Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Differences between temporary I-551 and Green card?

Differences between temporary I-551 and Green card?

Old May 7th 2009, 6:01 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between temporary I-551 and Green card?

It sounds like the OP is an LPR in removal proceedings.

They paroled him/her into the US to see the judge and issued a temp I-551 for work purposes. using the top half of an I-94 and endorsed it "Do not admit as an LPR".

They have not been admitted to the US, but need to be able to work while in proceedings.

Last edited by crg; May 7th 2009 at 6:03 pm.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

For the sake of completeness there are 2 big differences between I-551 and Green Card:

1. I-551 will expira and it may NOT be possible to renew it. If you do not get the Green Card in the meantime (may be lost in the mail) you can be in a trouble. Your LPR status is not questionable. But, you can not travel abroad and you can not perform any administrative task in the time between expiration of I-551 and the arrival of the Green Card.

2. I-551 may be issued without A#. It is a kind of a mess. You have the proof that you are LPR but you can not do almost anyting without A#. Yes, you can travel abroad, but you can not get SSN number, you can not get the driving license.... On the other hand, Green Card must have A#.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazic
For the sake of completeness there are 2 big differences between I-551 and Green Card:
In case you are unsure... or just don't know... or didn't read the entire thread - the I-551 *IS* the green card. It's the actual name for the plastic card... whether it's the physical card, or a stamp/endorsement in your passport. It is exactly the same thing.

So... almost everything you wrote is complete crap!

Ian
Old May 7th 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

khai is an unknown quantity at this point

Why put an expiration date on the card if the 'status' never expires?
Old May 7th 2009, 8:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khai
Because the document expires, even if your status does not.

Rene
Old May 7th 2009, 8:53 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

They don't want the person to travel on the poor security features of the stamp definitely. They want them to get an actual card.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

khai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Because the document expires, even if your status does not.

Rene
I guess I meant to ask - why should the document (card) expire if your status does not?
Old May 7th 2009, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... why should the document (card) expire if your status does not?
So the government can charge you a fee every 10 years to renew the card. It's the cost of doing business as a PR. I might ask... why do you get a new passport if your status as a citizen doesn't expire?

Ian
Old May 7th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I meant to ask - why should the document (card) expire if your status does not?
Security features improve on the card as time passes.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Sorry, I was talking I-551 but meaning 'temporary I-551' in form of the stamp. The regular I-551 is a plastic card called Green card.

My proper posting is as follows:
For the sake of completeness there are 2 big differences between temporary I-551 (stamp in the passport) and Green Card (plastic card):

1. Temporary I-551 will expire and it may NOT be possible to renew it. If you do not get the plastic Green Card in the meantime (may be lost in the mail) you can be in a trouble. Your LPR status is not questionable. But, you can not travel abroad and you can not perform any administrative task in the time between expiration of temporary I-551 and the arrival of the plastic Green Card.

2. Temporary I-551 may be issued without A#. It is a kind of a mess. You have the proof that you are LPR but you can not do almost anyting without A#. Yes, you can travel abroad, but you can not get SSN number, you can not get the driving license.... On the other hand, plastic Green Cards must have A#.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

I was talking I-551 but meaning 'temporary I-551' in form of the stamp. The regular I-551 is a plastic card called Green card.
Sorry... but once again you're mistaken. The I-551 stamp has the full force and weight of the actual physical green card. Both the I-551 stamp and the I-551 card have an expiry date... and in that respect, both are "temporary". You are trying to make some distinction between the two... and it doesn't exist.

1. Temporary I-551 will expire and it may NOT be possible to renew it.
That's crap... of course it's possible.

But, you can not travel abroad and you can not perform any administrative task in the time between expiration of temporary I-551 and the arrival of the plastic Green Card.
More crap... of course you can. Just because you aren't aware of the process, doesn't mean that you can't do it. And what the hell is an "administrative task"?

You have the proof that you are LPR but you can not do almost anyting without A#.
That's complete crap.

Yes, you can travel abroad, but you can not get SSN number, you can not get the driving license...
Are you suggesting you can't get these things without an A#? More crap.

Ian
Old May 8th 2009, 1:21 pm
crg
American Expat

Sorry, I was talking I-551 but meaning 'temporary I-551' in form of the stamp. The regular I-551 is a plastic card called Green card.

My proper posting is as follows:
For the sake of completeness there are 2 big differences between temporary I-551 (stamp in the passport) and Green Card (plastic card):

1. Temporary I-551 will expire and it may NOT be possible to renew it. If you do not get the plastic Green Card in the meantime (may be lost in the mail) you can be in a trouble. Your LPR status is not questionable. But, you can not travel abroad and you can not perform any administrative task in the time between expiration of temporary I-551 and the arrival of the plastic Green Card.

2. Temporary I-551 may be issued without A#. It is a kind of a mess. You have the proof that you are LPR but you can not do almost anyting without A#. Yes, you can travel abroad, but you can not get SSN number, you can not get the driving license.... On the other hand, plastic Green Cards must have A#.

As always, you are a fountain of disinformation. You're like the BritishExpats version of Baghdad Bob. Please stop.

Last edited by crg; May 8th 2009 at 1:32 pm.
Old May 8th 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Well, dear friends I find your acting very agressive. It took me much time to get this info and I am very happy to be able to give the practical distinction about temporary I-551 and plastic Green Card. This is based upon my personal experience and it is not a source of desinformation.

In order to clarify these two distinctions, I will enter the very details:

Point 1:
Quote:
I was talking I-551 but meaning 'temporary I-551' in form of the stamp. The regular I-551 is a plastic card called Green card.

Sorry... but once again you're mistaken. The I-551 stamp has the full force and weight of the actual physical green card. Both the I-551 stamp and the I-551 card have an expiry date... and in that respect, both are "temporary". You are trying to make some distinction between the two... and it doesn't exist.

Temporary I-551 will expire and it may NOT be possible to renew it.

That's crap... of course it's possible.

Why do you think it is a crap? The temporary I-551 expired for my daughter and I was NOT able to get another temporary I-551 stamped in my passport. I had to wait until she got the plastic card. For you, it may be a crap but it has had a great impact to my life because I was not able to travel abroad because the security personal at the airports abroad do have another opinion about allowing you to board the plane to USA. The only possibility would be to get the special permit of the US embassy, called boarding letter or similar. And it may be done only after the special appointment, additional paperwork, travel to the embassy etc...

Quote:
But, you can not travel abroad and you can not perform any administrative task in the time between expiration of temporary I-551 and the arrival of the plastic Green Card.

More crap... of course you can. Just because you aren't aware of the process, doesn't mean that you can't do it. And what the hell is an "administrative task"?

Quote:
You have the proof that you are LPR but you can not do almost anyting without A#.

That's complete crap.

Quote:
Yes, you can travel abroad, but you can not get SSN number, you can not get the driving license...

Are you suggesting you can't get these things without an A#? More crap.

Ian

Why do you think it is a crap? I-551 will be issued even without assigning A#, for example for children born abroad. It is a rather weird situation. Youy are the LPR but without A#.

Without A# you CAN NOT get your SSN number. You can not get the ID card. You simply MUST wait your plastic card to arrive.

If you think this is a crap, you may check with ther Social Security. You just say you have I-551 as a stamp in a passport without A# and you want to get the SSN.

Without SSN you can not make your tax declaration properly.... Yes, you can sort it somehow but, it is not a clear solution as with the plastic green card.

Dear Ian, I think this info is completely new to you and that you have never ever heard about these differences explained in such details.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:08 pm
crg
American Expat

You are proof that a little knowledge is dangerous. I can't believe that you feel that you have enough knowledge to present your nonsensical crap as fact.

There is no temp I-551 without an alien number. Even for a child born after the issuance of an immigrant visa, or a child born to an LPR while aboard they would at least create a record at the POE, and assign an alien number prior to issuing the temp I-551.

The alien files have alien numbers on them. That's where they put all the paperwork. Do you think they just pass out temp I-551 stamps on the street with no paperwork?
Old May 8th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Here is the additional example of wrong knowledge which is combined with the high level of aggressivity:

"There is no temp I-551 without an alien number. Even for a child born after the issuance of an immigrant visa, or a child born to an LPR while aboard they would at least create a record at the POE, and assign an alien number prior to issuing the temp I-551.

The alien files have alien numbers on them. That's where they put all the paperwork. Do you think they just pass out temp I-551 stamps on the street with no paperwork?"

How can you claim that there is no temp I-551 without an alien number?
How can you claim that alien files have alien number on them?

Let assume that you are the LPR and that your child get born during the temporary stay abroad. You come back to the USA, your child is by definition also the LPR. What do you think, that A# will be assigned at a POE?

They see the child at the airport for the first time. Do you believe they have A# in a drawers, ready to assign it to the child right away upon arrival? The child may be only 10 days old... and nobody knows about him/her!

As the child is a LPR he/she will get temporary I-551 right away upon arrival at the airport. But, there will be no A#. So, you will have the temporary I-551 without A#.

There is some special procedure to get A# and it takes time. A# are not being assigned at the airports.

Usually, you will get the plastic Green card with the A# and everything will be OK. But, in the meantime, you will feel the DIFFERENCE between temporary I-551 and the plastic Green card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.