Recently moved to Florida / Job worries

Recently moved to Florida / Job worries

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandLuc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recently moved to Florida / Job worries

Afew weeks after sending the marriage licence
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandLuc
Afew weeks after sending the marriage licence
Can you write a timeline of what you applied for and when? Your short posts are confusing.

So, you arrived on a K-1 visa. At some point before the 90-day mark, you applied for a marriage license (above). Not sure where you sent the marriage license, as usually you don't have to send that anywhere...they collect it in person after you fill it out, and then at some point you actually get married.

Still....anything to do with the marriage license is STILL not related to your Social Security Card. You keep referring to the Adjustment of Status (AOS) process, which is unrelated to the SSN application.

Can you just state the date you went in person to your local SS office and applied for the SSN? It's helpful if you include exact dates (such as January 10, February 21, etc.), rather than in relation to some other thing you did.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 22nd 2014 at 3:19 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing at the timeline but it appears this poster was not aware they could and should have applied for their social security number 10 days after entering the US on their K-1. In fact he might not have known that the social security number is a different government agency from immigration.

It would appear he waited until their marriage in January, sent off the marriage certificate with the I-485 and other forms and is now having to wait for the EAD in order to apply for the SSN.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm guessing at the timeline but it appears this poster was not aware they could and should have applied for their social security number 10 days after entering the US on their K-1. In fact he might not have known that the social security number is a different government agency from immigration.

It would appear he waited until their marriage in January, sent off the marriage certificate with the I-485 and other forms and is now having to wait for the EAD in order to apply for the SSN.
Unfortunately, that is what it sounds like. That's why it would be good to know specific dates.

I think the OP is getting confused between the EAD and the SSN. He says he applied for the SSN, but everything he says points to an EAD application, not a SSN application. My guess, like you, is that he hasn't actually applied for the SSN yet.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete

Hi Rete, yes you are correct, this is the process I followed, I was under the impression that it was pointless to apply for the SS straight away as I was told I wouldn't be able to work anyway until the EAD came.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:48 pm

Hi Rete, yes you are correct, this is the process I followed, I was under the impression that it was pointless to apply for the SS straight away as I was told I wouldn't be able to work anyway until the EAD came.
Oh dear. Unfortunately you were unaware that you could have/should have applied for your SSN after about 10 days after your arrival on the K-1 visa.

So it seems you actually didn't apply for your SSN, yet, right? So when you said you applied for it, were you actually referring to the EAD, and not the SSN?

If you haven't yet applied for your SSN, you now have to wait until you have your EAD in hand, then go in person to your local SS office to apply for the SSN. You can go back in person the next day to get the number; the card will come in the mail within about 2 weeks after you apply.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Noorah, yes but my point is, even if I had applied and got the SS after 10 days, I still wouldn't be able to work without the EAD process being complete, right?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes

But now you have an issue getting a SSN.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:08 pm

Hi Noorah, yes but my point is, even if I had applied and got the SS after 10 days, I still wouldn't be able to work without the EAD process being complete, right?
It depends. A K-1 visa holder is work authorized automatically for the first 90 days in the USA. The problem with that is, you have no proof of work authorization to show an employer, but this could work well for someone who is self-employed, or if they find an employer who doesn't care about filing an I-9. Even then, a SSN is not required to begin working.

After the first 90 days in the USA, you need the EAD in hand to be work authorized, and this is the document most employers will need to see. Again, a SSN is not required to begin working.

Eventually you will need a SSN, yes.

The SSN is used for so many other things, unrelated to employment, that most people get one ASAP after arrival in the USA. A SSN is usually required when applying for a US Drivers License, for example. Many banks require a SSN to open an account (although really that's only for interest-bearing accounts).

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Like Noorah said, you need an SSN for many other things, not just for employment purposes. It's no use crying over it now, as you now have to wait for the EAD before you can apply for one. How long ago did you send in the paperwork for your AOS and EAD?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
A Master's in GIS? I really don't see you having any problem getting a job.
Just about all cities and counties are getting in to GIS mapping these days.
Well I have a friend who is a cartographer, originally from Germany, she does things like GIS and maps for geologists, etc. She used to work for a map company in Florida and it went bust, then she did do GIS for a county (Pinellas I think) but it was only a temporary job. She ended up moving to Texas and working for an oil company.