Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

British citizenship and Southern Rhodesia

British citizenship and Southern Rhodesia

Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Amberraine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship and Southern Rhodesia

My mother was born in Southern Rhodesia in 1952 when it was still a colony. I was also born in Rhodesia in 1972

My mother has a British passport and both her parents were born in England.

Is she a British citizen by decent or a British citizen because Rhodesia was a colony which basically means she was "born" in the UK

I would like to apply for a British passport and would like to know if my mother is a British citizen which entitles me to apply for a passport via decent or do I have to go the ancestral route?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship and Southern Rhodesia

Short answer - take a look at the British Nationality Act 1948:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...9480056_en.pdf

Southern Rhodesia was, for nationality purposes, a country (Dominion) rather than a colony from 1.1.49 so it appears that your mother was a Citizen of the UK & Colonies by descent.

There were some special provisions for Southern Rhodesians to become CUKC after the UDI in 1965, but that depends on whether any application was made for you at the time.

All that said, for a while, the British Embassy in Harare were saying that people who had a CUKC by descent parent, and had a grandparent born in Southern Rhodesia before it became a colony in 1923 (at which point it was a protectorate), were eligible for British citizenship. Those pages seem now to be have been taken down and it is not clear if they were reflecting the law in the first place. But perhaps talk through the issues with a good UK immigration solicitor.

As a minimum, you should be eligible for an Ancestry Visa: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

casalavanda is an unknown quantity at this point

I was Born in Southern Rhodesia in 1948 a British subject in the Crown's Dominions, then, when the nationality act changed three months later I became a British subject without Citizenship. my mother was born in the UK However, my sisters and brother were British Subjects and Citizens by virtue of the fact that they were born after January 1949!!!!
But then I became a citizen of Zimbabwe when they got independence –I have Right of Abode, and I think I saw a section that said if one already had Right of abode and had a mother born in the UK that could mean that one could apply for naturalization and receive a British passport but what I don't know is whether I have to be living in the UK to do this. Also wish to know if having children who are now British Citizens makes it any easier for me... I don't seem to locate any info.
Any assistance gratefully appreciated
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casalavanda
I was Born in Southern Rhodesia in 1948 a British subject in the Crown's Dominions, then, when the nationality act changed three months later I became a British subject without Citizenship.
And then on 1 January 1950, when Southern Rhodesia citizenship was introduced, a British subject and Southern Rhodesia citizen.

my mother was born in the UK However, my sisters and brother were British Subjects and Citizens by virtue of the fact that they were born after January 1949!!!!
I see no basis for suggesting that they should have become Citizens of the UK & Colonies in the same circumstances. Why did they not become Southern Rhodesia citizens?

And are you telling us they have British citizen passports today? Is there something else you've not told us, such as a UK born parent or grandparent?

But then I became a citizen of Zimbabwe when they got independence –I have Right of Abode, and I think I saw a section that said if one already had Right of abode and had a mother born in the UK that could mean that one could apply for naturalization and receive a British passport but what I don't know is whether I have to be living in the UK to do this. Also wish to know if having children who are now British Citizens makes it any easier for me... I don't seem to locate any info.
Any assistance gratefully appreciated
If you have a UK-born mother you are eligible for UKM registration. You will as far as I understand lose your Zimbabwe citizenship but this may not be important.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...britishmother/
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

gandalfzim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, my friend was born in Southern Rhodesia in 1947, both her parents were born in S Rhodesia in 1912 (father) and 1920 (mother), both her parents acquired British citizenship by descent respectively - as all 4 of her grandparents were born in England, does she qualify for the new UK citizenship by descent via form UKM (UK mother)? I think the problem lies in her meeting the UKM second requirement - ie Southern Rhodesia's status in 1920.
Any clarification would be amazing, the home office guide is mesmerising!!
Many thanks in advance!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:04 am
Just Joined

sambrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in Southern rhodesia in 1954 and then adopted by a British woman and her Australian husband in 1962. Does this make me a British Citizen, a British Subject or a Citizen of UK and Colonies?
I am living and working in UK (and have been since Oct 2006) and trying to apply for Citizenship/Passport. Unfortunately there are no forms that apply to my position and I am getting really frustrated.
I have a long birth certificate stating that I am the product of this couple and an adoption certificate showing the legal procedure having taken place.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

gandalfzim is an unknown quantity at this point

greetings, suggest you look at the new uk citizenship via ukmother law guide

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si.../guide_ukm.pdf

and speak to

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...vicelocations/

in your locality, you will need supporting documentation, ie her birth or copy birth certificate plus yr adoption papers - the uk mother application is free plus a citizenship ceremony fee of £80 which is refundable if yr appplication is denied

good luck
Old Nov 8th 2011, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much gandalfzim, much appreciated and I will give it a try.
Kind regards,
Sam:
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by sambrit
I was born in Southern rhodesia in 1954 and then adopted by a British woman and her Australian husband in 1962. Does this make me a British Citizen, a British Subject or a Citizen of UK and Colonies?
None of the above, probably, unless you were registered as British with the appropriate authorities. Adoption outside the UK does not normally confer British nationality on an automatic basis. You MIGHT have a claim to Right of Abode - what nationality were you in 1962 (Southern Rhodesian?) and were you ever registered as an Australian citizen?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ and thanks for your comment.
I did speak to (by phone) the UKBA and they suggested that I send in my long birth certificate and adoption papers with an application under UKM form.
Waioting for my docs to come from Zim at the moment (which could forever) and will proceed in time.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:48 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by sambrit
Hi JAJ and thanks for your comment.
I did speak to (by phone) the UKBA and they suggested that I send in my long birth certificate and adoption papers with an application under UKM form.
Waioting for my docs to come from Zim at the moment (which could forever) and will proceed in time.
Phone advice is often wrong. I am not aware of any option to claim UKM off an adoptive relationship, although of course I could be wrong and/or you could be lucky. Although the application fee is only GBP80, so that is what you have to lose if refused. Unclear if a refusal would prejudice a tourist visa application to visit Britain, if you need one.

Interesting that you have not answered the questions on your own nationality. They are relevant to some options you might genuinely be able to claim.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ,
my bad for not stating my circumstance clearly.
I do have Right of Abode but am not too sure of the longevity of that Certificate. Is it for life or just within the validity of my Zimbabwe passport which is due to expire in 2 years time?
Can I not claim citizenship through having been born in Southern rhodesia? My birth parents are of Scottish extract but going down that route (grandparents were born in Scotland I think) would be quite time consuming.
Kind regards,
Sam
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:11 am
Just Joined

casalavanda is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a Right of Abode Certificate and it states clearly on the actual stamp in the passport that it is for the validity of the current passport. If you renew your passport you have to re-apply for it to be reinstated in the new passport. There is usually no problem with getting this done. I am still left with a question regarding the new law regarding mothers born in the UK. Does one have to be resident in the UK in order to apply for this right? Thanks.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks Casa,
and I hope you get the right answer to your question.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by casalavanda
I also have a Right of Abode Certificate and it states clearly on the actual stamp in the passport that it is for the validity of the current passport. If you renew your passport you have to re-apply for it to be reinstated in the new passport. There is usually no problem with getting this done. I am still left with a question regarding the new law regarding mothers born in the UK. Does one have to be resident in the UK in order to apply for this right?
No. And the vast majority of UKM applicants are NOT resident in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.