Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Snake alert!!!

Snake alert!!!

Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snake alert!!!

When I got home today I took a cold drink outside to sit on the deck for a while before cooking dinner and when I opened the door a big ass snake slithered away from the door frame......scared the crap out of me I jumped back indoors slammed the door and then panicked.

I needed to see where it went but I didn't want to go back outside. When I finally peeked through the window it was disappearing into a gap on the siding of the garage wall. So now I am imagining all kinds of horrors as to where it will manage to get.

I hate snakes...I really really do
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:22 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snake alert!!!

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
When I got home today I took a cold drink outside to sit on the deck for a while before cooking dinner and when I opened the door a big ass snake slithered away from the door frame......scared the crap out of me I jumped back indoors slammed the door and then panicked.

I needed to see where it went but I didn't want to go back outside. When I finally peeked through the window it was disappearing into a gap on the siding of the garage wall. So now I am imagining all kinds of horrors as to where it will manage to get.

I found a frog in our basement ....not as dangerous as a snake mind but still made me jump and a little pee come out...
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
I found a frog in our basement ....not as dangerous as a snake mind but still made me jump and a little pee come out...

We have a toad that lives under our car-port. He seems quite nice..
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Better you than me, girlfriend! I'll stay where there are no snakes, just morons...
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:51 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
just morons...
Isn't there some sort of spray for them? There ought to be.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Isn't there some sort of spray for them? There ought to be.
Has the world always had this many? Or have I just noticed them more since I've become middle aged?
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:49 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

What color snake / type?

The snake is there because there is food. And food is in the form of small animals like frogs, birds nests and other rodents (mice). If you eliminate the underlying food source the snakes will generally keep away.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
What color snake / type?

The snake is there because there is food. And food is in the form of small animals like frogs, birds nests and other rodents (mice). If you eliminate the underlying food source the snakes will generally keep away.

Green and black and don't know what kind.

Well this is rural Texas, there are lots of birds and frogs and toads around and it also doesn't help that the neighbours closest to us have walked away from their home and it is now like a jugle

Last night I was dreaming about snakes.....yuk!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

We've now been in Florida for 5 months and have encountered more snakes here than in 30 years in Australia. We have just about got used to the "Black racers" as non-venomous and useful around the place as they eat other nasties and apparently keep away the venomous type of slitherers. But now, in the last couple of days we have been visited by two brightly coloured "rat snakes", both in the region of 6 ft long. Again not venomous but enough to almost induce a heart attack when I almost stepped on each one on two seperate occasions.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Green and black and don't know what kind.

Well this is rural Texas, there are lots of birds and frogs and toads around and it also doesn't help that the neighbours closest to us have walked away from their home and it is now like a jugle

Last night I was dreaming about snakes.....yuk!
I hardly saw any snakes last year, but I've already seen a couple and I'm hearing some nasty stories. A friend killed a 4 foot rat snake 2 days ago and my friend's dog got bitten by a cotton mouth last week. I have a feeling it's going to be a bad year
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:39 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.austinreptileservice.net/solid.html

I use this site. My biggest panic so far was the 3 year old running in from the garage to say she had made friends with a big big daddy snake. Never got to the bottom of that one. We had a 2 foot bright green one came in the garage when I was late picking her up from school one day. I though it was the hose to start with as it was so green.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:45 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen one here. Funnily enough, snakes I can cope with. Now roaches and big spiders, that's a different story. Keep on meaning to get a pest contract - none in the house yet, and would very much like to keep it that way!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We get quite a few snakes in the garden and sometimes in the pool...they are mostly harmless. One was resting under the patio door...unfortunately hubby opened the door and the poor thing got mangled.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Better you than me, girlfriend! I'll stay where there are no snakes, just morons...
We have both here, snakes and Morons.
I seem to find snakes in the middle of the road, I've run over quite a few really big rattle snakes.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Urgh I hate snakes, they scare the crap out of me! We had them nesting in our garden wall, I had nightmares for weeks. The pest control guy said that there wasn't really anything he could do, you can put these sticky boards down that the snake gets stuck to when it slithers over it *shudders*. He told me the best thing to do was send the hubby out with a spade, he got quite good with his reflexes that year. We have since taken the wall down where my husband found some baby ones getting ready to make their appearance the following spring. If it's any help the pest control guy did say they very rarely make an appearance in houses as they are more scared of us - I did challenge him with that fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.