Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax Rebate Maximisation Tips

Tax Rebate Maximisation Tips

Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all
Default Tax Rebate Maximisation Tips

Now I know this might be straightforward but I am hearing various different Tips and thought it might be quite good for the newbies, (myself included) to get some tips on how to maximise your tax rebate.

Do you get any rebate for contributing to an RESP?

What about the RRSP?

Any benefits for Kids?

Moving Allowances?

Any other easy tips?

Any advice anyone could give would be greatly received and appreciated.

PS I searched for previous threads but didn't really see one like this!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Rebate Maximisation Tips

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Now I know this might be straightforward but I am hearing various different Tips and thought it might be quite good for the newbies, (myself included) to get some tips on how to maximise your tax rebate.

Do you get any rebate for contributing to an RESP?
no its not, max out the RRSP, you get your top tax rate (30 to-40%?) back for that and the government only adds 20% to the RESP
What about the RRSP?
yes
Any benefits for Kids?
no, but you are eligable for canada child tax benefit
Moving Allowances?
some if you move far enough for a job
Any other easy tips?
Apart from start a business from home? Dont forget charitable donations and professional fees, and try HR Block?
Any advice anyone could give would be greatly received and appreciated.

PS I searched for previous threads but didn't really see one like this!!!!
I started one a while ago, but basically your tax return is based too much on personal circumstances for people to help in a detailed way.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
no its not, max out the RRSP, you get your top tax rate (30 to-40%?) back for that and the government only adds 20% to the RESPyesno, but you are eligable for canada child tax benefitsome if you move far enough for a jobApart from start a business from home? Dont forget charitable donations and professional fees, and try HR Block?I started one a while ago, but basically your tax return is based too much on personal circumstances for people to help in a detailed way.

Is it worth using H & R block then. We have always just done ufile before. Do h & R Block charge alot?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Is it worth using H & R block then. We have always just done ufile before. Do h & R Block charge alot?
Never used them either, but I think I might get them to do the free review of last years return to see if I'm missing anything.

Forgot to mention medical expenses are deductable, so anything not fully covered by the work plan could potentially be deducted...keep all those receipts

Last edited by iaink; Feb 10th 2005 at 3:15 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Never used them either, but I think I might get them to do the free review of last years return to see if I'm missing anything.
Good idea, I Think we might do that next year.

If you do that and they find something, can you still calim more tax back retrospectively?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Honestly, I would stay away from H&R Block. They hire a lot of inexpeienced and untrained people during tax season to deal with the increased business, who don't really know what they are doing. I went to them to do my taxes after I moved back from the UK and they royally screwed them up, saying I owed the government a couple thousand! I then spoke to a real accountant who gave me sound advice and I ended up getting a refund. H&R Block may be ok if you have a simple, strightforward return, but in that case it is just as easy to do it yourself with Ufile for a cheaper rate.

You can claim moving expenses if you move more than 40 km for work. You can also claim dependants, which includes children under 18 and non-working spouses.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by AnyaT
You can also claim dependants, which includes children under 18.
Please explain how, did I miss something?
There is no allowance for children that I can see, although some child care expenses are deductable.

Non working spouse is just a spouse, so covered by the spousal alowance, but kids are not tax deductable, only covered next year through the baby bonus.(Child Tax Benefit)
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:53 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Honestly, I would stay away from H&R Block. They hire a lot of inexpeienced and untrained people during tax season to deal with the increased business, who don't really know what they are doing. I went to them to do my taxes after I moved back from the UK and they royally screwed them up, saying I owed the government a couple thousand! I then spoke to a real accountant who gave me sound advice and I ended up getting a refund. H&R Block may be ok if you have a simple, strightforward return, but in that case it is just as easy to do it yourself with Ufile for a cheaper rate.

You can claim moving expenses if you move more than 40 km for work. You can also claim dependants, which includes children under 18 and non-working spouses.
Could not agree more with Anya. They're ok for basic returns but if your tax situation is anything beyond that... I'd be ascared.

My taxes are on the complicated side and I pay about $300 to have them done up -- it might sound like a lot compared to H&R, but it is money well spent. He (my tax guy) has saved me thousands (a lot of thousands) by offering me guidance and strategies to minimize my taxes.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

There is no allowance for children that I can see, although some child care expenses are deductable.

Non working spouse is just a spouse, so covered by the spousal alowance, but kids are not tax deductable, only covered next year through the baby bonus.(Child Tax Benefit)
Whoops, my mistake, I thought you could claim children as dependants. I checked and it is through the Child Tax Benefit. You can see I have no children yet!

The Canada Revenue Agency has some more details on its website, and I have found their call centre unusually helpful when I've needed more information. www.cra.gc.ca
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:52 pm
Glaswegian

The best thing to do is ask people you know for recommendations ... I've known accountants to screw up royally too ... when you went to H&R did you check out the qualifications of the person doing the return? ... they certainly employ CA's in Calgary.

Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:21 pm
Glaswegian

There is a deduction for children but you have to have very specific circumstances. I know enough about you Iain to know you are not eligible. Neither are we!

Mrs G

Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:34 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

A quick question.

We have income from renting out a property in France and are paying taxes annually to the French government.

Should we say anything?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Iginla
A quick question.

We have income from renting out a property in France and are paying taxes annually to the French government.

Should we say anything?
Quick Answer. Yes.

May not be taxed on it, but have to report worldwide income.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quick Answer. Yes.

May not be taxed on it, but have to report worldwide income.
Correct. If you have been taxed in another country there may be credit or other double tax relief.

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
My taxes are on the complicated side and I pay about $300 to have them done up --
Wow, mine is nothing more than straightforward non-resident rental income, all the stuff already being nicely documented and done by the management company and I'm paying CAD 700 to have them done... They must have seen me coming!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.