Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

One-way travel insurance to UK

One-way travel insurance to UK

Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

urbane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One-way travel insurance to UK

There are similar threads to this, but not quite the same...

After an 11 month stay our family is leaving Vancouver, heading back to London. We're going to Mexico en route, and I'm writing because I'm having trouble finding travel insurance to cover the whole journey.

I'm looking for a single insurance policy that would cover cancellation and that would repatriate us to the UK.

After following links from other posters I have checked out WorldNomads and DownUnder insurance companies, but neither will cover us given our situation. Any top tips / other suggestions very kindly received.

Thanks

u.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One-way travel insurance to UK

When I was reading your post an ad popped up down the bottom of the page.

http://www.world-first.co.uk/home/tr...FUEa4Qod92u9Aw

I haven't looked at it, but here is another one for you to try.

Are you trying to get a policy so that if your airline ticket was cancelled then your whole family would be flown back to the UK?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that BeeDubya. I'm (still) looking at that site, but the problem that is coming up is a lack of clarity (on my part) on what is meant by 'country of residence' and 'home' in the policy wording. Because of this confusion I think I need a policy specifically designed for returning expats etc - but am hoping there is something more widely available. WorldNomads have a policy that allows you to name your country for repatriation, but is only available if you are starting in the UK - whereas I want to end there.

We're legally residing in Canada (on working visas), but are also full UK citizens with an address; so which is our country of residence, especially as we take a 2-week journey between Canada and UK?

Most policies understandably assume that travellers start and end their journey in the same country. I'm looking for a policy that would refund me (the money) for plane tickets, accommodation etc in the case of cancellation, but that would also send us back to the UK if anything happened once we were on the trip.

I hope that's making sense - thanks for your patience - this legalese does my swede in!

u.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

This travel insurance site may help http://www.go-walkabout.com/fc_emigr..._insurance.php

Last edited by aries; Apr 28th 2011 at 4:04 am.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Many thanks Aries - this looks promisingly specific: "Travelling Home? 'One Way’ Comprehensive travel insurance for families and individuals."

I've mailed them with my details, and will let this forum know if successful, to help anyone else who might be looking for this type of insurance in the future.

Thanks again

u.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:54 am
Just Joined

In the end neither of the companies suggested above worked for me - the insurance had to 'start' in the UK, i.e. to be eligible you have to be there (and have been there for 6 months of the previous 12).

When I wrote to those companies, both suggested World Nomads at <A href="http://www.worldnomads.com/">http://www.worldnomads.com/</A>. I also called the WN head office in Sydney, who were very helpful with my legalese illiteracy. Their policy seemed reasonable to me, covering travel, baggage and health for a non-exorbitant price.

Result: our family is insured for a holiday which falls between us living in and leaving Canada for the UK, with repatriation to the UK should it be needed (even though I'm buying it whilst in Canada).

Hope this thread is helpful to someone one day.

happy travels [i for one am happy to be returning to UK... another thread maybe].

u.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by urbane
Thanks for that BeeDubya. I'm (still) looking at that site, but the problem that is coming up is a lack of clarity (on my part) on what is meant by 'country of residence' and 'home' in the policy wording. Because of this confusion I think I need a policy specifically designed for returning expats etc - but am hoping there is something more widely available. WorldNomads have a policy that allows you to name your country for repatriation, but is only available if you are starting in the UK - whereas I want to end there.

We're legally residing in Canada (on working visas), but are also full UK citizens with an address; so which is our country of residence, especially as we take a 2-week journey between Canada and UK?

Most policies understandably assume that travellers start and end their journey in the same country. I'm looking for a policy that would refund me (the money) for plane tickets, accommodation etc in the case of cancellation, but that would also send us back to the UK if anything happened once we were on the trip.

I hope that's making sense - thanks for your patience - this legalese does my swede in!

u.
My MIL had the same problem after staying with us for 6 months in Aus. She was here longer than expected, her original (return)travel insurance expired and that insurance company refused to extend it (due to a medical problem that arose when she was here.)

Like you we hunted around for a one way policy for her on her trip back to the UK and found that residency was the problem. She wasn't classified as UK resident because she had been out of the country for more than 6 months. (Daft really)

She eventually got cover through Columbus.
http://www.columbusdirect.com/
They too have a residency condition but they were very helpful and when we explained the position, they contacted the underwriters and the residency condition was waived. However she only needed cover for the 2 days it took to get home so maybe that's why they were prepared to do that. May be worth ringing them to discuss (and tell them you know they have done it in another case!)

Not sure whether it will work any differently with you being in Canada rather than Aus though.....
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Bonnie. After dealing with banks, customs, insurance companies and the taxman, I am as clear as mud as to what 'resident' means; I think it is fair to say that there is no one agreed definition used by all the above.

For clarification on this specific issue, I am posting the text of an e-mail I received from World Nomads, which sets out their position clearly (which also ticked my boxes - although I had wanted cancellation originally [see above; I gave up on that]):

__________________________________________________ _____________
A policy can be purchased if you have already started your trip from the UK or have been away from the UK for any amount of time. You must be a British Citizen. A British Citizen is defined as a UK Passport Holder which describes the holder as a British Citizen or citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies, who has a permanent residential address in the United Kingdom and unrestricted right of entry to the United Kingdom.

If cover is taken out after you have left home to commence your trip, there is a waiting period of 3 days from policy start date before the insurance takes effect. However, in the event of serious injury in connection with an accident, you will be covered from the policy start date subject to the accident being witnessed and verified by an independent third party.

In the event of a medical emergency you may be repatriated to the UK for medical attention if deemed necessary by our emergency medical team. Please be aware that our policy benefits cease when you return to the UK.

Cancellation cover is not available to those commencing their journey outside of the UK.

Curtailment cover is available as per the policy terms and conditions.

Kind regards

Customer Service Team
WorldNomads.com
London

__________________________________________________ _____________
u.