Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accurate Entry/Exit Records Required for OAS

Accurate Entry/Exit Records Required for OAS

Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:54 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accurate Entry/Exit Records Required for OAS

Good idea to keep a record of the exact dates out of Canada from when you become resident until you claim your Old Age Security seems to be moral of this story

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/immigr...-say-1.2608624

is it possible for CBSA (or anybody else for that matter) to check every exit and entry on every air or land crossing of the Canadian Border going back say 20-30 years???
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accurate Entry/Exit Records Required for OAS

Interesting. I'll need my own storage unit just for paperwork at this rate!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Good idea to keep a record of the exact dates out of Canada from when you become resident until you claim your Old Age Security seems to be moral of this story

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/immigr...-say-1.2608624

is it possible for CBSA (or anybody else for that matter) to check every exit and entry on every air or land crossing of the Canadian Border going back say 20-30 years???
Seeing as CBSA didn't have computers or passport scanners 30 years ago I wouldn't worry too much. Hell 20 years ago you just needed a driving licence to show at the border in most cases.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

and, let me guess, the OAS discriminates between "citizen by birth" and "citizen by naturalization"?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:20 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
and, let me guess, the OAS discriminates between "citizen by birth" and "citizen by naturalization"?
I don't think you have to be a citizen of any type to claim OAS, nor employed ....... just resident
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jimmydean
I don't think you have to be a citizen of any type to claim OAS, nor employed ....... just resident
So a citizen by birth would face the same issues/challenges, I guess?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
So a citizen by birth would face the same issues/challenges, I guess?
From the OAS website

Am I eligible?
If you are living in Canada, you must:
be 65 years old or older
be a Canadian citizen or a legal resident at the time we approve your Old Age Security pension application, and
have resided in Canada for at least 10 years after turning 18.
If you are living outside Canada, you must:
be 65 years old or older
have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day before you left Canada, and
have resided in Canada for at least 20 years after turning 18.
If neither of the above scenarios applies to you, you may still qualify for an Old Age Security pension from another country, from Canada, or from both countries if you have:
lived in one of the countries with which Canada has established a social security agreement, or
contributed to the social security system of one of the countries with which Canada has established a social security agreement.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a residence requirement, then there is an expectation that the applicant should provide reasonable evidence of meeting that residence requirement. This could include tax, insurance, employment, school, immigration records, etc.

However, evidencing every single entry to and exit from Canada over a 20+ year period is clearly unreasonable, and is unlikely to be supported by the courts if a legal challenge was made. Probably can be dealt with by the internal appeal process, or informal review (including MP intervention with Minister), before becoming necessary to go to court.

The point that it is often worthwhile to keep certain records indefinitely, rather than throw everything out after a few years, is a valid one.