Reload this Page >

Transfering to the Australian Army

Transfering to the Australian Army

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Cheers mate,

I applied initially in Feb 2004 so almost upto the 2 year point. Did you go out on your own or with family? If with family, how do they find the MQ's? and schooling in Oz? I have 3 young kids (7,5,3) luckily they are not in the serious exam stage yet.

How do you find work conditions differ from the brit Army? are they better or not?

I'm looking forward to going to the Board in October, it almost seemd to be getting near to the end of the tunnel at last.

Cheers in advance

Gary

Originally Posted by thebluearmy
Hi there

I transfered from the British 2 the Oz mob and started work 3 months ago in Sydney. The process can seem like its taking a long time because of all the paperwork going back and forward but think as a general rule, u should b looking at about a 2 year process.

One bit of promising news for you though is that of this year the Aussie army is recruiting over 300 overseas applicants as opposed to the 80 that as been the case in previoulsy.

If you`ve got any question u`d like me to answer then feel free to PM me.

Craig
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi glm,
The process was very informal, questions were basically making sure you knew what you were doing, i.e. had done some research into Aussie, the army etc. no real catch out ones.

We had a chat with a Lt Col, asking army stuff - where did I want to work, what would be the biggest challenge in the move etc.
Next was a chat with a Lt Col Doctor, making sure I had both arms and legs, no major injuries etc. Chatted with the wife about Germany (he lived in Paderorn for a while)
Then we were in with some blokes from the Defence Force Social workers - talked about schooling, army life for wives etc.
After lunch, I had a chat with the Col, who told me he was happy to continue the recruitment process.

Job was a good 'un

No catch outs anywhere, all nice people.

Med docs is good one, see if you get the medical done as well prior to Oct, the doc will be happy with that!

Originally Posted by glm36
Many thanks for the reply,

Could you give me a few pointers as to what goes on at the Board? questions asked etc, been a fair few years since i went for a job interview!

I'm taking my police checks and copy of me f med 4 when i go as well, hopefully shows how keen we are.

Cheers

Gary
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

thebluearmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gary,

Still very much settling in at the mo cause still only been working for 3 months. Came over with the wife who is a nurse and who had work already sorted b4 we came out so i suppose that helped a bit with settling in. The MQ`s are a lot better than the UK. We`ve got a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with a absolutly huge garden and we pay about 120 pound a fortnight for it. If you PM me, will gladly send u some pictures so you`ll have some idea what to expect.
The army itself over here is going very much to american way of doing things. Day starts at 0730 with PT everyday and knock off is at 4. Think it very much depends on what work ure gonna be doing out here to how quickly u will settle in. Ive still not been able to do me proper job because i need to be a citizen so i can get the proper vetting i require to do it. Had my interviews for citizenship already so just waiting for a cermemony date. Think things very much depencd on what u`ve come over here to do. If u want and try to pursue a career out here things are very much different but if you want to just do ure 3 years and then get out then it is a good easy way of doing that and the relocation package that is provided is excellent and probably saves you about 20000 dollars if u were gonna pay for the move ureself.
If u want any specific details, PM or email me and i`ll gladly speak to u on the phone to answer any questions

Craig

Originally Posted by glm36
Cheers mate,

I applied initially in Feb 2004 so almost upto the 2 year point. Did you go out on your own or with family? If with family, how do they find the MQ's? and schooling in Oz? I have 3 young kids (7,5,3) luckily they are not in the serious exam stage yet.

How do you find work conditions differ from the brit Army? are they better or not?

I'm looking forward to going to the Board in October, it almost seemd to be getting near to the end of the tunnel at last.

Cheers in advance

Gary
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Army Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recieved Letter of Offer

I got my formal 'Letter of Offer' last week and faxed back my signed agreement, so it looks like thinks are progressing. We are due to move out next Jul, so I have got to get my arse in gear and put my papers in. DOCM-A have told me they will now apply for the Employer Nominated (Labour Agreement) visa and then we need to submiyt our application. I know that I need to get police checks done; civilian checks and do I need one for each country I have served in (over 12 months) or will the RMP one cover these periods.

What was the time gap between handing in your Brit ID card and being enlisted into the ADF at the embassy.

When did the movers come in, and how did you find the the complete moving process.

Any info, pictures anicdotes happily accepted.

Many thanks,

Pete
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:12 am
Just Joined

thebluearmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recieved Letter of Offer

Alrite Gary,

Trying to think back now. Think they asked me to fax the offer of employmemt back so i thought, woppee this is it but things can still take a bit of time. Under the labour agreement they only have so many places allotted each year to fill up. This as been 80 in the past but is changing this year to 300. If theyve already filled this years quota, you then have to join the q for the next year. Think it starts in April so any dates u`ve got in ure head about coming over depends very much on that and then once thats then been approved how long it takes for the visa application (mine was 3 months). Be careful with the police check cause its only valid for a year so if u get one done now by the time ure visa application is in it may be invalid. Oh and the bollocks u get fm the RMPS is a pain in the arse because theres only one geezer who issues them and hes always on a sickie so would apply for that once you get the nod bout the labour agreement. Sorry if it sounds like i`m pissing on ure fire but think that when i got my letter of employment offer, it still took over a year to get out there.

U do ure removals bout 2 months b4 u move. We had a drama cause our shipment was delayed by 4 weeks so had a big house with crisp box and milk crates to sit on 4 6 weeks. Think the neighbours thought the dingles had moved in2 town.

Will glad answer any more ques and send pics if u PM me.

Craig

Originally Posted by Army Man
I got my formal 'Letter of Offer' last week and faxed back my signed agreement, so it looks like thinks are progressing. We are due to move out next Jul, so I have got to get my arse in gear and put my papers in. DOCM-A have told me they will now apply for the Employer Nominated (Labour Agreement) visa and then we need to submiyt our application. I know that I need to get police checks done; civilian checks and do I need one for each country I have served in (over 12 months) or will the RMP one cover these periods.

What was the time gap between handing in your Brit ID card and being enlisted into the ADF at the embassy.

When did the movers come in, and how did you find the the complete moving process.

Any info, pictures anicdotes happily accepted.

Many thanks,

Pete
Old Aug 24th 2005, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recieved Letter of Offer

Cheers, I've sent you a pm.

Originally Posted by thebluearmy
Alrite Gary,

Trying to think back now. Think they asked me to fax the offer of employmemt back so i thought, woppee this is it but things can still take a bit of time. Under the labour agreement they only have so many places allotted each year to fill up. This as been 80 in the past but is changing this year to 300. If theyve already filled this years quota, you then have to join the q for the next year. Think it starts in April so any dates u`ve got in ure head about coming over depends very much on that and then once thats then been approved how long it takes for the visa application (mine was 3 months). Be careful with the police check cause its only valid for a year so if u get one done now by the time ure visa application is in it may be invalid. Oh and the bollocks u get fm the RMPS is a pain in the arse because theres only one geezer who issues them and hes always on a sickie so would apply for that once you get the nod bout the labour agreement. Sorry if it sounds like i`m pissing on ure fire but think that when i got my letter of employment offer, it still took over a year to get out there.

U do ure removals bout 2 months b4 u move. We had a drama cause our shipment was delayed by 4 weeks so had a big house with crisp box and milk crates to sit on 4 6 weeks. Think the neighbours thought the dingles had moved in2 town.

Will glad answer any more ques and send pics if u PM me.

Craig