Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane consumer information

Brisbane consumer information

Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:49 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Lightbulb Brisbane consumer information

Myself and a friend here in brisbane are toying with the idea of creating a web portal for areas of brisbane. The content of it is geared towards consumer needs for people moving over here.
I found that when we were making the move, the information on local consumer needs was not readily available. I am talking about things like, shopping, car hire, local child care/kindy, local banks, and hospitals/doctors etc.
Don't get me wrong, it is possible to find all this out if you want to scour the net for hours on end, but thought that if it were all readily available from one web page it would make it a damn sight easier.
Obviously, for us to set about creating it we need to know if it is a worth while operation. We have been in toush with some local businesses, to see if they are preparde to participate, and so far the feedback has been promising, but we now need the comments from the other side of the fence.
So how does the British Expats family feel about it? Would it be of benefit to everybody?
If it proves to be a success, then we would like to think that we could extend the portal, or create another one, to cover other areas of Brisbane.
Please take the time to post a comment, as you may be able to benefit from it in the future

Neil.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brisbane consumer information

Originally Posted by neil.b
Myself and a friend here in brisbane are toying with the idea of creating a web portal for areas of brisbane. The content of it is geared towards consumer needs for people moving over here.
I found that when we were making the move, the information on local consumer needs was not readily available. I am talking about things like, shopping, car hire, local child care/kindy, local banks, and hospitals/doctors etc.
Don't get me wrong, it is possible to find all this out if you want to scour the net for hours on end, but thought that if it were all readily available from one web page it would make it a damn sight easier.
Obviously, for us to set about creating it we need to know if it is a worth while operation. We have been in toush with some local businesses, to see if they are preparde to participate, and so far the feedback has been promising, but we now need the comments from the other side of the fence.
So how does the British Expats family feel about it? Would it be of benefit to everybody?
If it proves to be a success, then we would like to think that we could extend the portal, or create another one, to cover other areas of Brisbane.
Please take the time to post a comment, as you may be able to benefit from it in the future

Neil.
Sounds ok, but we hire a agent for our visa application and we got all this sort of info from them as part of the service also on top of this it will come down to are you planning on charging and how much ?

From our personal point of view I would rather pay and have the info givn to me, but the wife would rather find it out for herself .

Martin
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:09 am
Just Joined

andy.m is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been over here for two months now and have found www.ourbrisbane.com very useful. It covers most of the things you mention. Well done to the council!

Come on England... and Australia
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:51 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by andy.m
I've been over here for two months now and have found www.ourbrisbane.com very useful. It covers most of the things you mention. Well done to the council!

Come on England... and Australia

Once you get here then things are easier to find. From the other side of the pond it is too hard to get a real picture of the facilities available in the suburb that you are intending on living.
Think that some may have misread this a little. A portal is a free service, no charges apply, but merely an information port of call. The charges for setting up are applied to the companies, and services that advertise on there.
The intention is to have around 200 different category titles, with around 8-10 businesses in each. It works a little like yellow pages but is more localised and more visual. It is also cheaper for a business to advertise there, against the $3000 that yellow pages want.

Neil.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by neil.b
Once you get here then things are easier to find. From the other side of the pond it is too hard to get a real picture of the facilities available in the suburb that you are intending on living.
Think that some may have misread this a little. A portal is a free service, no charges apply, but merely an information port of call. The charges for setting up are applied to the companies, and services that advertise on there.
The intention is to have around 200 different category titles, with around 8-10 businesses in each. It works a little like yellow pages but is more localised and more visual. It is also cheaper for a business to advertise there, against the $3000 that yellow pages want.

Neil.

Well if it's free .....

As long as you place ad's in say the migration newspapers and mags they have in say the UK I think it could work very well