to know about the island or police I will try to answer your questions as I currently work here and would like to encourage others to join as we are under staffed!

Signed
The almost remotest island in the world (TARIITW)
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

coupland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: St Helena Island Police recruitment

Originally Posted by St Helena Police
Hello
Anyone visiting this thread is either interested in working or living overseas as a police officer or they just like surfing the net. If it is the former option then a small opportunity now is available for Sgt and PC posts on the small sub tropical island of St Helena. The island is one of the remotest islands in the world as it currently has no airport (soon to change), so it takes about a week to get here (boat and plane). It is a British Overseas Territory with a small 4000 population. The law is based on UK law. There is local police recruitment taking place see http://www.saint.fm/Independent/index.htm but the up take by local residents is not very high and overseas officers are required.

Before you say sign me up, the pay is on local wages and as the average island wage is £5500 the PC gets £8100 and Sgt a few thousand more. Not great if used to UK wages but then you wouldn’t come here for the money but you would come to St Helena for the adventure and of course life experience or see Napoleons House……... and of course the sun. Anyway, I surfed this site last year when I was researching where to go as a copper (in the sun) and found this site very useful. If anyone wants to know about the island or police I will try to answer your questions as I currently work here and would like to encourage others to join as we are under staffed!

Signed
Hi,

An interesting post, but with the pay so low I assume the cost of living is extremely cheap.
Please could you tell about the day in the life of a Police Officer out there? ALso when I read the advert its more based on an Officer who has recently retired or wants to take a career break.
However, and very good post and I am sure a wonderful job.

Thanks

Coup
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

peacefulwarrior is an unknown quantity at this point

Good day to you and thanks for the opportunity to sharing your experience with us.Question:how was your adaptability in the island with the general population and fellow workers.You decided to stay or you have an extension of contract.
Thank you for your answers.
PW
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

benjyp10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Signed
Hi

Looked at the link and found no mention of recruiting. I have sent them an email requesting further information. Do you have any further information.

Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

I completed a reply yesterday but it was redirected to the administrator and still hasn't been released. It was a long reply so if still no update I will write another reply.
Great,looking to no more about tour of duty schedule,off time to enjoy the island and possibility for career adventure and opportunities in the service if the pc like the pd and the stay in a remote island with no airports.is theyre any field advancement or promotion in the future years for a pc to work in st helena, ascension island or tristan da cuna after the first post.do you have a criminal investigation division,a patrol division, after the pc the the complaint or incidence report ,is it like the others service and the files is investigate by ci and senior ci etc. thank you for all the important info to help ,make a wise decision. heard to many horor stories about barbados or cayman police force.

thanks
PW
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:53 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

If a member contains a link/email within their first 3 posts it automatically gets sent to a moderation queue for a moderator to check its not spam (as you can imagine we get inudated with spam) and St Helena Police had made a wonderful long post in response to your questions, which contained an email address and so got placed in the moderation queue. Unfortunately I inadvertently hit the delete button instead of the "approve"

Luckily I had two windows open at the time so I've copied the original post. Aplogies to St Helena Police ... I'll endeavour not to do that again in hurry

I will reply to all three posts in one go.

Cost of living is not as cheap as you would expect but if you smoke cigarettes they are about £2.50 a pack, bottle of beer is £1.20 in a bar, spirits about a £1 a shot, fillet steak £7 for 6 good size portions, eggs £2 for a dozen, can of bake beans £1 plus (expensive to import). To eat out at a good restaurant with a bottle of wine approx. £30 for two. Diesel 90 pence a litre and petrol £1.35 a litre. There are no homeless persons on the island and crime is low so the local population survive with the low salaries but could and should be better. If you were considering applying as a police officer here then you would get free accommodation, travel to the island and return, also the police pick you up for work and take you home so you don't have t have a car if you don't want one, but can hire one for £12 per day. Car insurance is very low and taxes are not too bad, so you can stretch the salary but would be difficult if wanting to support a family and on one income. There is currently a police officer from the UK working on a local salary but the officer also has a UK police pension, another officer came over at 23 yeas of age from the UK for the experience and adventure and enjoyed himself. A Canadian police officer will shortly be coming over.

It anticipated that the recruitment uptake will be small because of the low salaries in comparison to the UK, but if an ex police officer on a police pension then it is likely to be much more attractive for those who don't want to work in a war zone! You ideally need police experience for the job.

Policing here is a pleasant experience as majority of the population are law abiding and virtually all are respectful to police and their fellow islanders/visitors, even the youngsters! Policing generally follows UK law and there is only one language here......English. As police officer you do witness some racism but this is rare and if it occurs it is robustly dealt with. At the moment police don't work past midnight during the week and week ends is 4am but this will change next year or with the start of the airport build and the need for 24/7 policing. There are about 200 reportable crimes a year and a lot of other reports dealt with the old fashioned way by a verbal warning. Living here is both refreshing and frustrating at times for a number of reasons especially as an ex UK officer you come to expect certain standards and working practices, but as long as you keep an open mind and don't treat St Helena as the UK, then life works well.

My personal circumstances is that I am here with my wife and family (2 young children) on a special FCO type contract for one year but extendable. I came from the PSNI in Northern Ireland and it is so great not to have to worry about terrorism and population divisions.

The advert is in the local paper but if you can't find it I have copied the advert below.

All the best if you apply

--------------------------------

Police Sergeants & Constables – St Helena Island, South Atlantic Ocean

A challenging role in an outstanding setting.

This is an ideal chance of a lifetime - well suited to a career break or retirement career opportunity.

St Helena
A self-governing overseas territory of the United Kingdom, St Helena is an island of 47 square miles and around 4,000 people in the South Atlantic. With CapeTown in South Africa some 1,700 miles distant, the islanders enjoy a unique lifestyle in truly unspoilt, friendly and peaceful surroundings.

This is a full time operational police role involving shift and weekend working.

Police Sergeant
£10,227 p.a.
Requirements -
A Police Sergeant or qualified Acting Sergeant with background and experience in St Helena or UK Policing.
Highly motivated and proactive in order to meet the needs of a changing community
Criminal Investigations experience desirable
Training experience is desirable
Medically and Dentally approved

Police Constables
£ 8,154 p.a.
Applicants, male or female should be 18 years of age and over, be highly motivated and enthusiastic with the ability to communicate effectively and to make decisions.
Applicants not in possession of GCSE Maths or English Grade C or above will be required to sit a Police entrance exam
However the successful applicant may be required to serve initially in the training Grade “C” £7270 per annum.
A Police Constable with a background and experience in St Helena or UK Policing
Applicants outside of St Helena, travel and accommodation will be paid by SHG.

Please contact Inspector Mark Good for more information or to apply on Tel: 00 290 2722
Email: [email protected]

Closing date for applications: 23rd February 2010.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
If a member contains a link/email within their first 3 posts it automatically gets sent to a moderation queue for a moderator to check its not spam (as you can imagine we get inudated with spam) and St Helena Police had made a wonderful long post in response to your questions, which contained an email address and so got placed in the moderation queue. Unfortunately I inadvertently hit the delete button instead of the "approve"

Luckily I had two windows open at the time so I've copied the original post. Aplogies to St Helena Police ... I'll endeavour not to do that again in hurry
Thank you very much for your professionalism to direct us SUE, i appreciated the fact thats it is a serious forum well maitin.
PW
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Hello

Signed
Hi,

Thanks for all the information. I have registered my interest and waiting to hear.

Can I ask;

1. Leave days, how many.
2. How are they selecting, interviews etc.
3. Can your partner come along with you.
4. When is the airport scheduled to be built.

Is the island very religious, as I am in same sex relationship and not sure that this may cause a problem??

5. Can you bring your pets with you, dog and cat, if so what are the rules.
6. The Police accomodation, whats it like, do you share or is a private.

Any more info greatly appreciated as closing date is soon.

Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

To answer a few more queries.

St Helena Police Service is very small but looks after the entire island, policing, security, immigration and also enforces forestry, fishing and so much more that I keep coming across. The operational side of policing is looked after by the Inspector of Police (this is me so don't say anything you don't want m to hear!), 3 patrol Sgts, 1 D/Sgt and 1 Sgt Community Beat. There are 9 PC's on shift, 2 in CID and 2 on the beat. There are various support staff (civilians). Briefly we also have a Chief of Police (looks after police, prison, fire and rescue, vehicle inspection and tax) and Deputy Chief who looks after Immigration (3 PC's) and Vehicle Inspection.

The applications will be looked at by the senior management team and we will then decide who is best to fit the role. If you are unsuccessful but still keen there is a strong chance that 1 Sgt and 3 PC's will be added to the numbers in October to make up a night shift for 24/7 policing. We need this as the build of the airport is likely to bring up to 600 migrant workers. I would think we only have a work force of about 1500 on the island at the moment, so a massive change is coming. Also, shortly we will be advertising for an experienced Sgt to carry out a specific training role provided essentially by the FCO for a one year contract (watch this space). The current vacancies are open to negotiation to say how long you can work here for, but are on local wages.

Anyway, operational policing is where the vacancies are and that's my area. We are a mini version of a UK rural police service (very mini) but have to wear many hats.

St Helena is not like the Caribbean so don't compare too much. Our crime rate is low with no gangs, virtually no smuggling, drugs are generally limited to Cannabis and beer, no firearm crime but we have a firearms team (training on-going). The local residents are a pleasure to work with, but yes, we as police do see the ugly side of life, no comparison to anything I have worked before. All the bars are regularly patrolled without a fuss and everyone knows everyone. Violent crime detection is running at 95% with 43 crimes since last April............good news if you work in a UK city centre pub. Our overall detection rate is about 70% which is absolutely fantastic.

The more I write the more it sounds great here but life has it ups and downs, so not perfect by any means but............it is an island of opportunity and individuals that have worked here will have there own experiences, good and bad. My wife described it here as like rural Ireland, without the rain/cold. As we worked and lived on the border of Northern Ireland for 7 years I tend to agree. N.I. and Ireland are truly beautiful and the local residents are very friendly, so it is here but you have to set your acceptable level at the appropriate level or you will be frustrated and not adjust to the way of life on the island or in the police service.

You get generally 25 days annual leave and about 9 public holidays(paid triple time!). Shifts are 8 hours and not the best but with the limited staff numbers and no night cover, best we can do for now (8-1600hr, 1600-midnight week days and Sun.......... Fri and Sat 08-20hr and 20hr to 0400hr) Lates you are on call. CID and Community Beat work 0800hr to 1600hr 40 hour week.

The airport is a funny thing and is likely to be built, but who knows. The government are closely working with FCO, DFID to sort a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) but if all goes to plan then it could start next year but I don't know, so don't quote me!

Partners is a difficult one as the pay in the police is not very high and it is difficult, but not impossible to get a work permit here for partners, if not a Saint. It may be decided that if you want to bring your partner (and or children), then they may have to pay for themselves in travel but this hasn't been discussed. As most things here, flexibility is what it is all about.

Accom will be looked at on an individual basis. We have a three bed police house divided into two, so can look after probably 2 PC's and partner, then we would look to rent a private house.

Religion here is a big mix, which in my opinion is a good thing. No one is too pushy and open to what you want to do. Predominantly St Helena is a Christian society. Remember this is a country with old ways but trying to move with the times, so same sex relationships I would think is acceptable but have no experience. I certainly would not stand for any homophobic incidents if they occurred and I am aware of a number of gay people on the island.

Pets can be brought here, as my neighbour did a few months back, but likely to cost £1000-£1500 as they want every injection going, which costs loads. Also the journey can be traumatic and I have heard horror stories so think twice before venturing down the pet route, saying that, my neighbour had a good experience and loves his dog being here.

Just checking to see if missed anything.............. I would say the possibilities are very good here as we have such a young police service who are eager to learn from overseas experience and there is of course promotion potential unlike the current climate of the UK. Again saying all that early days to talk about promotion as you are needed for specific vacancies but if you fit into your role, way of life here and want to stay longer then there is potential (no guarantees as out of my remit)

Must go as my wife is looking at me and its Valentines night!

Good luck

Signed
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply. Would it be possible to PM me to discuss some other questions please?

I did e mail the Chief of Police last week with a brief CV. I just need to clarify a few other points.

Thanks again
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Please feel free to email me as detailed on the advert I copied above. I am not sure how the PM system exactly works but easier to keep account of correspondance by email.

[email protected]
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

blucky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

new member here known as Blucky .....I have just made application for the Sgts post on St Helena ....been retired since 2007 ...but worked Operationally in the Police service of Northern Ireland following retirement and have just completed a 12 month contract in the Bermuda Police Service. Saw your post re St helena ....I know the money is not comparativer with the UK ......can you tell me what deductions are taken from salary .....tax rate etc ....it is always a good idea to know the financial ins and outs .....and what would a typical shifts policing duties involve ......and what accommodation would be provided ........like to be as well informed as possible so any bits of information about the role would be handy to inform me if I get an interview ....
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Wow scratch that last post didnt see all that info in the above posts ...went straighjt in and posted my message before looking ....thats not good is it
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:24 am
Just Joined

All

We have receieved a number of applications that will be processed this week, early next week as we have just started an AFO course this week which is taking a lot of the Services resources including mine. All those who have applied for the posts will receive an email later this week.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

All

We have receieved a number of applications that will be processed this week, early next week as we have just started an AFO course this week which is taking a lot of the Services resources including mine. All those who have applied for the posts will receive an email later this week.
Any idea of the time scale on this......I realise it is only just the beginning of the week ,,,,,,and you have the AFO commitment etc. .........just hoping for some news ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.