Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Originally Posted by H Bomb
I think I am more into American Football these days and supoport the Redskins - you are not a Cowboy are you?

Saying that - think I will be down here quite ofter during the football season!
http://www.footballfactoryny.com/
Haven't got a clue about American Football...without sounding completely ignorant, it seems a bit like rugby but with padding? (might be a little controversial..but having dated a rugby player for years)

I'm only really into football (EPL) and Rugby...

Spurs match last night = horrific!!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicious B
Spurs match last night = horrific!!
Switched to PM - I am sure people dont want to see chatter about how poor Spurs are - everyone knows that already!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Switched to PM - I am sure people dont want to see chatter about how poor Spurs are - everyone knows that already!
We have a separate forum for that!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we are in a similar place as you. My wife is moving on an L1 and I will be on an L2 - and we are just awaiting the full details of the relocation package/US benefits.

Trying to work out where we want to live is proving difficult - think we have narrowed it down to Murray Hill - but you keep seeing the same pictures on so many adverts you start to wonder do any of these places actually exist.

Also still confused about what we need to rent. Assuming my wifes company will act as guarantor - and we will be staying withing the 40x so that is a good start - but we cannot provide landlord refernces (havent had a landlord in the UK for almost 10 years as we own our own place) and US tax returns (as we wont have any). DO these things matter when it comes down to it - or will we end up struggling?
I'm going to be a naysayer about Murray Hill. It's quite bland. Our first NYC flat was there and I was glad to move. Our next flat was in Hell's Kitchen, which I preferred.

Make sure they give you a broker service as part of the package. They typically charge 10-15% of annual rent as the fee (such is the demand in NYC, you pay the estate agent). You can do it without a broker though but it's useful initially.

The big high rises, or the full service buildings, are a good bet and they're used to renting to foreigners. They knew that we wouldn't have a credit history etc. Be prepared to provide 2-3 months' rent as deposit if you don't have a credit history. We moved into a Glenwood property and didn't need the mega deposit or credit history. Worth a look. They have a few buildings. Good luck!

Last edited by IlAlfie; Apr 2nd 2014 at 12:36 am. Reason: Mistake
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

I have sent Glenwood an email to see if they meet our requirements for an apartment.

Are there any other big name companies that own multiple buildings? We are already in touch with Avalon as it looks like we will be in one of their apartments for the first month whilst we find a more permanent residency.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

I have sent Glenwood an email to see if they meet our requirements for an apartment.

Are there any other big name companies that own multiple buildings? We are already in touch with Avalon as it looks like we will be in one of their apartments for the first month whilst we find a more permanent residency.
I listed a few you can go directly to, and see current inventory at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=53

Last edited by jaffy23; Apr 2nd 2014 at 1:43 pm. Reason: forgot the quote
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Brodsky organization is also good. They have lots of buildings, especially in upper west side. Both Brodsky and Glenwood are no fee apts so you don't need a broker. If you use a broker then the broker may still be paid by them and possibly you. I'm sure there are lots of horror stories re NYC brokers on here: read them! Do not let a broker take you to a no-fee apt or building unless he/she is going to be paid by the building. No point paying $5K as a fee when it could have been free if you did it yourself. Some companies insist on brokers so just choose carefully. Best if you get one paid as part of your relocation package. We did and he was v good.

Some of the "no fee" companies aren't great. Shoddy housing, poor maintenance so check them out thoroughly. NYC renting is a world apart but the good news is that there's a quick turnover.

Last edited by IlAlfie; Apr 2nd 2014 at 1:41 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

The amazing website nybits.com helps you browse through all those big buildings. I've used it in every apartment search for years.

I agree that Murray Hill is a bit bland. Though it does have Ess-a-Bagel, the best bagels in Manhattan bar none!

My first NY flat was Waterside Plaza. Amazing views of the East River. Right on top of the UN School. But that long walk to the subway in the bitter winds of January can really get to you!
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

That is exactly what I am after - thanks @Chrisdc.

Is amazing - after weeks of looking over apartment buildings I havent come across that website once.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

That is exactly what I am after - thanks @Chrisdc.

Is amazing - after weeks of looking over apartment buildings I havent come across that website once.
I'd forgotten about that website! It's great although the listings are not quick to be removed/updated so double check before you get too excited about a flat! The big buildings have rental offices too so you can just walk in and ask. They almost always have a 'show' flat.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
I'd forgotten about that website! It's great although the listings are not quick to be removed/updated so double check before you get too excited about a flat! The big buildings have rental offices too so you can just walk in and ask. They almost always have a 'show' flat.
Yeah - I would always start at NYbits - find an apartment I liked and then try looking on the management company's own website (eg: rockrose.com)
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Ok...so i don't want to tempt fate, but i should be getting my final formal offer letter tonight woohoo! Will accept by the morning and then we can get the ball rolling properly...excited much!!!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Ok...so i don't want to tempt fate, but i should be getting my final formal offer letter tonight woohoo! Will accept by the morning and then we can get the ball rolling properly...excited much!!!
Good luck. We have our Visa interview 1st week of May!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Finally...my formal offer letter has arrived YAY!!!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally...my formal offer letter has arrived YAY!!!
Congrats. I've been following this thread and your journey so far. Just joined the forum myself because I am going through the same things and am awaiting my formal offer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.