Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support requires notarization?

Affidavit of Support requires notarization?

Old May 8th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Affidavit of Support requires notarization?

Hello.
I've been told that the affidavit of support form needs notarization before we submit it. Is this correct, becasue the instructions don't mention it? Also, if yes, does the notray stamp and signature need to be on each page or is only on the last page adequate?
Thanks
Old May 8th 2009, 2:25 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Support requires notarization?

Which one are you speaking of? The I134 doesn't need to be notarized and I THINK the one for AOS doesn't need to be either.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

We did not have the actual form you fill in notarized, we just had the sheets where it said how much my husband earns and how much he has in assets notarized.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
Which one are you speaking of? The I134 doesn't need to be notarized and I THINK the one for AOS doesn't need to be either.
I mean I-864. That is the one that is the affidavit of support.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jmood
I don't think they have to be notarised.

We had to notarise our letters of support in our initial application for the I130.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support for an Immigrant Visa and also AOS, such as you are doing. There is another Affidavit of Support, Form I-134, which is used for the K-1 fiance visa. That is why people were clarifying.

If there is no area for notary information at the bottom of the signature page on the I-864, then it is not required to have it notarized. The backup documents (tax transcripts, letter of employment, pay stubs) do not need to be notarized either.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 8th 2009 at 3:12 pm.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK. Thank you!
Old May 8th 2009, 3:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, it does. I believe the area where you sign the I-864 and I-134 say something like "I affirm or I attest"
Old May 8th 2009, 3:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No, it does. I believe the area where you sign the I-864 and I-134 say something like "I affirm or I attest"
The I-864 requires the sponsor's signature, but does not require a separate notary signature. I just checked.

Rene
Old May 8th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wilto
I don't think they have to be notarised.

We had to notarise our letters of support in our initial application for the I130.
Does this mean that if I am sending two Affadavits to prove my marital relationship with my G325a they need to be notarised?
Old May 8th 2009, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jen3
Does this mean that if I am sending two Affadavits to prove my marital relationship with my G325a they need to be notarised?
We are talking about form I-864, Affidavit of Support. We are not talking about the personal affidavits from family/friends which support the proof of marriage/relationship.

If you have a question about this, please start a new thread.

Keep this thread on topic of I-864, thanks.

Rene
Old May 8th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really niceJen3 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
We are talking about form I-864, Affidavit of Support. We are not talking about the personal affidavits from family/friends which support the proof of marriage/relationship.

If you have a question about this, please start a new thread.

Keep this thread on topic of I-864, thanks.

Rene
sorry
Old May 8th 2009, 3:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

jm,

Does each page have your signature on it? (Do you understand what notarizing is?)

In any case, no the affidavit of support does not need to be notarized. It did once, but no longer.

Regards, JEff

Hello.
I've been told that the affidavit of support form needs notarization before we submit it. Is this correct, becasue the instructions don't mention it? Also, if yes, does the notray stamp and signature need to be on each page or is only on the last page adequate?
Thanks
Old May 8th 2009, 6:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The I-864 requires the sponsor's signature, but does not require a separate notary signature. I just checked.

Rene

I didn't say it did