Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Demerit points on overseas licence?

Demerit points on overseas licence?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Demerit points on overseas licence?

Is it possible to receive demerit points on an overseas licence? I'm asking this question from the point of view of a temporary resident i.e. no requirement to get an Aussie licence within three months. I understand offences on your overseas licence go on your record but can you get/lose points?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Demerit points on overseas licence?

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Is it possible to receive demerit points on an overseas licence? I'm asking this question from the point of view of a temporary resident i.e. no requirement to get an Aussie licence within three months. I understand offences on your overseas licence go on your record but can you get/lose points?
If you have a UK license in Oz, the two are not linked at all, so you'll be fine. If you drive on your UK license in Oz, and get a speeding fine, you'll points will be lost (they will not go on your UK license) and you'll just have the fine to pay.

As for getting an Oz license, I had one for 2.5 years back in 2002 and never had a problem with it at all - plus no point on the license...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. Just to be clear I'm not concerned about getting Irish/UK points on an Irish/UK licence, rather that Aussie points will be recorded against the UK/Irish licence and the licence will be suspended.

I got hit twice in the one holiday weekend by the same camera so am looking at a possible suspension. Silly, I know.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:51 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

They definitely cannot put points on your licence, so no worries. I'm still on my UK licence and am not going to rush to get an Australian one for the same reason (mind you an Aussie licence would come in really handy to drive around the UK when I go back for holidays )

One question on getting an Aus licence - do you have to surrender your UK licence? Cos they can think again if they reckon I'm giving it up....
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

As a temporary resident you are not required to surrender your Irish/UK licence. As a permanent resident they will punch a great big hole in it rendering it useless. I believe they link the two licences though when they issue an Aussie one? i.e. If you have a Aussie licence as a temporary resident you can't dodge points by declaring your UK licence number when you get a fine.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
They definitely cannot put points on your licence, so no worries. I'm still on my UK licence and am not going to rush to get an Australian one for the same reason (mind you an Aussie licence would come in really handy to drive around the UK when I go back for holidays )

One question on getting an Aus licence - do you have to surrender your UK licence? Cos they can think again if they reckon I'm giving it up....
Yes you do have to surrender your UK one, they punch a hole in it to invalidate it and then give it to you back. I don't know whether they inform the UK though I suspect not, so you could always ask for a new one when you go back. Useful tip when you have visitors is that any points don't count, although if they are driving your car make them aware that you will still get letters assuming you are driving and trying to put the points on your license by the hidden cameras. It will be up to you to prove that it wasn't you at the wheel.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Yes you do have to surrender your UK one, they punch a hole in it to invalidate it and then give it to you back. I don't know whether they inform the UK though I suspect not, so you could always ask for a new one when you go back. Useful tip when you have visitors is that any points don't count, although if they are driving your car make them aware that you will still get letters assuming you are driving and trying to put the points on your license by the hidden cameras. It will be up to you to prove that it wasn't you at the wheel.

Each state must have their own rules as there was no requirement to surrender my UK licence in WA - it was handed back intact.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smartinis
They don't punch a hole in it in NSW. Why would they? it is still a legal driving licence in the UK.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:16 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, they can **** off if they think they're punching any holes in my licence. I'll give them a certified copy and somehow "lose" my original...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

They are definitely linked. I had to surrender my previous Victorian license to get a UK license. I then rang the Victorian license people to try and get a new one issued and they informed me I couldn't until I had surrendered my UK one - DVLA had sent my Victorian license back to Australia.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
They are definitely linked. I had to surrender my previous Victorian license to get a UK license. I then rang the Victorian license people to try and get a new one issued and they informed me I couldn't until I had surrendered my UK one - DVLA had sent my Victorian license back to Australia.
Didn't have to do any of that when I got my NSW licence.

I still have my UK licence.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Me too, they gave it back to me intact, I always drive on the ozzie one in UK though, incase I do get a fine!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:46 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Many years ago... (2000?ish) I got my Australian licence and my UK licence was barely glanced at - certainly wasnt defaced or invalidated...

HOWEVER, - I did discover some months later that the driving offences I'd accrued on my UK licence had been recorded against my name, and when I picked up my first 3 points on my Qld licence I had to take a 3 month ban because of the 9 points I'd accrued on my UK licence (that I'd assumed were irrelevant).

Moral of the story? Dont take anyones word for it (specialy from dodgy internet forums) - Ask the licencing authority in your state to verify how many points you have once you get your licence!!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:49 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Me too, they gave it back to me intact, I always drive on the ozzie one in UK though, incase I do get a fine!
Indeed my dad's been sent a couple of photos of me drivig his car back in the UK. He fills in the statutory declaration saying it was driven by me and we never hear anythign else....

By contrast, when my sister picked up a photo in Qld driving my car, I filled in a stat. dec and expected that to be the end of it - but she received the fine notice in the UK!! (and PAID it)... She had heard of a friend who's entry to Australia was held up until she paid an outstanding fine from a previous visit - so decided to pay up anyway. (I suspect this is an urban myth story - but hey you never know do ya?)
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
She had heard of a friend who's entry to Australia was held up until she paid an outstanding fine from a previous visit - so decided to pay up anyway. (I suspect this is an urban myth story - but hey you never know do ya?)
It's certainly not an urban myth, the police fine gets registered with the magistrates court in Victoria, it's certainly not forgotten about and I can see no reason why you wouldn't be stopped and asked to pay it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.