Civil Surgeon on Monday

Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Civil Surgeon on Monday

Well having read RandomGirl's account of her awful experience I'm hoping I don't get anything like what she had to deal with ............... but, I'm a bit confused.

The only thing I'm missing as far as I can tell is the Varicella vaccine. I see that Ian has mentioned it should be a given that I've had it as I most likely would have got it as a child in the UK, but, I was unable to get any childhood records so had everything again. The London doctor ticked it on my list as "Not Routinely Available" .... so what do you think? I'm assuming that I will need to have it. Also, is it just one vaccine?

I'm sailing close to the wind on my one year medical date and if I'm not going to make it I'd rather do the whole medical again on the one day
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Civil Surgeon on Monday

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Well having read RandomGirl's account of her awful experience I'm hoping I don't get anything like what she had to deal with ............... but, I'm a bit confused.

The only thing I'm missing as far as I can tell is the Varicella vaccine. I see that Ian has mentioned it should be a given that I've had it as I most likely would have got it as a child in the UK, but, I was unable to get any childhood records so had everything again. The London doctor ticked it on my list as "Not Routinely Available" .... so what do you think? I'm assuming that I will need to have it. Also, is it just one vaccine?

I'm sailing close to the wind on my one year medical date and if I'm not going to make it I'd rather do the whole medical again on the one day

Hi Mandy,

I didn't have any official record of having had chicken pox but I definitely did have it when I was 3 or 4 years old, and I told them so at my London medical - they put a "VH" in the box for varicella - meaning varicella history. The varicella vaccine is not available in the UK as far as I know (not sure why) and I'm not sure if they give it to adults over here or not. If you've never had chicken pox then they might give you it. I don't know if it's one vaccine or a course of them, sorry!

Hope everything goes well on Monday and that you have a much better experience than I did!

RG
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The varicella vaccine is not and has not been available in the UK; it is commonly waived for IV applicants. The problem is, you as a K-1 are now an AOS applicant. If you didn't get a blanket waiver for it on your London medical, you won't be able to get the I-693 signed off without getting it (* think*!).
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Hi Mandy,

The varicella vaccine is not available in the UK as far as I know (not sure why)

RG
Just quickly jumping in here, it is available in the UK, but if your practice has no vacine it must be ordered and you will have to pay for it. I know this as I have to go for my remaining shots and or boosters next week and the practice nurse said I could have it if I wanted it....

The practice nurse got her bible of vacines out and told me the history of it and said that we have no need for it in the UKHope this helps

Last edited by Wolfy; Nov 14th 2010 at 1:57 am. Reason: additional info
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I can see some suffering ahead
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks, well apart from Ray

What sort of suffering did you envisage by the way!