Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To sell or not to sell home contents

To sell or not to sell home contents

Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To sell or not to sell home contents

I sold the lot! 2 suitcases of clothes and a few sentimental nick nacks and my golf clubs was all I bought over.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:41 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

We had 20 boxes collected yesterday, along with pictures and a few longer items. We are shipping them with 1st Move International, who put them all together, bubble wrap, waterproof membrane the lot on a pallet. It seems both well protected and secure.
We were lucky, the buyers of our home said they would take everything inside it as well for £4k, so the will convert to $6.5k which we can put towards lots of new furniture.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:49 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I think it must depend on what situation you are heading into. If you are moving over 1 person to move in with a already resident partner the gubbins you need to move can be minimal.

We are moving a family of 4 & 2 cats (and planning for a long term stay) and will be having a sole use container. That makes it more economical to move the beds, sofa, all of our books, my quilting fabric, his tools (some of which are 110v anyway), the quality cookware etc. We figure that once we have paid for the container everything we take is stuff we don't have to buy to make our new residence our home.

I am still decluttering and getting rid of things that wont' be needed and don't need to be kept, and leaving some stuff for my daughter & family who will be renting our house from us.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
That all makes sense. It sounds like you know more about these things than most.

Appears so in typed word. Inside my head it's not so clear cut.
Until it's all packed and ready I'll have the "WTF!?" moments many times a day.

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I think it must depend on what situation you are heading into. If you are moving over 1 person to move in with a already resident partner the gubbins you need to move can be minimal.
You'd think so wouldn't you.
I'm moving alone into a house that's already set-up.
Still taking a container. I think it's partly because it makes sense and partly because I have convinced myself I need the things I've worked hard for over the years.
Although there are times when I'd be happy to walk away from it all without a problem.
But getting rid of all the stuff here seems harder than packing it and taking it.

We are moving a family of 4 & 2 cats (and planning for a long term stay) and will be having a sole use container. That makes it more economical to move the beds, sofa, all of our books, my quilting fabric, his tools (some of which are 110v anyway), the quality cookware etc. We figure that once we have paid for the container everything we take is stuff we don't have to buy to make our new residence our home.
That makes sense.
Once you are up to around half a 20' container in volume you may as well have a sole use container and not be stressed about volume.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Our plan for the US move later this year is to put important stuff we want to keep into relatives' attics. Sell the electronics etc and rent the house out furnished. Ship paintings by fedex and turn up with suitcases of clothes, playstation and disk storage.

We're in the process of decluttering the house.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice

We just sent the sentimental bits, and will be buying cheap furniture to start with, just to set us up. Then replace things with new nicer things as we get settled.

We used MoveCorp and they were truly terrible.....avoid at all costs! They will give you a cheap quote, then once they have your stuff in the yard the price ramps up and up!!.....in the end the cost doubled!