Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best place to keep money in the UK while in Australia

Best place to keep money in the UK while in Australia

Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best place to keep money in the UK while in Australia

Hi, I've been here since March but have kept my current account open in the UK for a few bills and also for when I visit the UK and as a contingency if ever anything went wrong. It is earning absolutely nothing in interest and I am now also thinking about moving some money back for a future property investment in the UK. What is the best way / best account for this? Cheers
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:07 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to keep money in the UK while in Australia

invest in Australian Dollars?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Hi, I've been here since March but have kept my current account open in the UK for a few bills and also for when I visit the UK and as a contingency if ever anything went wrong. It is earning absolutely nothing in interest and I am now also thinking about moving some money back for a future property investment in the UK. What is the best way / best account for this? Cheers
Bear in mind that any money kept overseas in an interest paying account or in a foreign currency may be liable to CGT if you are an Australian taxpayer.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Martin Lewis aka Money Saving Expert is often the best source of information for lowest prices, deals, insurance and banking in general.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/

It goes without saying that it depends on how much, how long to invest for, whether it's non-tax paying in an ISA and so on.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Quinna is an unknown quantity at this point

If you need the money quickly ING offers the good rates and instant internet access to your funds. Thats who I use and I have two in different countries. What ever you do though, do not shut down your UK account even if you have to pay annoying recurring fees. Unfortunately I learned the hard way because there will be times when it becomes real handy and you cannot open a new one from Aus.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I was meaning a UK savings account but with decent interest rate (not just a current account), not sure about the tax implications...I'll be living and working in Australia but am a British citizen born and bred in England and want to split the risk on my savings (save up some ££ in the UK as well as some $$ over here).
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

It's not a proper financial thing to do, but we invested in Premium Bonds before we returned. A bit of fun, I think we earned about 1.5% with small wins but we could have won a million! Easily cashable and indirectly a way of supporting the UK.

Of course we would have declared our winnings had we won big!!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Quinna is an unknown quantity at this point

I was meaning a UK savings account but with decent interest rate (not just a current account), not sure about the tax implications...I'll be living and working in Australia but am a British citizen born and bred in England and want to split the risk on my savings (save up some ££ in the UK as well as some $$ over here).
With regards to tax, you just have to pay the tax for the country where you are deemed to be a resident. Australia and the UK have a treaty which means you only need to pay tax in one country. In terms of income tax it can work to your advantage quite nicely because the tax year year in Australia ends June 30.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinna
With regards to tax, you just have to pay the tax for the country where you are deemed to be a resident. Australia and the UK have a treaty which means you only need to pay tax in one country. In terms of income tax it can work to your advantage quite nicely because the tax year year in Australia ends June 30.
You still need to declare the money in the UK though.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what risk are you trying to mitigate? That might help with advice
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:20 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Gold Bullion VAT exempt, unlike Silver

Last edited by Ballys; Nov 29th 2012 at 9:24 pm. Reason: Forgot VAT
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ballys
Gold Bullion VAT exempt, unlike Silver
Nice. I also heard that certain coins like Sovereigns and Britannias that are legal tender are also exempt from capital gains tax.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Bear in mind that any money kept overseas in an interest paying account or in a foreign currency may be liable to CGT if you are an Australian taxpayer.
That is with perm residency