Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

biting the bullet, some ??s

biting the bullet, some ??s

Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

caferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nice
Default biting the bullet, some ??s

Hi...After a a short visit back to the UK late last year, im moving back. To decide on which cities would suit me, or I might suit them, i checke dout , Bath, Oxford, Bristol, Norwich, Reading....Reading where all the work seems to be, was a bit of a soulless place, Bath and Bristol were OK, but liked Norwich, so im not resting and waiting anymore, ive made an offer on a small place, and started to apply for jobs, its a nice place with quite a bit of Bespoke engineering going on , from aerospace to motor sport, not quite on teh level of Northampton motorsport valley area but still ok , and above all i like the city, even has a EPL football team!, and green king beer!...strange thing is was even thinking about a move to Hobart also a nice place but not much going on..work wise...ok my question, ive been reading a lot on this board and thx! , have loads of tips, re drivers licenses, ect etc, NI contributions, OZForex for money, one question though....Ive read two different things regarding savings transfers from Oz to teh UK and being there before you arrive, before your savings arrive otherwise you are taxed on this money???....i have to open up a bank account when i arrive so, its a bit strange, i cant open one before hand and transfer...i want to get my room , get set up and then organise a transfer of my Savings into pounds...ummmany help appreciated, Thx!!!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: biting the bullet, some ??s

There are folks here with greater knowledge than I have, they'll be along shortly!

I was given a link by another expat and opened an account with Yorkshire Bank whilst still in Australia. You just need to remember (and I believe this is UK banking law...?) that once you transfer funds to your UK account you cannot access them until on UK soil-(something to do with potential money laundering I understand).

Make sure you have enough to tide you over until you are here and are able to access your UK account.

Good luck!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Re: biting the bullet, some ??s

Another site with great resources is UK-Yankee.com ( go to forum under community) Many of the members here are also members there including myself. Multiple threads regarding the question you asked especially transferring money, taxes etc.