Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying rabbit & dog from UK to Canada

Flying rabbit & dog from UK to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:54 pm
London -Vancouver bound

Libertay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flying rabbit & dog from UK to Canada

For us it was £800 per person which to me felt like a really good deal as it's 6 days with everything included.

I am terrified of flying so it's also the best option for me, not sure how I'm going to cope when we need to visit in March!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

kate7590 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for your help.
£800 is quite alot for us, it will be more expensive that way than to fly me thinks :S
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:02 pm
London -Vancouver bound

Libertay is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand that. We are going to make a massive trip of it sail thentake a month to drive across the states in an RV.. Hopefully a trip of a life time
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

kate7590 is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like a lovely idea, I really hope you have a great trip :] x
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Not sure on cost for the dog as company paid. Our dog went from Manchester to Toronto on Thomas Cook Airlines June 2009, so they obviously do pet cargo ( I presume its going to be cheaper and easier than Air Canada - which only flies from Heathrow).

This was arranged by Best Boarding Kennels of Mississauga, who were very thorough and they sub-contracted the pick up to Ladyheye in England.

Dont know where you are flying to but Thomas Cook might be worth looking into if you are going from Shropshire. Im sure they fly to various Canadian destinations.

I got her a rabies shot 6 weeks before travel (30 days + recommended) and took her back to the vet for a health check the day before travel. Need proof of current annual vaccs etc.

Lynsey
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:52 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Libertay
We are planning on moving next year and we are going to take the boat from Southampton to NYC then drive as I'm not sure one of my dogs in particular could stand a flight.
Have you considered whether you'll need a U.S. visa for your trip? The Americans usually like to see a return or onward ticket unless you have a visa. You might not have that if you're planning to drive to Canada.

Not that it matters in your case, but I also seem to remember that a ticket to Canada won't do unless you're 'resident' there. A curious mind wonders whether a prospective resident counts as a 'resident' for that purpose.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

We flew our 12 year old dog to Boston a few weeks ago. Bought a crate online then got tickets via PBS (cheaper than going direct to airline). There were 4 dogs on the flight but we think he must have slept the whole trip as he was running around asking for dinner when we collected him.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

scm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew both my dogs directly into Halifax from Heathrow, on the same Air Canada flight as me and they came off the plane looking like they'd been to the dog spa, all relaxed and wagging tails.

I used airpets uk who were absolutely fantastic, it was quite expensive, but they dealt with everything and completely took the stress away. Everything went very smoothly, Heathrow have some pretty strict regs re size of crates and paper work and will not let your pet on the flight if something is wrong.

If you go onto their website to get a quote, give them the measurements for your dog and they will send you a detailed quote which will tell you exactly what size crate and what paperwork you will need, its up to you then if you decide to use their services or just use the info to get things done yourself.

There are quite a few companies who do this Petair were half the price of Airpets, but more expensive than others, but there service was superb.

Good luck
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:24 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
Have you considered whether you'll need a U.S. visa for your trip? The Americans usually like to see a return or onward ticket unless you have a visa. You might not have that if you're planning to drive to Canada.

Not that it matters in your case, but I also seem to remember that a ticket to Canada won't do unless you're 'resident' there. A curious mind wonders whether a prospective resident counts as a 'resident' for that purpose.
Had not crossed my mind that we would need a US visa I thought that as we had our PRV we would be ok.

Will look into it
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:07 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else keep thinking the title of this thread is 'flying rabid dog.....'?

might be why I never notice typos