Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fire alarm mandatory in rental?

Fire alarm mandatory in rental?

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fire alarm mandatory in rental?

Originally Posted by RICH
Ah - the red/green diode that indicates the unit is still alive? Not what I thought OP meant by strobe. Strobe is a bright white light that goes off when there is a fire, in case the occupant is deaf, right?

Anyway, if the thing is going off all the time, when there is no fire, I would call 911 each time and after a few false alarms the Fire dept will make the landlord sort it out. (speaking from experience as a hotel manager with dodgy detectors in the past).

eta lots of new posts. I see it is a whole building system. The individual detector probably unplugs from the ceiling like a light bulb, but that would cause a fault alarm in itself.
Yes, I think I may have misunderstood what she's talking about.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
And shred my nerves during the process. And spend days of my time...
I know who the owners are.
Not worth the aggro
See Rich's post.

It's unlikely that anyone here will be able to help you disable an alarm system they cannot see, and very likely they will not want to take the risk of causing a malfunction down the line that could cause someone else not to get an alarm when it's actually needed.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

The individual detector probably unplugs from the ceiling like a light bulb, but that would cause a fault alarm in itself.
It's on the wall, not the ceiling, but high up. It doesn't screw into place like the other detectors and alarms that are on my ceilings. Those one are round. This is a box shaped with a protruding strobe light (real strobe light) . I can't seem to "unplug" it. It only has 2 tiny slits on each side flush to where the box sits on the wall.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, I think I may have misunderstood what she's talking about.
No, you didn't.
p.s. I see you have another quite fetching avatar photo. Is this someone I should know?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah - the red/green diode that indicates the unit is still alive? Not what I thought OP meant by strobe. Strobe is a bright white light that goes off when there is a fire, in case the occupant is deaf, right?
Not an indicator light. The nastiest, brightest strobe light ever.

Strobe lights trigger migraines and epileptic episodes. Migraines are similar to epilepsy in what happens in the brain.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Not an indicator light. The nastiest, brightest strobe light ever.

Strobe lights trigger migraines and epileptic episodes. Migraines are similar to epilepsy in what happens in the brain.
I thought you just meant you wanted to paint over the indicator light.

(My avatar is 'Orphan Black').
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmm, I'll watch the premier of Orphan Black available on their web site. Obviously you like the series.

So maybe I should just paint over the light and be done with it. At least that won't interfere with the the whole thing's operation. The Super will go apeshit when he sees it, but I could at least say it still works and there are no blind people in our apartment.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tamper with the fire alarm.

If you want to get the landlord's attention then sue them in small claims court for breaching their duty to provide habitable premises by failing to fix whatever problem is causing the false alarms.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
Don't tamper with the fire alarm.

If you want to get the landlord's attention then sue them in small claims court for breaching their duty to provide habitable premises by failing to fix whatever problem is causing the false alarms.
Oh pppllease. You can't be serious. Sue them!! Jeeezz.
I'm trying to help myself. Attention is the last thing I want. Trying to make my life more pleasant, easier, healthier, more harmonious.....

Oh, and please don't anybody start like it won't be a healthy life if it's a dead life due to fire `etc . There are enough fire alarms on my floor to wake the dead.

Last edited by jmood; Apr 23rd 2014 at 12:31 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:33 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Got it. The round one on the ceiling is the smoke/heat detector. On the wall is the siren/strobe. The detector is removable probably (they are replaceable). The siren/ strobe is probably hardwired, and tamper proof on purpose.

The problem is it sounds like there are no zones in the building, so any one detector sensing dust, burnt toast etc sets the whole system off. As you said, the neighboring alarms disturb you anyway, I think you are stuck.

That said, maybe tampering laws only apply to the detectors, not the strobe/siren. I don't know.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:03 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

bear in mind that ANY insurance claims could be invalidated by deliberate tampering.

so if they deny your claim thats your lookout - but they may try and deny the claim made for the building (ie the landlord) and if they are successful - he may sue YOU. (or if the fire were big enough to damage the adjoining property - deny their claim or try and get the claim value from you) .

I would live with it.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
bear in mind that ANY insurance claims could be invalidated by deliberate tampering.

so if they deny your claim thats your lookout - but they may try and deny the claim made for the building (ie the landlord) and if they are successful - he may sue YOU. (or if the fire were big enough to damage the adjoining property - deny their claim or try and get the claim value from you) .

I would live with it
Or move...
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Jmood...I'm not sure whether or not disarming a fire alarm in a building is illegal. It is however extremely irresponsible.

Thread closed.