Why Retire in Malaysia?

Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:39 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Congratulations Rusty 4 weeks is really quick.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:16 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much Kebi for your reply to my post. I must confess that, in the absence of getting much in the way of replies, I have not been checking on this forum very regulalrly - hence the delay in my responding to you.

Currently, it is our intention to come over in late October for a couple of weeks and I plan to rent a car and drive around the areas you have mentioned. I know you did this 20 years ago but have you been back more recently to the places you visited then? Is the east coast of interest to live or is it too quiet?

I like the anecdote about your friend and it would be interesting to understand a bit more of the thinking behind his decision, 2 years ago, to settle in Penang – I am guessing he is German too but if his English is a good as yours maybe he could post on here?

I take your point about landed properties and as I would be spending no more than 6 months a year in Malaysia a condo would be much more sensible - your tip on how to avoid the mozzies is also very welcome – I assume these can be a real problem?

I’m not sure I have understood your paragraph concerning “expat lectures” - could you possibly elaborate a little?

I’ll also check out the clubs you mentioned as it would be good to drop in while we are over.

Finally, Geedee, it seems you have made the big decision and are busy making the big move. I assume you will be based in Iskandar but I’ve idea where that is? Anyhow, it would be interesting to understand how you came to your decision, especially as you have made the decision very recently.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Re liveability and health costs in Malaysia and Thailand.

I first retired to Thailand (lived there 2 and a half years) then moved to Malaysia. Re liveability Malaysia wins hands down for me but.......as always, it's horses for courses. Depends what you want from retirement.

Re health costs, I believe costs are more or less similar. You have the added complication of language in Thailand. I think, and I speak from experience here without going into too much detail, you need to factor in some large amounts of rainy day money for future health concerns. If you get something serious in the future, large amounts of cash will be required. Sure...you can pay for some fine health insurance but a lot of health insurances finish at age 60, or 65 or 70....and if you can get health insurance in senior years, it will be costly. So ....either way....needs some thought... Or a backup plan like healthcare in your home country.
There are many local health insurance plans that covers up to age 100, but of course it comes with higher premium.

The only question is, during inception, is the applicant still healthy while enrolling for the health insurance.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 12:45 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the goalposts do,get moved sometimes too. Someone near and dear to me has experienced this. Once you get a condition and make a big claim, they do,sometimes restrict your claims in the following year, when you come to renewing the insurance. So.....always best to have some rainy day money to hand as well in retirement. That's just our experience anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes but the goalposts do,get moved sometimes too. Someone near and dear to me has experienced this. Once you get a condition and make a big claim, they do,sometimes restrict your claims in the following year, when you come to renewing the insurance. So.....always best to have some rainy day money to hand as well in retirement. That's just our experience anyway.
You are spot on with regards to the rainy day funds as health insurance only pays for the medical fee at the hospitals.

It does not pay us for not able to work and to generate an income to pay for rental, food etc.

The restriction you mention only applies to some insurer, not all. Look at the insurance contract in more detail.

Some insurance CONtracts have "Alteration clause" which gives the insurer the ability to amend the CONtract by giving the policy holder 3 months written notice

Sorry, I dont mean to turn this thread into an insurance discussion thread.

My point is know your contract now, rather than when a substantial claim has been made and being told by the insurer that its not able to renew.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:54 pm

Yes you're absolutely correct. We both only got cheapie insurances so not surprising I guess. Our strategy (we are retired) was always to have enough dosh to cover any medical expenses. Yes we saved up a fair bit.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kennyboy33
well perhaps i'm just feeling low, waiting for our bungalow in Kedah to be given its Certificate of Fitness(is it alive?).Been stuck in outer area of KL since xmas now..no car as yet. no buses pass this part.have to rely on taxis; then driver can rarely locate the house(or says he can't) and asks for more cash.Should feel better once got new car on mm2h(a great deal,must say.new Honda Jazz for only rm37,000) around October.driving standards simply poorer than England of course, though everyone seems to muddle through. only seen three accidents up to now
Well on the brighter side, the property prices in Kedah are not that expensive as compared to KL or Penang Island.

I am pretty sure you are getting the bangalow unit for less than RM 800K (maybe even lesser). Whats the build up area of the unit?

Mind if I ask which part of Kedah? Sungai Petani or Alor Star?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

Sungai Petani. just heard today its ready ! oh yes, loads loads less than rm800k.. rm204k..and its risen by 25% even before we've moved in.its 4 bed semi
Attached Thumbnails Why Retire in Malaysia?-sa13-4-.jpg  
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:33 pm

Congrats Kenny now for the joys of renovation
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you need alarm, CCTV, auto gate reno you may call Roger 012-492 8003.

He has been in this business for more than 18 years.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

many thanks roystevenung
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Although health insurance not a specific issue for retiring in Malaysia but for all who move overseas on their own pocket I would like to add something. I have a German health insurance which specializes in insurances for expats and overseas retirees (all nationalities). It is very reasonably compared to usual German health insurers but covers US and Europe only for three month a year. It includes hospitalization, outpatient, medication and even taxi and you can opt for dental and general check-ups. They don’t have an age limit, cover limit or renew refusal term. I assume that there are not only German insurance companies who offer that (and since I’m most probably not allowed to mention their name) you just need to goggle a bit.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

good advice kebi, thanks

will check it out.

I luv a good goggle

Kenny
Old Aug 28th 2013, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Aghh please go on Kerbi...give us a clue.....coz I can't find it.
I'm 76 and Cigna quoted me US$610 per month with a US$600 deductable; it was worldwide ex USA.
I'm looking for something local to Asia and cheaper.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I will not be barred from the forum by sharing this with you. I'm not involved in any way with this company - just a satisfied client. Check out: http://www.bdae.com/en/home.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.