Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK with an expired UK passport

Returning to UK with an expired UK passport

Old May 4th 2011, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

hiyaneil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to UK with an expired UK passport

I am British and have a UK passport. I have been in the USA for a couple of years and now my UK passport has expired. I am planning to travel back to the UK soon, do i need to renew my passport in the USA before i go back? Or can i travel back to the UK with my expired UK passport?

(I know it is possible to renew my UK passport in the USA but it's much cheaper to do it in the UK.)

Thanks for your help,

Neil
Old May 4th 2011, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK with an expired UK passport

They wont allow you on the plane if you dont have a current passport IIRC. So I think you would be wise to renew it now.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you don't have another passport I can't see how they'd process your ticket? For sure it's possible to enter the UK on an expired passport because I've done it myself. However I also had an Australian passport that was valid and my UK passport had only expired by a matter of a few weeks.

The other thing to consider is that if you had any hiccups renewing it in the UK for any reason you'd be screwed for going back to the US.

Surely the price difference isn't that much to make that kind of hassle worthwhile is it?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Assuming you don't have another passport I can't see how they'd process your ticket? For sure it's possible to enter the UK on an expired passport because I've done it myself. However I also had an Australian passport that was valid and my UK passport had only expired by a matter of a few weeks.

The other thing to consider is that if you had any hiccups renewing it in the UK for any reason you'd be screwed for going back to the US.

Surely the price difference isn't that much to make that kind of hassle worthwhile is it?
I have an expired UK passport and a valid Canadian passport. Would that entitle someone to enter the UK in the Uk citizens line rather than visitors?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The renewals right now are taking months, theres a post in the USA section about it, so if you are leaving after October I'd apply now to make sure you get it back in time.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bandrui
I have an expired UK passport and a valid Canadian passport. Would that entitle someone to enter the UK in the Uk citizens line rather than visitors?
Been there done that, I've lived in Canada for 29 years and I travel on a regular basis between YHZ to LHR & MAN.

What it boils down to is the actual wording on the particular sign {they aren't all the same} !

If it simply says "UK Citizens" then you're well withing your rights, but you might have to fight them to get through, but.

If the sign says "UK Passport holders" then yer knackered...

The bottom line is, go go through the visitors line, it might be a few minutes longer, but it's easier on the blood pressure...

Canada Bob.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hiyaneil
I am British and have a UK passport. I have been in the USA for a couple of years and now my UK passport has expired. I am planning to travel back to the UK soon, do i need to renew my passport in the USA before i go back? Or can i travel back to the UK with my expired UK passport?

(I know it is possible to renew my UK passport in the USA but it's much cheaper to do it in the UK.)

Thanks for your help,

Neil
Some years ago I returned to the UK (family emergency) with NO valid passport from Canada. This was prior to getting my Cdn. citizenship and travelled with the expired family passport, my Cdn. P/R card and birth certificate. In light of my circumstances, I had no problems getting into the UK or back into Canada on my return but nevertheless it was still risky. Other family members were faced with a similar situation several years later and successfully travelled to UK and back on expired passports but times have changed and I would not recommend attempting it today. Pay the extra dough and take comfort in the fact that the next one will be a whole lot cheaper when it comes up for renewal in Blighty.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Bob
Been there done that, I've lived in Canada for 29 years and I travel on a regular basis between YHZ to LHR & MAN.

What it boils down to is the actual wording on the particular sign {they aren't all the same} !

If it simply says "UK Citizens" then you're well withing your rights, but you might have to fight them to get through, but.

If the sign says "UK Passport holders" then yer knackered...

The bottom line is, go go through the visitors line, it might be a few minutes longer, but it's easier on the blood pressure...

Canada Bob.
Thanks for that Bob. Everything comes to she who waits . (I posted my question a week ago ).