Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

DQ Riyadh - supermarket whereabouts?

DQ Riyadh - supermarket whereabouts?

Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Bitzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DQ Riyadh - supermarket whereabouts?

Moving into a villa in the DQ tonight - not far from Circle 1, behind the Guinea embassy.

So the question I'm posing here to the good folk on BE - does anyone know if/where there's a shop/supermarket in this rather spread out zone?

Had a quick buzz around the other day and saw some cafes, but to save the shoe leather (as I'm without a car @ mo), can any DQ/Riyadh locals guide me?

Looking at the map it could be a while hunting around on foot with a candle and a compass...much obliged in advance for any enlightenment.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

siddiqui is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DQ Riyadh - supermarket whereabouts?

If you could go out check out Othaim supermarket

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ci...=h&mra=ls&z=16
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't walk that mind!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Walking in Riyadh ? Get a taxi ! Unless you want to end up like Frank Gardner.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Yep, not a snowflake's chance in hell of chance of walking outside of the DQ, but rather inside.

Found a min mart on that big square opposite the Danish embassy.

Thx for the tips regardless...
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

There's supposed to be a path/track that one can cycle (mountain bike) around the outside of the DQ.

Not that I have a bike in Riyadh but I'd be interested to know if this exists and how to find it.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:21 am
Just Joined

That's on my to-do list for the w/e; scope out biking trails although in the short term I'm going to find a road/hybrid bike to get back into m/b shape.

Preferably a comfortable hybrid number for now with an ashtray; it takes time to ease back into things after all.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Its a great track that I have run round 10 miles in total. Check out the link if it works.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156531200
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Bingo - great link mate - thanks v much.

I hear the western escarpment area has great sunset views too. Time to get in shape methinks. Well at least talk about.

Thanks again for the info.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

or if you're feeling really brave hook up with riyadh wheelers and/or riyadh road runners

half marathon weekend after next at Dirab GC
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough

Tamimis get a taxi. Lots of imports etc. next junction down from dq
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Taxis are cheaper if you get a regular driver and make a deal with him. Get his cell-phone number.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

It's a great run and the Ritz Carlton looks like a Disney Palace. Ran with a bloke from Riyhad Road Runners and they seem a good bunch. Weather is not too bad as its not so Humid.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Many of my friends who live in the DQ will go to HyperPanda because it's close and the taxi drivers are very familiar with with the 2 markets listed below. The cost of a taxi from the DQ to Panda will run you about 15-20 SAR one way depending on how well you bargain.

http://www.panda.com.sa/riyadh/store...t=Om+Al+Hammam
Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DesertOcean
Many of my friends who live in the DQ will go to HyperPanda because it's close and the taxi drivers are very familiar with with the 2 markets listed below. The cost of a taxi from the DQ to Panda will run you about 15-20 SAR one way depending on how well you bargain.

http://www.panda.com.sa/riyadh/store...t=Om+Al+Hammam
Great info; thanks v much - time for the Gigantic Move-In First Shop which generally has me coming home with 4 kinds of mustard and never-to-be-used kitchen equipment.