Lincolnshire

Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lincolnshire

I was browsing property in UK on weekend, just to see how prices were going really and noticed how cheap lincolnshire was Is it some sort of evil dump or something

You can buy a country estate on several acres for the price of a fancy but still estate house in OZ.

It looks nicely between London and York so whats the catch.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lincolnshire

No idea now I have to go and look too Is it far from employment?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
No idea now I have to go and look too Is it far from employment?

City of lincoln, must be right dodgy, no jobs, daily mails favourite town probably.

Skegness seems to be the coast there, that sounds a bit chavvy
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:11 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well I saw lots of lovely homes for resonable prices they can't all ne in dodgy neighborhoods right? and the jobs on the jobcentre plus website seem to pay the same as in my Mums area. Google maps is next see if it's all really bad eh!
Edited to add, Looks like anywhere else nice in a lot of parts and some shops that could do with a lick of paint.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Aug 30th 2010 at 4:21 am.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Its a hidden gem and I hope it stays that way! A very rural county so not a lot of jobs. It has no motorway as such and no direct rail link for most of the county for an easy connect to London so not in the commuter belt. Properties are a bargain compared to other parts of the UK for that reason. And before anyone says its ugly because it is flat, they need to go to the Wolds which is designated an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' and well deserving of the title. It is a wonderful place to live if you like peace and quiet, big skies, views for miles and no traffic. Having said all that, Skegness leaves a lot to be desired (I equate it with Galveston, TX!) and the rest of the coast isn't that terrific either IMO. Lincoln is a Cathedral City with a thriving University, a nice bustling town.
It also has the best sausages in the world, bar none!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Lincolnshire

Its a fabulous place! Everywhere has its good and bad.
Some people do commute to London from the village i was bought up in.....But shhhhhhhhh dont tell everyone they will all want a piece of it...
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

City of lincoln, must be right dodgy, no jobs, daily mails favourite town probably.

Skegness seems to be the coast there, that sounds a bit chavvy
We have been to Lincoln and the city is fine, with nice shops and a good Cathederal...and not far from the coast....it has always been a lot cheaper than other areas maybe because it does not have major industry there or that is not one of the well known areas such as the Southern Counties etc......
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:22 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Its a hidden gem and I hope it stays that way! A very rural county so not a lot of jobs. It has no motorway as such and no direct rail link for most of the county for an easy connect to London so not in the commuter belt. Properties are a bargain compared to other parts of the UK for that reason. And before anyone says its ugly because it is flat, they need to go to the Wolds which is designated an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' and well deserving of the title. It is a wonderful place to live if you like peace and quiet, big skies, views for miles and no traffic. Having said all that, Skegness leaves a lot to be desired (I equate it with Galveston, TX!) and the rest of the coast isn't that terrific either IMO. Lincoln is a Cathedral City with a thriving University, a nice bustling town.
It also has the best sausages in the world, bar none!
Great post. Agreed - people should stay away. It's only for locals! But it is quite an attractive area, and if you're close to the western or northern edges of the county you do have access to good transport links (East England train line, the A1, a motorway M62?)

Not too many job opportunities there though, and people are often very backward in their views and opinions. I was in Lincoln a few weeks back, enjoying tea and cake in one of their tea-shops. A party of European tourists (8?) asked if there were tables spare. The shop assistant told them "No- sorry" and didn't make any effort to encourage them to wait. Generally a tourist place would either ask them to wait, or indeed ask individual people at various table sif they wouldn't mind sharing their table.

If you're looking for a cheap house by the sea, Cleethorpes/Grimsby could be worth looking at. Cheap for a reason of course, but may be worth it to smell the sea air every day.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:23 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I was browsing property in UK on weekend, just to see how prices were going really and noticed how cheap lincolnshire was Is it some sort of evil dump or something

You can buy a country estate on several acres for the price of a fancy but still estate house in OZ.

Zombies, rarely mentioned in the ads.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

tdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the rough

I went to Lincolnshire "on business" a few times - I think I was visiting Interflora who have offices there. Very rural and the bits I saw were actually very picturesque. Not a lot there though and the traffic links were pretty terrible (took ages to get where we were going) so maybe that explains the low prices. That might be what you are looking for though?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

I have a business in Lincoln and lived there for a while before coming out to the US. Depends what you are looking for really. The city is beautiful with the cathederal and old narrow cobbled streets and roads and there's a decent sized student community because of the University. A bit rural dependent on where abouts you are. Can be a bit rough in places too - but so can anywhere else right? Prices are definitely cheaper as there's not that much going on in terms of commerce and industry, however the transport links to Nottingham and Leicester are pretty good.

I wouldn't rule it out!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

If you're looking for a cheap house by the sea, Cleethorpes/Grimsby could be worth looking at. Cheap for a reason of course, but may be worth it to smell the sea air every day.
It is a fact that many potentially quite pleasant seaside places in the UK have very reasonable house prices. Some are blighted industrial areas, some seaside resorts that were chronically overbuilt in the late 19th/early 20th century. (So will always have more available housing on the market than there are potential buyers.)

South Shields may not be everybody's cup of tea, for instance, but it has lots of phenomenally cheap housing, plenty of nice beaches & coast within easy reach, and relatively well-connected by public transport. Redcar would be another example; some very high-quality housing at bargain-basement prices, good railway and bus connections, National Park and superb cliff scenery nearby.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

My parents live just south of Mablethorpe on the Lincs coastline and moved there from Essex 8 years ago. They love it there but my dad still drives south for work every Monday and returns on the Friday as employment is a problem there (although all his big clients are down south and he has made no effort to find new ones up north). I like Lincolnshire east of the Wolds. The countryside is pretty and the villages small and inviting in most cases. I visited Lincoln a couple of times. The castle and Cathedral are both very nice to visit and the town itself wasn't too bad either. Transport can be a PITA. A lot of the roads are single carriageway and have a lot of trucks on them meaning you have to do a lot of overtaking or just sit behind a lorry. This is one of the main reasons Lincolnshire has such a bad road fatality rate (people overtaking using poor judgment).

They are trying to sell at the moment, not because of the area, but just because the house is too big for them. They will be staying in Lincolnshire once the house gets sold.

I built them a website that has some pictures of the area around them. Have a look at the "Pictures" link and "The Area" link to see what that it is like in that area.

www.dunecottage.net
Old Aug 30th 2010, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all

Down from Lincolnshire is my county.......... so I can give you one hint as to why some areas of Lincolnshire have cheaper properties...check out environmental agency flood risk map ......

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...s/default.aspx

BB
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:09 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum lives in a village 5-7 miles out of Lincoln itself, I like Lincoln and the area but have been told you need stilts to live there because of the rain I've not noticed the rain any worse than other places in the UK. When I was there in August I didn't notice chavs, litter, graffiti, you know all the things we all moved to escape from, it just seemed to be a bustling area and there were lots of jobs in the local rag - at least 4 that I thought, oooh I could apply for those and few others where I thought, well that would do to start with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.