Reload this Page >

Drivers License just passed...

Drivers License just passed...

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 1:35 am
Just Joined

vicdupreez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drivers License just passed...

All,

Just a headsup for those of you who will be doing a test for a drivers license in California. Make sure that whatever insurance documentation you take with you either has that particular car listed, or that it plainly states, (on the stuff you take) that it will cover any car. I had to call and request that they fax confirmation this morning to the DMV in a panic that my policy covers rentals.

Also when doing the test, the front of the front bumper is not allowed over the limit line... This was my only fault (x4).

The picture that goes on the drivers license is taken when you go for the written test. They will not change it until after you get the license in the mail.

I hope this is useful to someone

Vic
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers License just passed...

Of course. Anyone who has a British licence and who can't pass a US road test should hang their head in shame!

Congratulations BTW!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently practising my head-hanging skills.

Congrats on the pass
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandLuc is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

vicdupreez is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all . One more thing though... DO NOT hand the person behind the desk your british license after you pass... Tell her it is in the car or something... I did and she punched a hole in it with a hole punch, even after I told her not to. Anyway new one ordered from DVLA... A £20 mistake...
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicdupreez
Thanks all . One more thing though... DO NOT hand the person behind the desk your british license after you pass... Tell her it is in the car or something... I did and she punched a hole in it with a hole punch, even after I told her not to. Anyway new one ordered from DVLA... A £20 mistake...
Technically your UK license is invalid once you are no longer a UK resident, so whether or not it has a hole in it shouldn't make any difference.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Should be taking my CA test in a couple of weeks. Have to say that I'm not looking forward to it as I haven't actually driven much in the last 3 years. But it's only 15 minutes? How many mistakes can I make in 15 minutes? ...Erm, probably quite a few.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
Technically your UK license is invalid once you are no longer a UK resident, so whether or not it has a hole in it shouldn't make any difference.
I knew we were going see that old chestnut dug up again.

That's not true, it's not true now, and it never was.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:38 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicdupreez
All,
Just a headsup for those of you who will be doing a test for a drivers license in California. Make sure that whatever insurance documentation you take with you either has that particular car listed, or that it plainly states, (on the stuff you take) that it will cover any car.
Vic
I ran fowl of the DMV insurance provisions when I moved to CA. I planned to take my test using a rental car. I went through the rental car agreement and insurance paperwork with a fine tooth comb and could find nothing to prohibit using the rental for the test. But DMV flat out refused to accept it.

Ultimately, I contacted a local driving school. They said I could use their vehicle if I purchased one 1-hour lesson. I scheduled the lesson immediately prior to my test appointment. Although I'd be driving for 20 years in the UK, the instructor gave me some great tips for passing the test! e.g. He pointed out all of the blind intersections on their test routes. I passed with flying colors and certainly wasn't unhappy about the few extra bucks I spent with the driving school.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:41 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I knew we were going see that old chestnut dug up again.

That's not true, it's not true now, and it never was.
I think it depends on the State.

The California DMV states "If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days."

On a related note, California does not recognize an International Drivers Permit either.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by malch
I think it depends on the State.

The California DMV states "If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days."

On a related note, California does not recognize an International Drivers Permit either.
I was referring to the validity of the British licence in abstract, not that it would be valid in the US generally, or any specific state.

In any case a international driving permit isn't worth the paper it's printed on, except to the extent that it's a translation of your (British) licence.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 22nd 2014 at 6:34 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring to the validity of the British licence in abstract, not that it would be valid in the US generally, or any specific state.
Either way a waste of 20 quid.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:21 pm
in Northern California

Well, it certainly would not be valid in California if you were a California resident.

I question whether it would be valid in the UK either. Holders of a UK drivers license are under a legal obligation to report changes of name and/or address. And DVLA will not issue licenses with non-UK addresses. Thus it's hard to see how it would be valid in the UK if you reside in the USA.

Perhaps it would still be valid if one visited Canada, France, Italy, or whatever. However, I suspect that a license without a true and current residence address would be technically invalid in many jurisdictions.

I think the prudent course of action is for folks to obtain a drivers license from the appropriate authority within whose jurisdiction they reside.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:34 pm
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very helpful info! I passed my UK driving test just three months ago knowing I was moving to the States... didn't want to go in blind in the US :-/
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Well, it certainly would not be valid in California if you were a California resident.

I question whether it would be valid in the UK either. Holders of a UK drivers license are under a legal obligation to report changes of name and/or address. And DVLA will not issue licenses with non-UK addresses. Thus it's hard to see how it would be valid in the UK if you reside in the USA.
The obligation to report a new address only applies if the new address is in Great Britain (England/Scotland/Wales). Those moving outside GB do not have to inform DVLA of a new address, as far as I am aware.

Many temporary residents in Australia (most states) are allowed to drive indefinitely on an overseas licence, as long as it remains valid.

I think the prudent course of action is for folks to obtain a drivers license from the appropriate authority within whose jurisdiction they reside.
Of course.

Since, as you note above, DVLA will not issue a new licence to a non-GB address, those who do not obtain local licences will have a problem if they lose their licence.

However, there are some people (including some in Australia) who cannot obtain a local licence, even if they want to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.