Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

What skills needed to find a job as antenna designer?

What skills needed to find a job as antenna designer?

Old May 1st 2012, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Fovaras is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What skills needed to find a job as antenna designer?

Hello i am new in this forum sorry for my poor English. This period i am studying for my master degree on Telecommucations. We have some nice lessons in the university but i want to know when i will search to find a job for example on antenna design ( iknow CST and HFSS) what are the skills that i will asked to know?The company will see my marks on the lessons and what lesson i took on my 1 year master ?

Also i see that the telecommunication companies are not search for antenna designers a lot but for network engineers

Let me know what is going on in the market of telecommunications.

Thanks a lot and take care
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:35 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What skills needed to find a job as antenna designer?

I would suggest that only antenna companies will want antenna designers - although mobile phone co's also need them. Surely telecomms co's will buy in the antenna's ready made, which is why they are looking for network engineers.

Isnt antenna design only restricting your options, very much like a vet only dealing with snakes.?? Surely the Masters will be covering more than HFSS.

hth
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the answer!!! Yes of course it is not only these two program in Master ,i personally run them on my own cause i like them. I like also optic fibers, waveguides and mobiles's lessons. But i don't know where i can search to see what companies looking for..? I see usually that they want experiene for the jobs that i find.
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:14 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fovaras
Thanks for the answer!!! Yes of course it is not only these two program in Master ,i personally run them on my own cause i like them. I like also optic fibers, waveguides and mobiles's lessons. But i don't know where i can search to see what companies looking for..? I see usually that they want experiene for the jobs that i find.
Isn't your uni assisting you in finding employment ??
Aren't there any "release" schemes available with companies who are looking for interns for say 3 months ?

experience comes with experience - basic I know, but straight from a Masters you will need to start at the bottom and prove your ability.
That is the time when you find that in practice you are actually interested in other fields and excel in them.

surely searching for yourself on Google will give you some idea of job descriptions and the needs of employers. There are International recruitment companies offering jobs, but perhaps living in your part of the Eu you have restricted options and will have to go abroad to make it in the workplace.

rgds
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Here in Greece this period is a difficult to find something so i look for another country. On this way i take as more tools as i can, to be competitive. I like that you say "That is the time when you find that in practice you are actually interested in other fields and excel in them." This is very nice

Thanks very much bro for your true information!!!
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fovaras
Here in Greece this period is a difficult to find something so i look for another country. On this way i take as more tools as i can, to be competitive. I like that you say "That is the time when you find that in practice you are actually interested in other fields and excel in them." This is very nice

Thanks very much bro for your true information!!!
No problem, been there, done that, got the scars to prove it
My time in Telecomms started in 1960 when I suddenly found Amateur Radio. From then I have travelled the world in Royal Navy telecomms, learnt about satellites, fibre optics, etc but I do not have the badge of a Masters as you do, just experience from the University of Life, and it is too late (probably) to take and put to any use.

I hope my comments have shown a level of experience - I remember in my teens parts of telecomms I felt I wanted to know more about but that turned out to be more out of laziness, once I started into it in ernest I found that there was so much to know, so much to learn. Cryptography I shunned but turned out to be quite good at it.
Now I cannot see only one narrow subject but a whole cornucopia of interesting subjects hanging off the tree waiting to be picked.

Please - come back here later and let me and everyone else know how you got on. Perhaps your experiences will assist others just starting on the road you are already on.

KR