Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to UK? I need help, please!

Moving to UK? I need help, please!

Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:12 am
Just Joined

kec987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to UK? I need help, please!

Here's the basic facts, I'm nineteen, live in California, and I have a cousin who lives in York, England who has offered me a place to stay until I can find a job and whatnot. My only job experiences are like, pretty typical retail (McDonalds, Michaels, Petsmart) and as a Telerecruiter/Registrar for a blood bank. I graduated high school last year, so I don't have a degree or anything.

I'm not even entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I really need help figuring this out. Is it even possible for me to move there and get a job and whatnot? I've heard it's quite difficult without like, getting married to someone in the UK or having legitimate skills, but since I have family who are citizens there, would it be easier/possible?

Sorry for how incompetent I must seem about this, I really need some pointers/guidance though. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:18 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to UK? I need help, please!

I'd suggest this forum instead;
http://www.uk-yankee.com/guide/expat-guide-uk/moving-uk
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, the UK-Yankee forum is probably your best bet, but also the Moving back to UK part of BE.

As for ways in, if you're not a UK/EU citizen, then it'll be pretty tough unless you wanted to go to uni there.

Basically without a degree or several years of experience, you don't realistically stand a chance right now as many of the summer camp type exchanges require full time study and the best option for most people, the WHV - Workers Holiday Visa, the US doesn't participate in so you'd not be eligible as it is a reciprocal thing.

Welcome to BE and good luck though!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add that your relatives are no use to you whatsoever. They cannot sponsor you for any type of visa.

Unless you have work experience, skills, degree qualifications you are not going to get any employer to sponsor you.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:31 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Like, why do you want to go to York? California is much better.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RICH
Like, why do you want to go to York? California is much better.
ha ha soooo true, do you know how much it rains there !
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:13 am
Just Joined

kec987 is an unknown quantity at this point

So if I went to school and got a degree/experience/skills blahblahblah in one of the fields listed on the shortage list or whatever, then get a job offer, that's the only way I'd be able to move there? Other than falling in instant-love and marrying some British guy.

And I live in an awful part of California, where it gets like 110 degrees in the summer, and never snows. I love snow and rain and clouds. And bottom line, is I have reasons for needing to move there I don't feel inclined to share.

Anyway, so I'm completely out of luck, pretty much no matter what?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:43 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

First, you should get a degree because frankly, with a high school diploma and a resume packed with retail and fast food things are going to be a bit rough no matter where you live.

I'd offer you the same advice we offer British expats living in some corner of the US that they don't like: move. But not necessarily move to the UK--move to another part of the US. Frankly, Seattle's weather will remind you quite a bit of that in the UK, and there are places in the New England area that can also have their share of grey skies and clouds and whatnot.

Once you are away from the desert of California, you can start to work on your plan to get over to the UK. For example, one of the easiest ways is to go to university here in the US and then do a 'semester abroad' or even a year abroad. Take a year or two of classes here and then get a study visa for the UK. Frankly, I'd strongly recommend something like this as it would be a "try before buy" arrangement. If things are going really well, then you can finish your degree and / or proceed with the find a UK husband kind of idea.

I know from where you are standing right now four years looks like an eternity. But here's a fact--in four years, you're going to be 23 years old. Would you rather be 23 with a college degree and a chance to get over to the UK, or 23 with a high school diploma and a resume full of fast food?

Good luck.

Last edited by penguinsix; Jul 16th 2012 at 1:19 am.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kec987
So if I went to school and got a degree/experience/skills blahblahblah in one of the fields listed on the shortage list or whatever, then get a job offer, that's the only way I'd be able to move there?
Pretty much, yes. Immigration isn't the same as moving from state to state. Not only do you need to apply to be allowed into the country, they have to approve it. That means you need to be able to offer them something useful... and money spent on groceries just won't cut it.

I have reasons for needing to move there I don't feel inclined to share.
Not a problem... but, if you were totally honest with yourself, you'd come to realize that no one "needs" to move to the UK!

Right now... yes? In the future? Perhaps. It sucks to be young, unskilled, and without prospects for the future! The good news is that with time and effort you can overcome all 3 deficiencies.

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Go for a vacation in UK. See if the reality is what you imagine.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 3:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kec987
So if I went to school and got a degree/experience/skills blahblahblah in one of the fields listed on the shortage list or whatever, then get a job offer, that's the only way I'd be able to move there? Other than falling in instant-love and marrying some British guy.

And I live in an awful part of California, where it gets like 110 degrees in the summer, and never snows. I love snow and rain and clouds. And bottom line, is I have reasons for needing to move there I don't feel inclined to share.

As others have said, if you have the opportunity to get a degree get one, no matter what country you would like to end up in. Your options without one are likely to be severely limited for life, unless you are a world class athlete, a financial genius, or just plain very lucky indeed.