Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Snake alert!!!

Snake alert!!!

Old May 4th 2012, 10:08 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Snake alert!!!

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
10 months.
That's not bad at all.
Old May 4th 2012, 10:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

10 months. If you look at the website link, it has photos (starting from photo #11) from immediately after the bite, to when the leg - after a large skin graft - had finally healed.
I'm surprised he didn't lose his leg. The lady at the Smithsonian said her college friend was bitten on the arm by one whilst she was walking in the woods. She had to have her arm amputated.
Old May 4th 2012, 10:30 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm surprised he didn't lose his leg. The lady at the Smithsonian said her college friend was bitten on the arm by one whilst she was walking in the woods. She had to have her arm amputated.
I think a lot depends on how soon you get first treatment - apparently, you rarely know you've been bitten, until a while later, when it wells up. By then, the necrosis has already started.
Old May 4th 2012, 11:26 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot depends on how soon you get first treatment - apparently, you rarely know you've been bitten, until a while later, when it wells up. By then, the necrosis has already started.
My friend got bitten in the small of her back. She didn't think anything of it, but then of course she couldn't see it. then a week later, she woke up and couldn't move her legs. long story short, a month in the hospital, hooked up to a vacuum pump....permanent nerve damage.
Old May 5th 2012, 12:36 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I've been stung by one twice.

On two consecutive days.

It was in Mexico though, and they had got into the legs of my jeans, which I did check before putting on but apparently not thoroughly enough. I took an antihistamine, in case of allergic reaction, and the locals gave me milk (). Obviously not fatal, about as painful as, say, six wasps altogether. But there are many varieties. The ones in northern Mexico are the nasty ones apparently, and in North Africa.
I have been stung twice here in AZ no big issue, but my son was stung last summer when he was a year and a half old. Phoned poison control and had to have him transported to hospital as he started hyper-salivating, there they gave him four shots of the anti-venom which had just been FDA approved which after 30 minutes had counteracted the venom. If they had not had the anti venom then they would have had to paralyze him for a couple of days and given him anti psychotic drugs.

If some one is stung or bitten call poison control straight away, keep their number on the fridge. Before the suggestions that has nothing to do with my wife's cooking.
Old May 5th 2012, 12:45 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Weeze....we're not that far from you....neighbour up the road gets scorpions in her garage regularly......the park on Peek just north of Fry is notorious for Black Widows under the playset.....and ....no....I'll save the bit about the copperheads for later....too much all at once.....
Old May 5th 2012, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Sorry Weeze....we're not that far from you....neighbour up the road gets scorpions in her garage regularly......the park on Peek just north of Fry is notorious for Black Widows under the playset.....and ....no....I'll save the bit about the copperheads for later....too much all at once.....
She can't hear you, she left on the late afternoon flight to LHR
Old May 5th 2012, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Now I'm actually in my account.
I have just googled them and they look like every spider I have ever seen. And they hide in your bed and clothes.
Mr Weeze, your pizza dough is in the mixer. Your family is on route to the airport.
Never seen a brown recluse up here, just the widows!
And I know they hide in bedding so it's best not to make up and spare beds you have until the night before you're due to have guests.
Old May 5th 2012, 12:58 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Not the barn park just off Emily Park??? I've over scorpions now as I'm presuming they mostly will hide in my garage. Now my main panic is the spiders that try to kill me while I sleep
Old May 5th 2012, 1:04 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Not the barn park just off Emily Park??? I've over scorpions now as I'm presuming they mostly will hide in my garage. Now my main panic is the spiders that try to kill me while I sleep
No, the other one - head along fry and turn right on Peek and its a half mile up there on the left. We used to spend a lot of time there when the kids were younger, especially in the summer because of the shade from the big trees. Used to go to the barn park a lot too....kids used to love the splashpad there. Ahh, bringing back memories!

I don't think the spiders will get you at night - thats more likely to be the cockroaches that crawl into open mouths looking for moisture and end up choking the host.....
Old May 5th 2012, 1:24 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I'm beginning to regret evicting Larry the lizard from the bedroom
Old May 5th 2012, 1:26 am

Too right - they are your absolute best friends around here. They eat all sorts of nasties! Almost as good as having a toddler!
Old May 5th 2012, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Absolutely right Brown recluse are nasty and must be attended to in the first couple hours.

I have had soldiers with the same damage, one was bitten on the neck, didn't know it and had a lot of damage, another his leg like that guy on the calf.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:20 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Tee hee hee! Weeze was telling me all about nasties last night - now I know why!
Old May 6th 2012, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

A fellow expat friend of mine got bitten by a brown recluse on her first day here. She was lucky though and had no lasting damage.

I had my first black widow experience the other day. I was shifting boxes in the unfinished bit of our basement and disturbed it. I got one hell of a fright, back in the UK I used to just put spiders outside but here I'm taking no chances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.