Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

Old May 3rd 2008, 1:35 am
Banned

Anthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

Originally Posted by penguinsix
But if you are just here a short while, you can get a simple plug transformer that takes the bulky UK 220 prongs and converts them to US prongs.
I found that the weight of a UK 3-pin plug when attached to the converter that then goes into the US wall outlet, is so heavy that the converter doesn't fit properly into the wall outlet (kind of hangs part way out) and it creates sparks and also falls out periodically.

US wall sockets and plugs are poorer quality than UK.
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Anthony919
I found that the weight of a UK 3-pin plug when attached to the converter that then goes into the US wall outlet, is so heavy that the converter doesn't fit properly into the wall outlet (kind of hangs part way out) and it creates sparks and also falls out periodically.

US wall sockets and plugs are poorer quality than UK.
Would a UK extension cord help? You connect that to the converter, arranging it so that the heavier plug(s) lays on a surface? Just a thought. I haven't read through the last bunch of posts here, but saw this, and we did face a similar issue when we were traveling in Europe recently; the extension cord worked perfectly. HTH.

Last edited by LadyBelle; May 3rd 2008 at 10:39 am.
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:48 am
Banned

Anthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Would a UK extension cord help? You connect that to the converter, arranging it so that the heavier plug(s) lays on a surface? Just a thought. I haven't read through the last bunch of posts here, but saw this, and we did face a similar issue when we were traveling in Europe recently; the extension cord worked perfectly. HTH.
I don't think so, as the problem is the UK plug plugging into the adapter/converter (which is roughly the same size as a UK plug), which then goes directly into the US wall socket.
An extension would just lengthen where you could have the appliance - is this what you mean?
The adapters I got where very good and still work 100%, but the connection is not solid. I used one on a laptop cable in a top hotel and I dreaded pulling the lead in and out each time because sparks kept coming out. I was told by the person at Teleadapt who I dealt with that this is common (he had also experienced this himself when he came here) as US electrical standards are poorer.

There is a actually a third circular hole in US wall sockets, which is for plugs that have a third prong and which I assume is for earthing - this makes the connection much better and pretty sure. Some appliances have these, but not all. One that does is a kettle, which I had a hell of a job finding here because they don''t really use them (they call them a "water boiling jug" )

US wall sockets make laugh though - they are like a face!
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

I don't think so, as the problem is the UK plug plugging into the adapter/converter (which is roughly the same size as a UK plug), which then goes directly into the US wall socket.
An extension would just lengthen where you could have the appliance - is this what you mean?
The adapters I got where very good and still work 100%, but the connection is not solid. I used one on a laptop cable in a top hotel and I dreaded pulling the lead in and out each time because sparks kept coming out. I was told by the person at Teleadapt who I dealt with that this is common (he had also experienced this himself when he came here) as US electrical standards are poorer.

There is a actually a third circular hole in US wall sockets, which is for plugs that have a third prong and which I assume is for earthing - this makes the connection much better and pretty sure. Some appliances have these, but not all. One that does is a kettle, which I had a hell of a job finding here because they don''t really use them (they call them a "water boiling jug" )

US wall sockets make laugh though - they are like a face!
LOL. Hmm, perhaps a US extension cord or power strip, then plugging the converter into that. Is that safe?

Yes, the three hole sockets are for earthing. Anthony, I should know this, given our moving discussions, but where are you?! A "water boiling jug"!!!!? I have never heard of that. Did you try asking for an electric teapot?
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:07 pm
Banned

LOL. Hmm, perhaps a US extension cord or power strip, then plugging the converter into that. Is that safe?

Yes, the three hole sockets are for earthing. Anthony, I should know this, give our moving discussions, but where are you?! A "water boiling jug"!!!!? I have never heard of that. Did you try asking for an electric teapot?
Yes, a US extension cord would be better. I see now what you meant.

I'm in NC. (as per my previous moving lawyer plea). I didn't ask for an electric teapot because I didn't think to use such a term - anyway, isn't a teapot what you put the tea and water into?
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, a US extension cord would be better. I see now what you meant.

I'm in NC. (as per my previous moving lawyer plea). I didn't ask for an electric teapot because I didn't think to use such a term - anyway, isn't a teapot what you put the tea and water into?
Yes, but in the US it can also be the thing you boil the water in. Electric teapot / Electric tea kettle.
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:24 pm
Banned

Yes, but in the US it can also be the thing you boil the water in. Electric teapot / Electric tea kettle.
Weird people!! Same language, but no connection!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

A good way to deal with several UK-plugged appliances in one area (like the kitchen or office equipment), is to get a UK 5-way strip. Cut off the UK plug and replace it with a USA plug (get an electrician to do this if you don't know what you're doing). Then just plug in all your UK appliances in the 5-way strip section and away you go.
By the way -- months later because I am now looking for the converters -- you mean this for the appliances that do NOT need a converter, yes?
Otherwise, you could plug a UK 5-way strip into the converter without changing out the strip's plug, right?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:04 am
Banned

By the way -- months later because I am now looking for the converters -- you mean this for the appliances that do NOT need a converter, yes?
Otherwise, you could plug a UK 5-way strip into the converter without changing out the strip's plug, right?
Yes, but its just that the combination of the UK plug plus the converter that goes into the US wall socket is quite heavy and the fit may not be good enough.
US wall plugs are not very precise (ala European style).
If it doesn't fit well, the converter plus the UK plug will fall out of the wall socket or will sit just shy of a proper fit and may cause sparks.

That's why I recommend replacing the UK plug at the end of the 5-way strip with a US wall plug.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi again - Our UK plasma says "110/240v and 50/60hz" on the plate. Does this mean here in the US, we only need an adapter for it and not a converter? Cheers.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again - Our UK plasma says "110/240v and 50/60hz" on the plate. Does this mean here in the US, we only need an adapter for it and not a converter? Cheers.
Yes, that's correct it'll be good with an adapter. It does work on NTSC doesn't it?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

If it was purchased in Europe, the answer to that is yes.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
If it was purchased in Europe, the answer to that is yes.
Do you mean if it's from Europe it'll be NTSC? or it will work with just an adapter only if it's from Europe, and not from elsewhere?

It's from China, but I think it's a British model.

Last edited by LadyBelle; Jul 15th 2008 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

If you purchased it in the EU, it will be able to cope with PAL or NTSC no problem.

You just need to get the correct mains lead for the plasma - no converter required (which is good because plasmas use quite a bit of juice!).
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks for the quick reply and clarification. We'll see if the whole NTSC/PAL thing is an issue or not -- I hope not. Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.