Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Not surprising...there are many reasons for it, and you can't blame it on physicians being overly-compensated (Which is not true for a lot of physicians, considering that most of us are in debt for years and earn a modest salary during our training years ranging from 3 to 7+ years)
A physician friend of mine who is now in the administrative part of benefit plans has been highly critical of the proposals. However, in 1993 and now I would hear objections to proposals -- while acknowledging that the current system was highly flawed. I finally asked a "King for day" question. I was surprised -- single provider payments with physicians earning a good salary, converting malpractice to workers compensation, and some type of debt forgiveness based upon length of practice.

I was much in the way surprised. Of course, that would get nowhere politically.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:08 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
McCain is a very sore loser with a nasty temper. I am very happy he isn't President.
+1 on this.

He also appears to be racist to me: the "that one" comment in the presidential debates really showed an extremely nasty and unattractive side of him.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

While this bill is a start, there are big issues in it. How can the government tell me I'm required to have health insurance, and yet provide no path to buying affordable insurance? Sure, a company can't deny me insurance since I have a pre-existing condition, but there is nothing that prevents the ins. company from charging me an arm & a leg for the insurance. If I go w/out insurance and get sick, I'm likely bankrupt. Or I can buy a policy I can't afford, which would still lead to bankruptcy, so what's the difference really?

This is my biggest problem with this bill.

In saying this, there is no excuse for the invectives these Tea Party'ers are throwing around. That is completely unacceptable and disgusts me.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:18 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Now the Republicans and the Tea Party robots will devote every waking moment trying to figure out to to destroy it.
I think (hope, at least) that they may be in a bit of a bind there: my guess is that there will be a huge feeling of relief sweeping the majority of US citizens that the bill is passed, even if it does not offer as much as I - and many others - hoped.

People who oppose it too stridently, and call for its repeal will be seen as trying to take away something that lots of people wanted very, very much. The only way they can do that, I think, is to lie, and lie, and lie again. Yes, they are proficient at that, but it works better when you are fighting something that has not yet happened.

I just hope Obama, Reid and Pelosi grow a BIG pair (each) on this one, and come out swinging. A report in the Seattle Times says that Obama will be doing that.

It also has these very telling comments from an unnamed White House official:

"We truly believe that Republicans have way overshot the runway in their criticism of it," one top White House official said.

Demands from conservatives and "tea party" activists that the GOP leadership seek a quick repeal are "not a political winner" for them, the official said. "You're basically running to reimpose (denying insurance because of) pre-existing conditions on children. It's children."

That last comment describes very well the problems faced by people, like the vile Orrin Hatch and John McCain, calling for repeal.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

This bill is by no means perfect but it is a step in the right direction and a foot in the door.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
While this bill is a start, there are big issues in it. How can the government tell me I'm required to have health insurance, and yet provide no path to buying affordable insurance? Sure, a company can't deny me insurance since I have a pre-existing condition, but there is nothing that prevents the ins. company from charging me an arm & a leg for the insurance. If I go w/out insurance and get sick, I'm likely bankrupt. Or I can buy a policy I can't afford, which would still lead to bankruptcy, so what's the difference really?
How much is it reasonable to pay? The bill does the following, but not until 2014:

Coverage for those making up to four times the poverty threshold — $88,200 for a family of four in 2009 — will get subsidies on a sliding scale. That means you will pay somewhere between 3 percent and 9.5 percent of your income for insurance, and the government will cover the rest.
If your income is over that amount, then I agree that, other than preventing them using pre-existing conditions to deny coverage or set premiums, the bill doesn't do much for you in terms of affordability. But the pre-existing condition exclusion is a real positive for everyone, imo.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 22nd 2010 at 6:28 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

In saying this, there is no excuse for the invectives these Tea Party'ers are throwing around. That is completely unacceptable and disgusts me.
Depending on your income level, federal subsidies would be available to help pay the premiums. There is a cap on out of pocket expenses. I also think there is a premium cap included in the bill which would prevent insurers from gouging you because of your condition. I know it was one of the original inclusions but not sure about the final draft.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Depending on your income level, federal subsidies would be available to help pay the premiums. There is a cap on out of pocket expenses. I also think there is a premium cap included in the bill which would prevent insurers from gouging you because of your condition. I know it was one of the original inclusions but not sure about the final draft.
Hmm, well that is good to know. I hadn't seen any info about subsidies or a cap on out-of-pocket.

When I was employed, our household income was definitely more than 4times the poverty guidelines so who knows if this would really help us in the long term. Guess I would need to stay out of engineering and take a large cut in salary, otherwise this bill probably wouldn't do much for us.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So very much unlike Massachusetts where while you are fined for not having health insurance at least state funded health insurance is available at an affordable cost.

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
So very much unlike Massachusetts where while you are fined for not having health insurance at least state funded health insurance is available at an affordable cost.
Wouldn't the Public Option that was stamped on and killed have provided something like this?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
Wouldn't the Public Option that was stamped on and killed have provided something like this?
Pretty much. In fact the Senate version of the bill that originally included the "public option" was modeled on the Massachusetts bill.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Talk of timing. This morning I read Congress passed the House version, then I get a certified letter from the FAA saying I don't have a medical certificate anymore which means I'm out of work (It's a long story. Me and my AME can't figure out why they decided to do this )

Still it seems I can pay into COBRA hopefully at lower rates than before (assuming I can afford it)... then again who knows??

I still think a single-payer system would have been a more effective system and end up being cheaper to run. But this is a step in the right direction. Maybe in another 50yrs the USA will catch up with the rest of the world.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of wether we have an insurance scheme or single payer one access to health care should be a basic human right not a privilege!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Someone get me out of this god forsaken hell hole of a retarded state!

Efforts underway in Florida to stop health care reform

Disclaimer: No offense intended to anyone who actually likes FL.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:54 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by WARPed
Someone get me out of this god forsaken hell hole of a retarded state!

Efforts underway in Florida to stop health care reform

Disclaimer: No offense intended to anyone who actually likes FL.
Why not consider moving to Seattle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.