Best Flight Fares to UK

Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Flight Fares to UK

You can get refund for some of the taxes on the return portion of the ticket but you need to notify the airline that you will not be using it.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think the best way is to not let them know - for fear that they charge your credit card for a one way!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Well I think the best way is to not let them know - for fear that they charge your credit card for a one way!
They can't do that, it would be an unauthorised charge.
Many people buy return tickes intending to use both portions than have to cancel for some reason.
Telling the airline in advance does throw open the seat to be sold to someone else.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They can't do that, it would be an unauthorised charge.
Many people buy return tickes intending to use both portions than have to cancel for some reason.
Telling the airline in advance does throw open the seat to be sold to someone else.
Ahh I see... No chance of some "Terms and conditions" you checkmarked whilst booking online hindering your ability to claim it as an unauthorised charge? Or is that all overridden by the bank? I'm only so curious about this because I plan to do that myself if I can't find a good deal on a one way.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:15 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh I see... No chance of some "Terms and conditions" you checkmarked whilst booking online hindering your ability to claim it as an unauthorised charge? Or is that all overridden by the bank? I'm only so curious about this because I plan to do that myself if I can't find a good deal on a one way.
They can't bill you for a charge you haven't agreed to.
What they CAN put in the T&C is clauses like - 'no refunds after the first leg of the trip has been flown' or 'no changes to return flights after outward leg has been started'.And the cheaper the original price, the more restrictive the conditions will be.
They can't penalise you for only flying one leg though as there are too many legit reasons for doing it.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana is correct they cannot charge you if you do cancel your return portion. When you purchase the tickets you are authorizing payment for that amount and that amount only. They would need approval to make any further charges from your credit card.
Only using one portion can actually benefit the airline as it means once they know you don't intend to use the return leg they can sell it again.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by c.m.p.
Have you tried searching on hipmunk.com?

My point is, I think the days of needing to book a round-trip with no intention of taking the return flight are a thing of the past. You have other options. Good luck!
From everything I have searched all the one way flights are cheaper than a retun. Not sure if it's my location but was shocked to read that a return ticket is cheapee
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Pollyana is correct they cannot charge you if you do cancel your return portion. When you purchase the tickets you are authorizing payment for that amount and that amount only. They would need approval to make any further charges from your credit card.
Only using one portion can actually benefit the airline as it means once they know you don't intend to use the return leg they can sell it again.
Sigh of relief for me, but if letting them know benefits the airline, all the more reason not to let them know, unless you like said airline and they've been good to you etc. but for how much they rip us off on flight tickets?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

But it foes benefit you because you get the money back you paid for the taxes. You have everything to gain by letting them. Stupid if you don't take advantage of at least getting a few quid back from them.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But it foes benefit you because you get the money back you paid for the taxes. You have everything to gain by letting them. Stupid if you don't take advantage of at least getting a few quid back from them.
Is that a guarantee? If so, then win-win. I'd happily let them know then. I thought though that what Pollyanna said

They can't bill you for a charge you haven't agreed to.
What they CAN put in
the T&C is clauses like - 'no refunds after the first leg of the trip has
been flown' or 'no changes to return flights after outward leg has been
started'.And the cheaper the original price, the more restrictive the conditions
will be.
would mean that they could not issue a refund, with it then being only to their benefit if you make them aware you are not using the return leg.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 10:53 pm
Home and Happy

Is that a guarantee? If so, then win-win. I'd happily let them know then. I thought though that what Pollyanna said

would mean that they could not issue a refund, with it then being only to their benefit if you make them aware you are not using the return leg.
Most will refund taxes even if they can't refund the fare. Or they may offer to hold an amount in credit for future use. Every ticket is different, thats why you should always read the T&C on each fare you book - so many different classes, and rules differ between airlines as well.

The other reason (in my book) for telling the airline you are cancelling is this - what is you need to travel suddenly, say for a sick relative - and you can't get on a flight at the last minute because the airline thinks the seats are all sold.......but at least one of those seats is sold to someone who has already decided not to use it but hasn't bothered to cancel? After a few years on here listening to people trying desperately to get a flight home - and even doing it myself once.......
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very good point Pollyana.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:44 pm
Home and Happy

Very good point Pollyana.

More an emotional pont than a practical one, but after reading too many threads of that kind over the years, if I could ever free up a seat in case someone needed it, I would.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana

More an emotional pont than a practical one, but after reading too many threads of that kind over the years, if I could ever free up a seat in case someone needed it, I would.
True... That is a good point.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmaple
I've read that it's possible to get a partial refund on the unused portion of the air ticket - I don't know how much one gets back but that's what I intend to do once I've landed in the UK.
How much did you get back?