Reload this Page >

Recently moved to Florida / Job worries

Recently moved to Florida / Job worries

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

CoolHandLuc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recently moved to Florida / Job worries

Hi guys,

I am just posting here to introduce myself, and also to maybe get some advice/encouragement!

I moved over to Florida just before Xmas on a K1 Visa. I originally come from Wolverhampton, but was working in Bristol (where I met her). I left my job behind (worked at Bristol Water) and sold all my stuff to move here (I am still 'fairly' young (29)).

I have a degree in Physical Geography as well as a Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS). Does anyone have experience with British degrees and employment over here? Do they hold them in the same regard as the US equivalent?

Also, as I am still waiting for my social security number I am unable to work just yet. I haven't doubted for a second that I have made the wrong decision coming here, but sometimes it does get a little unsettling worrying about finding a new job, although my old job wasn't the best paying, it was very secure and the people there were very good to me.

I am alot more fortunate than most who make the jump over here, as my wife has a decent job and house here already, however I would just like to hear of any similar experiences of people on here or if you could possibly share any tips and advice that would be beneficial to me, both adjusting and/or job hunting!

Many thanks,

Luc

Last edited by CoolHandLuc; Apr 22nd 2014 at 3:02 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recently moved to Florida / Job worries

Originally Posted by CoolHandLuc
I moved over to Florida just before Xmas on a K1 Visa.

Also, as I am still waiting for my social security number I am unable to work just yet.
I know you wanted this to be about the job, but I have to ask...why is it taking so long to get your SSN? As a K-1 visa holder, you should have gone to the SS office about 10 days after you entered the USA and applied for the SSN. After that, if your information was in their system (which it should have been), it only takes a few weeks for the SS card to come in the mail. It's been 4 months now. What's causing the delay?

Also, if you have your EAD in hand, you do NOT need a SSN to get a job. You can still get employed, and the employer can use a dummy SSN while waiting for your real number to get assigned, and then transfer the information. So don't let a lack of SSN hold you back from getting a job.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

I am just posting here to introduce myself, and also to maybe get some advice/encouragement!

I moved over to Florida just before Xmas on a K1 Visa. I originally come from Wolverhampton, but was working in Bristol (where I met her). I left my job behind (worked at Bristol Water) and sold all my stuff to move here (I am still 'fairly' young (29)).

I have a degree in Physical Geography as well as a Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS). Does anyone have experience with British degrees and employment over here? Do they hold them in the same regard as the US equivalent?

Also, as I am still waiting for my social security number I am unable to work just yet. I haven't doubted for a second that I have made the wrong decision coming here, but sometimes it does get a little unsettling worrying about finding a new job, although my old job wasn't the best paying, it was very secure and the people there were very good to me.

I am alot more fortunate than most who make the jump over here, as my wife has a decent job and house here already, however I would just like to hear of any similar experiences of people on here or if you could possibly share any tips and advice that would be beneficial to me, both adjusting and/or job hunting!

Many thanks,

Luc
The land survey (land development industry) in Florida is in the dumps right now. To get a job in your industry you have to go where the growth is (it ain't Florida). Try these guys: http://surveyorconnect.com/

Last edited by jeepster; Apr 22nd 2014 at 4:26 am. Reason: add info
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know my County has a major GIS project underway.

Congratulations on promotion, sounds like you are after Callum.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:44 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

A Master's in GIS? I really don't see you having any problem getting a job.
Just about all cities and counties are getting in to GIS mapping these days.

Last edited by g1ant; Apr 22nd 2014 at 5:53 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

County and State governments offices have GIS departments, so I would think that would be a good place to start.

A government job usually comes with the kind of security you're looking for, plus you get just about every holiday going, so you can visit Disneywold!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 12:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

British degrees are fully acceptable in the US, though sometimes they might need to be evaluated, by an organization acceptable to your employer, and there are several organizations, so it's not something you can do ahead of time.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 22nd 2014 at 1:48 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 1:26 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you will be fine, after all, a lot of us have moved here with a lot less in the way of qualifications and have managed to carve out a decent standard of living here. As mentioned by Rete, you should already have your SS number? Also you should also have or nearly have your EAD??

Florida did seem to take a greater hit to the economy to some other areas in the country, and in some parts of Florida the economy is being a bit sluggish in recovering. There are opportunities out there, make sure you are networking (linked in, etc). Maybe look for a job, even a lesser job in a related field and begin building up contacts that way? It will get better, I remember when I first moved here, I felt so useless and down as I could not work (waiting on EAD) and felt I was not contributing to the household in any way.

Keep a positive attitude, try and think "outside the box" a little, you will be surprised what you may come up with and what opportunities you may find.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I myself have some GIS background so did a trawl around. Even in the middle of nowhere companies and cities were advertising GIS jobs for $45k+ so I think you'll be fine.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys thanks for the responses

Noorah, I came over on the K1 visa and had to get married within 90 days, I got married at the end of Jan 2014.

civilservent - Thats encouraging - and yes I wouldnt mind moving out of state if I had to inorder to find work!

Luc
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:22 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys thanks for the responses

Noorah, I came over on the K1 visa and had to get married within 90 days, I got married at the end of Jan 2014.

civilservent - Thats encouraging - and yes I wouldnt mind moving out of state if I had to inorder to find work!

Luc
You should still have your SSN by now, you can apply for it after about 10 days post-arrival.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm, I still haven't received it yet, I thought this was the normal process... I recently did the bio-metrics stuff, and they said it should be mailed within a few weeks
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

When did you apply for it?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I understand that (my fiance and I also did the K-1 visa back in 2004). However, that has nothing to do with why you don't yet have your SSN. When did you apply for it?

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:00 pm

Hmm, I still haven't received it yet, I thought this was the normal process... I recently did the bio-metrics stuff, and they said it should be mailed within a few weeks
The biometrics appointment is related to your Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Not your Social Security Card.

When did you apply for the Social Security Card?

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.