Music Sessions?

Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

SpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of light
Default Music Sessions?

Hi,

Can anyone please shed any light on if there is any kind of casual music session/ jammy thing going on in any place, or any time, or space? There was a post a while back which I read again, but nothing obvious. I was hoping to meet some people at the Penang Music Festival and ask there, but it didn't work out that way.

Or if anyone here plays an instrument (and has it here with them), then perhaps we could sort something out? Ive never tried to organise such a thing, and I have no idea what to do or how it works, but I just like the idea

PS I'm no professional, quite the opposite..

ST
Old Apr 15th 2014, 1:38 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Music Sessions?

Sorry this is a bit vague but maybe some others may be able to fill in the gaps.

I recently stumbled on a Facebook page called something like Penang musicians. I'll try and look for the actual name on there. Looked like there was plenty of chit chat on there.

There used to be, maybe still is, some kind of jazz evening with jam sessions at the G Hotel next to Gurney Plaza. I imagine if you look at G Hotel's website, you may find it.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

SpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks bakedbean, I did a search also but found nothing apart from a label 'Penang Musicians'. But then I am anti-facebook so perhaps it's invisible to me as I don't use it. I didn't find anything on the hotel website either, but I'll email them and ask. I even emailed the Penang Symphony Orchestra last week but am so far ignored by them. If you come across any more info, please let me know, thank you
Old Apr 16th 2014, 5:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

A friend saw your post on here (friend is not registered on BE unfortunately) and suggested checking out The China House, in particular The Canteen, in Georgetown. Take a look here:
http://www.chinahouse.com.my/activities.html

Friend thinks that they have jam sessions sometimes. Certainly seems to be live music at the weekends.

and here:
https://www.facebook.com/TheCanteenAtChinaHouse
on Facebook

Last edited by bakedbean; Apr 16th 2014 at 5:55 am. Reason: facebook link
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks! That's not too far from where I'm staying. I'm away this weekend but will check it out one evening next week. Thank you again : )
Old Apr 18th 2014, 9:24 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ST,

I suggest you start a Meet Up Group on www.meetup.com - the world's largest network of local groups. That way you can describe exactly what you have in mind and can attract other musicians who are interested in the same thing.

Also take a look in the Italian Restaurant called 'Via Pre' on Weld Quay in George Town - I'm pretty sure they have jamming sessions there too.

Good luck

JC3
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:36 am

Very slightly off topic, though I'm sure Spacial will not mind, but I followed the link to Meetups and saw that there is a Social Expat Group that meets up in Penang. Unfortunately it is a "closed group" so it doesn't really tell you what it's about or what they do. Pity that. Have you tried out JC3?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:00 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Very slightly off topic, though I'm sure Spacial will not mind, but I followed the link to Meetups and saw that there is a Social Expat Group that meets up in Penang. Unfortunately it is a "closed group" so it doesn't really tell you what it's about or what they do. Pity that. Have you tried out JC3?
Hi,
No, not tried it out yet, but I signed up last week, so might do. It looks like it has members of all ages, backgrounds and nationalities - mostly expats working in Penang.
JC3
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:11 am

Oh OK.... let us all know if it's any good. I'll stick a link in the proper place right now on here.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for the ideas again. I walked into China House yesterday for a look around (and a slice of cake- I couldn't help myself as I've never seen so many interesting and different looking ones). An interesting looking place. There appears to be some kind of live music every night, but if anyone else is interested, I asked a bar staff and they told me that random open mic type nights tend to be on Sundays. Wasn't sure if it was every Sunday though.

I still haven't visited Via Pre, perhaps tonight I'll have a look.

Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Ramin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SpacialTomato
Hi,

Can anyone please shed any light on if there is any kind of casual music session/ jammy thing going on in any place, or any time, or space? There was a post a while back which I read again, but nothing obvious. I was hoping to meet some people at the Penang Music Festival and ask there, but it didn't work out that way.

Or if anyone here plays an instrument (and has it here with them), then perhaps we could sort something out? Ive never tried to organise such a thing, and I have no idea what to do or how it works, but I just like the idea

PS I'm no professional, quite the opposite..

ST
If you're in the Klang Valley, certainly check out Merdekarya - they host acoustic open mic nights.

I'm a 30-something Malaysian and I play guitar if you'd like to get together for a jam around PJ/KL.