Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you assimilated, or do you cling to your old culture?

Have you assimilated, or do you cling to your old culture?

Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you assimilated, or do you cling to your old culture?

I wonder if you guys feel you have fully assimilated into American ways, or do you still refer back to your country of birth?

I was listening online to an American talk radio station today, instead of my usual London one. And I found it a bit hard going to be honest. I couldn't relate too well.

Through work here in the UK currently, I see a lot of immigrants watch satellite TV shows in their own language from their country of origin still, as opposed to watching British TV in English.

I'm heading to the USA later this year, hence the curiosity
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you assimilated, or do you cling to your old culture?

My Iranian husband embraced a lot of the new American culture, he found it refreshing and "nicer" than what he's used to back home. But, having been born and raised in Iran, and never having lived or even visited a "western" country, he doesn't always do the "American" thing in certain scenarios (even though he prefers the American way, it just doesn't come naturally to him).

He enjoys English language movies, although it took him a long time to understand and is still struggling with English, even after 8 years here. Because of the nature of his work, he works with Persians all the time, and living in LA most of the time, there is a Farsi speaker available almost anywhere you go. So he hasn't had to push himself to learn English the way some immigrants do.

In LA, he tends to watch the Persian satellite channels on TV, but in Phoenix we watch more American TV together (I don't have satellite).

Over the past 8 years, I think he's come to a good mix of both cultures. Just depends on the circumstances of the day. When he goes back to Iran for a visit, he definitely feels more American and can see how much he's changed.

Rene
Old May 1st 2012, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't assimilated at all, have now given up trying and much happier for doing so.
Old May 1st 2012, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

How to be a good immigrant?

It's all about give and take. You bring something from your culture to the table throw it into the melting pot and in return you try something of the local fare. A good culture absorbs and integrates something from each new person that joins it while not completely over riding that person's past (unless they want it to).
Old May 1st 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

We mix it up in our house, mainly due to having two older teenagers who've been here since they were tiny. Still enjoy Sunday roasts and watching some Brit tv now and again but also enjoy drinks with plenty of ice in them and crap reality tv
Old May 1st 2012, 12:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
A good culture absorbs and integrates something from each new person that joins it while not completely over riding that person's past (unless they want it to).
Wow... that sounds pretty, um... Borg!

Ian
Old May 1st 2012, 12:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
I wonder if you guys feel you have fully assimilated into American ways, or do you still refer back to your country of birth?
I've pretty much fully assimilated to US culture. However, I never fail to mention to my good wife (or anyone else within earshot) that something or someone is Canadian!

Ian
Old May 1st 2012, 1:49 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a television but I've always enjoyed listening to the radio. Over the years I've gradually got bored with the mediocre nature of NPR and other public radio programming, in particular I can't stand the low budget mediocrity of NPR news. So I started listening to BBC Radio Four morning and evening, the Today Programme and PM. I do find PM entertaining, but I find that - not having lived in Britain for over twenty years - the ins and outs of UK politics and other national concerns just seem tedious and meaningless. I think if I lived there, however, I could get interested in it all again.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my little bit of culture over in a Petri dish.

I suspect a few little US-ism have crept in here & there, under the radar so to speak.

And truth be told, I do like the Spams, even the lardy ones with red necks that shoot beer & drink guns etc.

But don't let on to them...

Seriously, I think we're going to be here for a very long time, and are totally OK with that. The plus far outweighs the minus.

But I doubt I'll ever stop poking fun. Life's too short.
Old May 1st 2012, 3:05 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

No I bloody well have not and nor do I intend to. Bollocks to that ...
Old May 1st 2012, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

In the Uk I mostly watched USA shows anyway so I am pretty much in with it. Still find myself translating into pounds when I buy something but only been here 7mths so I am sure that will drop off.
I still get to watch the football and its better to watch it early morning :-)
Old May 1st 2012, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
We mix it up in our house, mainly due to having two older teenagers who've been here since they were tiny. Still enjoy Sunday roasts and watching some Brit tv now and again but also enjoy drinks with plenty of ice in them and crap reality tv
I will never ever get use to drinks with plenty of ice. Especially in a bar, leave the drink for 2 minutes, its pee water, ughhhhhhhhhhh.

Frank R.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:48 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

In general I do things the US way. However in order to keep my British side alive I drive on the left. Most people in town have got use to this now and just move out the way.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

I think people put too much emphasis on maintaining their perceived britishness or adopting each and every cultural aspect of america (more so the former than the latter in my experiences) to allow themselves to enjoy both.

I wont watch a tv show or listen to music based on whether it's english, but rather by if I enjoy it. My mom on the other hand tends to be of the opinion that it's automatically worth paying utmost attention to if it has any english connotations. My dad has gotten into the terrible habit of comparing everything here to the nostalgic memories of england.

Personally, I couldn't live without football, Sunday roasts, a few british tv shows, and catching up with some of my friends back there the same way I couldn't now live without baseball, some american tv shows, flavor-driven american cuisine, and hanging out with my american friends taking part in the local culture. And so on.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:59 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with the world today? Everyone wants to stand out/be different.
It's one World, we are one species, we all want the same thing. Food & Sex, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.