Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American would love advice re:moving to England

American would love advice re:moving to England

Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:43 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American would love advice re:moving to England

Originally Posted by sile
What about the cost of living in Scotland vs England, and other differences?
That I don't know. I do know that the Scots were smart enough not to implement the tuition hike

I am part Scottish myself. I love it. I had a driving job for a while that often took me up to Scotland. I miss driving up the A9 to Inverness and being in awe of the scenery. Think White Mountains in NH, only with more lakes (lochs), granite buildings, misty summits and the odd whiskey distillery.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:48 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by kimilseung
For me the two things that Britain offers are countryside/mountains and culture. You have to decide what you want.

If culture is your thing then being close to London is important. It is one of THE cities in the world for museums and theater etc. If mountains are important then somewhere in Scottish Highlands is the place to head. If you want a balance, then Glasgow; maybe Manchester (but the drop off in cultural terms from London to Manchester is immense)

If money was not an object for me I'd buy something in the English Lakes, great landscape, but without the worst of the Scottish winters, and just about everywhere in the UK in around 6 hours; and I'd have a few weekends a year in London and a few trips up to Scotland.
What towns are in the English Lakes that you would consider? What can you tell me about Glasgow? ( I once dated a handsome musician from Glasgow, which means absolutely nothing but I thought I would throw it in )
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:52 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

What towns are in the English Lakes that you would consider? What can you tell me about Glasgow? ( I once dated a handsome musician from Glasgow, which means absolutely nothing but I thought I would throw it in )
Villages in the Lakes, like Keswick, Ambleside, Coiston, Gramere. Kedal is a town just outside the Lakes. I have only visited Glasgow, but it has good museums and an hour or two away from stunning scenery.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Glasgow is no mean city.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:11 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

What about Edinburgh...any thoughts?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Glasgow and I would say go for it. I would suggest the West End of Glasgow or some of the surrounding suburbs. If you live in the West End it's only a 25 min drive to Loch Lomond (stunning!) and being a cosmopolitan city it has all the culture you could want.

That being said, please don't idealize anywhere in the UK or Ireland. Everywhere in the world has social problems that are not always portrayed in the media. We have violence too, you are maybe just not aware of it. Also, I saw that you mentioned the NHS; someone may correct me but I thought their was a residency requirement for this. You've also mentioned nicer attititudes to dogs; that's not always the case. I strongly suggest you visit first.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
I'm from Glasgow and I would say go for it. I would suggest the West End of Glasgow or some of the surrounding suburbs. If you live in the West End it's only a 25 min drive to Loch Lomond (stunning!) and being a cosmopolitan city it has all the culture you could want.

That being said, please don't idealize anywhere in the UK or Ireland. Everywhere in the world has social problems that are not always portrayed in the media. We have violence too, you are maybe just not aware of it. Also, I saw that you mentioned the NHS; someone may correct me but I thought their was a residency requirement for this. You've also mentioned nicer attititudes to dogs; that's not always the case. I strongly suggest you visit first.
Thanks for your comments. I will say again, I am aware that no place is ideal and that there is violence at some level everywhere. But believe me when I tell you that the gun thing here is bad. I mean, people are afraid to say anything to someone who cuts them off in traffic because people shoot people for such things. A lady working in a store in a nice town not far from here was shot to death after a holdup.

In regard to NHS, I would be resident in a short period of time if I move there and have my Irish citizenship.
Is there a lot of animal abuse there . I surely hope not.

Last edited by sile; Mar 14th 2012 at 1:28 am. Reason: Addition
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:39 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

What about Edinburgh...any thoughts?
I'll get flamed for this, but personally I prefer Glasgow. It has far better public transport and feels like a bigger city. Edinburgh is great to visit, but I would prefer to live in Glasgow. I don't know how they compare cost of living wise.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:46 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Er yes you might have to get used to the British banter if you're moving.
Yes, perfect example of the culture shock the OP would experience. Brit humor is completely different. For example, much of what is shown on TV in the UK would be considered offensive in the US. I just watched an episode of QI - which is about as mainstream as it gets in Britain - and they were all laughing at Jesus. I can't even imagine a scenario in which that would be acceptable here.

As far as northern towns, my own list of targets for moving back after much research was Kendal, Ilkley, Harrogate, Skipton, Hebden Bridge and York. All small enough to have a community feel but all with good arts scenes (or close to cities with good arts scenes), all close to lovely scenery, and all relatively low crime areas. Of the Yorkshire cities, I don't think York can be beaten - but the prices reflect that of course.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Mar 14th 2012 at 1:50 am.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:54 am
Banned

I watch graham norton..does that count?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes, perfect example of the culture shock the OP would experience. Brit humor is completely different. For example, much of what is shown on TV in the UK would be considered offensive in the US. I just watched an episode of QI - which is about as mainstream as it gets in Britain - and they were all laughing at Jesus. I can't even imagine a scenario in which that would be acceptable here.

As far as northern towns, my own list of targets for moving back after much research was Kendal, Ilkley, Harrogate, Skipton, Hebden Bridge and York. All small enough to have a community feel but all with good arts scenes (or close to cities with good arts scenes), all close to lovely scenery, and all relatively low crime areas. Of the Yorkshire cities, I don't think York can be beaten - but the prices reflect that of course.
Yes York seems lovely - good luck Sally.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:59 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I watch graham norton..does that count?
He be one of them foreign types, don't you know.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:02 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes York seems lovely - good luck Sally.
Thanks! I'm so excited that it's beyond ridiculous.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Some of the towns close to Bradford such as Cleckheaton are really nice. Met a lot of true "salt of the earth" types there. Bradford itself is a bit shit, but there's a lot around it. Leeds is decent too.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I'll get flamed for this, but personally I prefer Glasgow. It has far better public transport and feels like a bigger city. Edinburgh is great to visit, but I would prefer to live in Glasgow. I don't know how they compare cost of living wise.
Cost of living wise Glasgow is cheaper - especially in terms of property. I've always found it a much friendlier city too. Glaswegians just seem to be more open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.