Banking new to UK

Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking new to UK

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
When I worked in Britain there were Americans in the office who could not get car insurance because they were American citizens. They had to put up with the frustration and expense of getting car insurance from their American car insurance companies to drive the car/s they had purchased in Britain.

That's how I know.
Except that most American insurance companies will not quote for business outside the United States. Firstly, they don't usually have a license to operate in other countries, and secondly, they have no experience of the local market where risks will differ from the United States.

Really - this sounds like hearsay, anecdote etc. There is absolutely no reason why a United States citizen resident in the United Kingdom, especially with a British drivers license, should not be able to get car insurance locally.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not planning to drive at first, I hate driving and one of the benefits of moving to a large city is the excellent public transport infrastructure. I'm sure, eventually, I'll end up driving, much as I hate the though of it. Still, the idea insurance would be denied to me on the basis of US citizenship is appalling.

I think THAT is the point I would march down to the US embassy and hand over my passport.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markie
I am not planning to drive at first, I hate driving and one of the benefits of moving to a large city is the excellent public transport infrastructure. I'm sure, eventually, I'll end up driving, much as I hate the though of it. Still, the idea insurance would be denied to me on the basis of US citizenship is appalling.

I think THAT is the point I would march down to the US embassy and hand over my passport.
Strong recommendation. If you are going to use forums for information, you need to be discerning and and learn to distinguish genuine information from anecdote/hearsay (which often then develops into myth/scaremongering etc). One strategy is seek to verify everything yourself.

The insurance story - if that was really true, wouldn't we have heard about it from more sources before now?

What is true, however, is that as a newcomer to the United Kingdom without an established history, your insurance will probably cost more than it would otherwise do. Also, if you are taking up residence, you may want to consider getting a British drivers licence as soon as possible. You will likely need to do the driving test but that may be easier (in terms of logistics) if you can still use your U.S. licence to drive instead of getting a provisional (learner) licence in Britain. Obviously, if you do drive on your U.S. license, you need insurance unless it's already provided such as in a rental car.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Strong recommendation. If you are going to use forums for information, you need to be discerning and and learn to distinguish genuine information from anecdote/hearsay (which often then develops into myth/scaremongering etc). One strategy is seek to verify everything yourself.

The insurance story - if that was really true, wouldn't we have heard about it from more sources before now?

What is true, however, is that as a newcomer to the United Kingdom without an established history, your insurance will probably cost more than it would otherwise do. Also, if you are taking up residence, you may want to consider getting a British drivers licence as soon as possible. You will likely need to do the driving test but that may be easier (in terms of logistics) if you can still use your U.S. licence to drive instead of getting a provisional (learner) licence in Britain. Obviously, if you do drive on your U.S. license, you need insurance unless it's already provided such as in a rental car.
That's a really good point, it'll be much easier to get it within the first year even if I don't plan to use it, than it'll be to go through the whole process later on. Can one take the test in a rental car? If so I may just rent a car for a week (so I have time to practice with the differences) and take the exam so I have a licence.

Question, though - is it even possible to rent a standard transmission car? I know the test has to be taken in a standard, and I know in the US (at least where I live) it isn't (I've had to rent a car several times when people have hit me - I have bad luck, I've never been at fault. Heck, last time I was legally parked and got out from my shopping - someone ran right into my parked car in the lot!). I've asked for a standard (I hate driving automatic, I actually find it harder oddly enough) and they've told me each time they don't rent standards, only automatics. I'm not sure if this is the case in other countries or not. I've never had a desire to rent a car on holiday. The point of holiday is to get AWAY from the miserable stresses of daily life, driving being the biggest.

Oddly, I consider myself an excellent driver. I've asked British relatives when visiting here to tell me honestly if they thought I could pass a British driver exam if I need to, and they have all told me "first time, you'll do great, you're a great driver - just make sure you know the rules well and do everything exactly how they expect" or something close to that at least. I just hate driving. It's expensive, tiring, and boring.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:28 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that most American insurance companies will not quote for business outside the United States. Firstly, they don't usually have a license to operate in other countries, and secondly, they have no experience of the local market where risks will differ from the United States.

Really - this sounds like hearsay, anecdote etc. There is absolutely no reason why a United States citizen resident in the United Kingdom, especially with a British drivers license, should not be able to get car insurance locally.
I have told the truth. It's not an anecdote.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:33 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

That's a really good point, it'll be much easier to get it within the first year even if I don't plan to use it, than it'll be to go through the whole process later on. Can one take the test in a rental car? If so I may just rent a car for a week (so I have time to practice with the differences) and take the exam so I have a licence.

Question, though - is it even possible to rent a standard transmission car? I know the test has to be taken in a standard, and I know in the US (at least where I live) it isn't (I've had to rent a car several times when people have hit me - I have bad luck, I've never been at fault. Heck, last time I was legally parked and got out from my shopping - someone ran right into my parked car in the lot!). I've asked for a standard (I hate driving automatic, I actually find it harder oddly enough) and they've told me each time they don't rent standards, only automatics. I'm not sure if this is the case in other countries or not. I've never had a desire to rent a car on holiday. The point of holiday is to get AWAY from the miserable stresses of daily life, driving being the biggest.

Oddly, I consider myself an excellent driver. I've asked British relatives when visiting here to tell me honestly if they thought I could pass a British driver exam if I need to, and they have all told me "first time, you'll do great, you're a great driver - just make sure you know the rules well and do everything exactly how they expect" or something close to that at least. I just hate driving. It's expensive, tiring, and boring.
I don't know if you can take a British Driving test in a rental car. Surely you would use the driving school's car that you had been having driving lessons in. Just so you can be to driving test standard and not waste time and money on re-tests. Anyway, it's a two part test these days i.e. you have to take a multiple choice exam first then, depending on the result of this, you can apply to do the practical test. It's not like you get the date and time of the test, take the classroom based test then, if you pass, go on to do the practical test. The two are done on different days.

By the way, if you take your driving test and pass it in a car with automatic gear transmission you will only legally be allowed to drive a car (in Britain at least) with automatic gear transmission.

If you take your driving test and pass it in a car with manual - what you are calling standard, gear transmission then you can legally drive a car (in Britain at least) with either manual or automatic gear transmission.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 13th 2014 at 5:47 am. Reason: in Britain at least
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

90% of UK car rental vehicles are manual. It tends to cost more to rent an auto.
Not sure about taking the test in a rental. Better to have a few lessons with a driving school to familiarize yourself with the differences ,then take test in their car - that's what most people do.
Re bank account. Can't answer this as I'm UK citizen and kept my UK bank accounts when we emigrated. you will need a UK address for certain. if you have British citizenship then you should be able to open one.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quiltman
90% of UK car rental vehicles are manual. It tends to cost more to rent an auto.
Not sure about taking the test in a rental. Better to have a few lessons with a driving school to familiarize yourself with the differences ,then take test in their car - that's what most people do.
Re bank account. Can't answer this as I'm UK citizen and kept my UK bank accounts when we emigrated. you will need a UK address for certain. if you have British citizenship then you should be able to open one.
Thank you for the advice. Perhaps a couple lessons would be valuable, yes, because of the differences and also knowing what the "test standard" is on things. I just looked at lessons, they're not AS expensive as I thought. I still think that £400 is ridiculous though (that seems to be about what basic "brush up" lessons cost).

I know it's not a popular view, but I know a guy who sold his car when he moved to San Francisco, says that it was the best decision he ever made.

And obviously I know I have to take the test in a standard Snap Shot, that's why I mentioned it Quite the difference from the US, where taking the test in a standard is discouraged (and my understanding is, outright banned in New Jersey).
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

I must admit I can see absolutely no reason why an American citizen should have any difficulty getting car insurance, many US citizens live in this country either temporarily or permanently and it must be assumed they can legally drive.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not that the OP is particularly interested but good old Tesco say this. Direct Line state this

Please note , to be seen as UK ordinarily resident one need to have been in the UK for at least 6 months I believe.
Someone correct me if the period of time is incorrect.

I have taken this from what is required from a younger person that has been outside of the UK for over 2 years but then want to apply for a UK WHV. Those people need to be back in the UK for half a year it seems.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not that the OP is particularly interested but good old Tesco say this. Direct Line state this

Please note , to be seen as UK ordinarily resident one need to have been in the UK for at least 6 months I believe.
Someone correct me if the period of time is incorrect.

I have taken this from what is required from a younger person that has been outside of the UK for over 2 years but then want to apply for a UK WHV. Those people need to be back in the UK for half a year it seems.
Both those links refer to foreign licences, so it definitely seems like I should just spend a few hundred pounds and get a British licence so I have it.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Both those links refer to foreign licences, so it definitely seems like I should just spend a few hundred pounds and get a British licence so I have it.
In your own time. No biggie. Public transport is good and taxis abound.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:08 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know it is still possible to take the driving test on an automatic in the UK, but then you are only qualified to drive an automatic, which is a severe disadvantage in the UK where most vehicles are manual.

You can work out whether you need a UK license here:https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
As far as I know it is still possible to take the driving test on an automatic in the UK, but then you are only qualified to drive an automatic, which is a severe disadvantage in the UK where most vehicles are manual.

You can work out whether you need a UK license here:https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y
If I get the licence within a year, my understanding is I don't have to go through the "L" and "R" nonsense. I can just drive on my US licence until granted a UK one.

And it's also a disadvantage because driving automatics is awful. I can tolerate driving a standard, I live in the rural US, I'm driving ANYWHERE - I have to drive six hours to get to the closest large city (Seattle). I never suggested I'd WANT to test in an automatic, I was just thinking it may be possible to rent a car to take the test - the problem, of course, being that in my experience rentals are all automatic (which a poster above confirmed is NOT the case in the UK).

I think the people saying it's best to take lessons in the UK are correct, unfortunately. The YouTube videos I'm watching of people driving for the test in the UK are pretty nuts, and I think lessons are in order so I know what is expected. For example - they have them putting on the handbrake CONSTANTLY. Not just when stopped for a light or something, but ALWAYS. Yielding at a roundabout? Quickly put the handbrake on and off. Waiting at a stop sign? Same thing.

The only time I ever use my handbrake is when stopped at a light or on the steep hills in downtown Seattle. I live in a very flat area, so I'm not extremely confident on steep hills in heavy traffic, so using the handbrake helps me feel a bit more confident that I won't roll back into the person behind me. Realistically, I know this is being silly and overly cautious. Yet, apparently, it seems that for the British driving exam you're supposed to set the handbrake if you stop for any reason...
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Markie,
That's exactly why I suggested you use a driving school. lessons are about 40pounds an hour but I'd have thought you'd only need a couple of hours. Yes, we do use the handbrake all the time. (well, until we've passed the test!) we used to use hand signals as well!
i thought you could exchange your US drivers licence for a UK one so long as you did it in a certain time frame. Here in the Philippines you get a licence before even learning to drive! My sons Filipina partner has a licence and has NEVER sat behind a driving wheel!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.