Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting a mortgage in the UK after being non-resident

Getting a mortgage in the UK after being non-resident

Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:58 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice
Default Re: Getting a mortgage in the UK after being non-resident

Originally Posted by UK IFA
Highly unlikely, lenders don't tend to look at assets held overseas as they can't secure a charge over them should you default on the mortgage.
I knew a family who secured a 100% loan to buy a house in Australia using there UK home as collateral.

Another person I know used his Australian assets to borrow money to buy an apartment in Thailand.

You could also use your assets to borrow money and then send the money oversea's.

Your best bet is to go talk to the banks, as long as your assets are secure then the banks will consider.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

UK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really nice

Thats all very well but he is asking a UK bank to lend against overseas assets.

As far as I am aware the only way he could possibly do this if he is a very wealthy man and a "Private" bank looks at his worlld wide assets, but he will have to sell his soul.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:55 am
Just Joined

srauts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there, I have lived in Italy for over 30 years and now am about to move back to Scotland. I have seen a house I would like to buy, I have one for sale in Italy and one for sale in Scotland. The house I would like to buy I could afford easily if both my properties were sold. Here is my problem, How and where should I go to secure a Mortgage for the property I would like to buy? until my properties have been sold.
Thanks for your help
Stuart
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

UK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really nice

I would suggest you seek advice.

The broker would need a lot more information than you could reasonably be expected to post on here

To find a broker you could goto

www.unbiased.co.uk
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK IFA
Highly unlikely, lenders don't tend to look at assets held overseas as they can't secure a charge over them should you default on the mortgage.
Thanks - fair enough I guess!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Panhandle
I knew a family who secured a 100% loan to buy a house in Australia using there UK home as collateral.

Another person I know used his Australian assets to borrow money to buy an apartment in Thailand.

You could also use your assets to borrow money and then send the money oversea's.

Your best bet is to go talk to the banks, as long as your assets are secure then the banks will consider.
You probably find the lender is in the same country as the asset.
EG. Raise money with UK lender on UK home then use the cash for the overseas purchase. That could happen now.
As UKIFA said how would you secure the charge across boarders and there's currency risk for the lender too.
Lender would likely be happy to lend on a native asset then the borrower has the currency risk too.

Also times have changed. I had a friend you had a US dollar mortgage on a Uk home. Market isn't what it was!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

carolinemc134 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI
Does anyone know how my daughter who has lived in Dubai for nearly three years, goes about getting a mortgage in order to buy a place here? does she get one from Dubai or UK or can she have dual accommodation in both countries as she is cabin crew and will be coming home a lot more...really have no idea where to start.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Hi
I was an expat and have moved back to the UK from the US.
Now working as a mortgage broker.
There are possibilities but will need a bit more info to understand what your plans are.
One of the biggest hurdles is likely to be compliance with anti money laundering and identification if you're not expected to be in the UK at any point.
This is often covered by face to face meeting and seeing that yes indeed your passport is you!

That aside if you want to outline your plans. (How much you have to put down, purchase price, location of property, buy to let or moving back???)
Magic numbers are 80% loan to value. If you can hit this then interest only likely becomes and option. Over 80% and repayment is generally all you can do which obviously pumps up the monthly cost.
Optimum rates are below 60% loan to value and they increase from there.

Happy to try and help if I can
Duncan May
by what age are you expected to pay back the mortgage? ?In Canada I have clients who are say 60 and take mortgages over 25/30 years if they so choose, there is no discrimination.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

I would suggest she speaks with a broker or IFA (independent financial adviser)

They can at least give guidance on what the options are.

You may have to pay a small fee.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Hi, I'm just coming to the end of a three year "expat" mortgage with the Halifax, which was obtained through a broker: ADS Mortgage & Financial Planning in Maidstone. We bought a UK property whilst resident in Australia. We had to provide the usual details, proof of income, identity and so on. So you could give them a try.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

carolinemc134 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much that's really helpful at least we know it possible now
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:49 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

That aside if you want to outline your plans. (How much you have to put down, purchase price, location of property, buy to let or moving back???)
Magic numbers are 80% loan to value. If you can hit this then interest only likely becomes and option. Over 80% and repayment is generally all you can do which obviously pumps up the monthly cost.
I'm amazed that anyone would even consider an interest only mortgage. Back before the most recent crash I thought they were a speculative and dangerous product: my opinion hasn't changed. But the whole UK mortgage market strikes me as rather expensive and inconvenient for the customer as I'm used to the simpler US fixed rate mortgages where you can lock in a rate for the term of the mortgage and there are no penalties for making extra principal payments or paying off the loan early. I've just finished paying off a 15 year mortgage at 3.75% which is a great feeling, compare that to the emptiness of an interest only mortgage where you never reduce your principal.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

aj20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Can a non resident british citizen (living in india) get a mortgage to buy a property in india. If yes, which banks do offer mortgages?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 4:45 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I'm amazed that anyone would even consider an interest only mortgage. Back before the most recent crash I thought they were a speculative and dangerous product: my opinion hasn't changed. But the whole UK mortgage market strikes me as rather expensive and inconvenient for the customer as I'm used to the simpler US fixed rate mortgages where you can lock in a rate for the term of the mortgage and there are no penalties for making extra principal payments or paying off the loan early. I've just finished paying off a 15 year mortgage at 3.75% which is a great feeling, compare that to the emptiness of an interest only mortgage where you never reduce your principal.
Actually, interest only mortgages worked well for me. I had them on two purchases, and a third was a combination of interest only and a top up with an endowment. My income has fluctuated and I found it most convenient to pay of capital when it suited me. The last one was on our house in Staffordshire, and we paid off a twenty year loan in year eight.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Y

Also times have changed. I had a friend you had a US dollar mortgage on a Uk home. Market isn't what it was!
Do you know who they got their mortgage with or any info on how they went about doing this? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.