Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living in England but want to come back with English husband and child.

Living in England but want to come back with English husband and child.

Old Mar 25th 2012, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in England but want to come back with English husband and child.

Hi

I'm new to the Canadian forum, but been toying with moving to OZ for the past year so been on that one.
However I have realised my heart still is back in Canada and want to come back with my husband and son.

I am a Canadian citizen, and moved back to the UK when I was 14. I knew I would always come back, but didn't expect it to take 21 years..... Life got in the way, married at 24 then he wasn't interested in coming with me so put the idea out of my mind. However the relationship ended back in 2006, and new that was my opportunity to come back on my own.
In 2007 I met my husband and by 2008 we had our son. My husband loves the idea of living in Canada so I thought I would start it all off.

My son qualifies to get automatic citizenship through me, but will have to sponsor my husband to go over (he was born in SA, but is a British Citizen since 2006). But before I can do this I need to get my sons citizenship sent off for, along with getting a replacement card for myself. (purse stolen when I was 16) plus I was 8 years old on my original!

I know the average wait time for new cards can take 12-18ths, so cant start the sponsorship off until they come back.

Is there anyone else in or been in the same situation? Would be great to hear any issues, or stumbling blocks.

Also I know you have to prove intent to move back, but not sure how I would prove this as until we get the go ahead I can't start looking for property, jobs etc? However my husband maybe able to transfer within his company to their Canadian office, but didn't want to ask them until we also had the go ahead. Would savings show intent? as we hope to take £20-30k with us.

Many Thanks
Claire

Last edited by bearclaire1; Mar 25th 2012 at 6:52 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in England but want to come back with English husband and child.

Originally Posted by bearclaire1
Hi

I'm new to the Canadian forum, but been toying with moving to OZ for the past year so been on that one.
However I have realised my heart still is back in Canada and want to come back with my husband and son.

I am a Canadian citizen, and moved back to the UK when I was 14. I knew I would always come back, but didn't expect it to take 21 years..... Life got in the way, married at 24 then he wasn't interested in coming with me so put the idea out of my mind. However the relationship ended back in 2006, and new that was my opportunity to come back on my own.
In 2007 I met my husband and by 2008 we had our son. My husband loves the idea of living in Canada so I thought I would start it all off.

My son qualifies to get automatic citizenship through me, but will have to sponsor my husband to go over (he was born in SA, but is a British Citizen since 2006). But before I can do this I need to get my sons citizenship sent off for, along with getting a replacement card for myself. (purse stolen when I was 16) plus I was 8 years old on my original!

I know the average wait time for new cards can take 12-18ths, so cant start the sponsorship off until they come back.

Is there anyone else in or been in the same situation? Would be great to hear any issues, or stumbling blocks.

Also I know you have to prove intent to move back, but not sure how I would prove this as until we get the go ahead I can't start looking for property, jobs etc? However my husband maybe able to transfer within his company to their Canadian office, but didn't want to ask them until we also had the go ahead. Would savings show intent? as we hope to take £20-30k with us.

Many Thanks
Claire
Hi Claire
Regarding intent, we were in a similar scenario to you. My wife, who is a Canadian citizen, sponsored me (a Brit) and basically wrote about half a page of A4 outlining our plans when we move to Canada and added that to the sponsorship app forms. We didn't mention anything about savings (we don't have much!), just that we would have some initial family support in respect of accommodation and that we would be looking for jobs closer to our moving date. My wife's sponsorship was approved fairly quickly. That said, I'm still waiting for my PR due to other complications. Good luck! Sounds like you shouldn't have any problems with it.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in England but want to come back with English husband and child.

A belated welcome to the forum and hello from me as I'm only 10 mins from Wokingham. Just about to go and get the barbeque going for an alfresco supper with the kids to enjoy the gorgeous weather.

Re: intent, others on the forum have used things like emails exchanged with realtors (even if you don't intend to get a property straight away, just to show you've been researching), job applications or job adverts (again, just to show you've been researching what kind of work you could do) or letters from Canadian friends/family.

HTH.

Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A belated welcome to the forum and hello from me as I'm only 10 mins from Wokingham. Just about to go and get the barbeque going for an alfresco supper with the kids to enjoy the gorgeous weather.

Re: intent, others on the forum have used things like emails exchanged with realtors (even if you don't intend to get a property straight away, just to show you've been researching), job applications or job adverts (again, just to show you've been researching what kind of work you could do) or letters from Canadian friends/family.

HTH.

Hello, Thanks for the tip. Are you off to Canada any time soon?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Hi Claire
Regarding intent, we were in a similar scenario to you. My wife, who is a Canadian citizen, sponsored me (a Brit) and basically wrote about half a page of A4 outlining our plans when we move to Canada and added that to the sponsorship app forms. We didn't mention anything about savings (we don't have much!), just that we would have some initial family support in respect of accommodation and that we would be looking for jobs closer to our moving date. My wife's sponsorship was approved fairly quickly. That said, I'm still waiting for my PR due to other complications. Good luck! Sounds like you shouldn't have any problems with it.
Thanks for the info, Good luck with your PR and hope it comes soon!