Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Demerit points on overseas licence?

Demerit points on overseas licence?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Demerit points on overseas licence?

I just verified this with the RTA. Bad news unfortunately. Overseas drivers can have demerit points accrued against their overseas licences. Overseas drivers may receive 14 points (compared to 12 for Aussie licences) before they are suspended.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:31 am
ABCDiamond

Most States do not deface a british licence, or require that you surrender it.

However, I do know that there is one that does, and I assume, without looking it up, that it is Victoria.

NSW used to punch a hole in a British Licence, but they don't do that these days.

With the State that does require your licence, it is not compulsory to hand it over, they do give you the option to take the driving tests if you prefer not to give them your licence.

Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I just verified this with the RTA. Bad news unfortunately. Overseas drivers can have demerit points accrued against their overseas licences. Overseas drivers may receive 14 points (compared to 12 for Aussie licences) before they are suspended.
That 'may" only be NSW ? I haven't looked, but as many State rules are different, it 'may' apply.

Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:02 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Most States do not deface a british licence, or require that you surrender it.

However, I do know that there is one that does, and I assume, without looking it up, that it is Victoria.

NSW used to punch a hole in a British Licence, but they don't do that these days.

With the State that does require your licence, it is not compulsory to hand it over, they do give you the option to take the driving tests if you prefer not to give them your licence.
I think defacing a UK licence is totally unreasonble given that it is still a valid legal document. If you are a UK citizen you have every right to have a UK licence still.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I think defacing a UK licence is totally unreasonble given that it is still a valid legal document. If you are a UK citizen you have every right to have a UK licence still.
Being a British citizen does not entitle you to a British driving licence! Entitlement is based on residence.

Anyway, no such thing as a "UK" licence - there are five separate British licensing jurisdictions in the British Isles alone, leaving aside the overseas territories.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Being a British citizen does not entitle you to a British driving licence! Entitlement is based on residence.

Anyway, no such thing as a "UK" licence - there are five separate British licensing jurisdictions in the British Isles alone, leaving aside the overseas territories.
Someone better tell the DVLA to stop printing "UK" on the front of the licences it issues then.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ

Also you don't seem to know the difference between the British Isles and the UK.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ

I thought entitlement to a UK licence was based on one's ability to pass the driving test not residence?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Also you don't seem to know the difference between the British Isles and the UK.
In fairness s/he didn't suggest that there weren't non-British jurisdictions within the Isles. Most of us Irish aren't that easily upset.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:21 am
ABCDiamond

Why can't that apply to Australians in the UK then ?

The UK rules are: "you must surrender your foreign licence which will be returned to the issuing authority" http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562

But here in Australia, most States just hand it back to you, although one State puts a small hole in it.

Maybe it would be better if they did it the British way ?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:04 am
Just Joined

AMCD is an unknown quantity at this point

Most states seem to have different rules on driving. Am I right in saying that you cannot get a NSW licence now until you are living here six months which is very different to the other states where you have three months to transfer to an oz one?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve2009
In fairness s/he didn't suggest that there weren't non-British jurisdictions within the Isles. Most of us Irish aren't that easily upset.
Well if people are going to be pedantic they should at least get the facts correct!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Someone better tell the DVLA to stop printing "UK" on the front of the licences it issues then.
It's the same reason as NSW puts "Australia" on its licences as well as "New South Wales".

A Northern Ireland licence is just as much a "UK" licence as one issued by DVLA. So there is no single "United Kingdom" licence.

And I was correct in stating there are five British licence issuing authorities in the British Isles - I was not including the Republic of Ireland.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by AMCD
Most states seem to have different rules on driving. Am I right in saying that you cannot get a NSW licence now until you are living here six months which is very different to the other states where you have three months to transfer to an oz one?
No

Permanent Residents, in all States, are breaking the law if they are driving without a State licence after 3 months of arriving here, or becoming resident here.

However, a Temporary overseas visitor who wishes to obtain a NSW licence, must wait 6 months before they can apply.
These "Q Licences" will be marked with the letter code ‘Q’ in the conditions area on the front of the licence, with the accompanying text ‘Evidence of permanent resident status not provided to the RTA’ appearing on the back of the licence.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:56 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No

Permanent Residents, in all States, are breaking the law if they are driving without a State licence after 3 months of arriving here, or becoming resident here.
And you'll almost definitely find that your car insurance is therefore invalid .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.