Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Opening IRA after leaving the US?

Opening IRA after leaving the US?

Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening IRA after leaving the US?

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I didn't ask if they would accept a US PO Box as an address, but does this restriction mean that folks who live in their RV, traveling around the country are unable to open new accounts with financial institutions?
I just checked and Vanguard do require a street address when opening a new account online.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

It's plain and simple you cannot convert to Roth once you have left US and reside in UK. But if dunroving came back for a year he would be able to do so. I am over time going to start converting my money into Roth..
Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
It's plain and simple you cannot convert to Roth once you have left US and reside in UK. But if dunroving came back for a year he would be able to do so. I am over time going to start converting my money into Roth..
Nun has done the research and reckons that under section 18.1 of the treaty ROTH conversions are treated like pension lump sums and are only taxable in the USA, but you need to have your ROTH set up ahead of time to be able to do ROTH conversions while in the UK.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=Roth

Last edited by durham_lad; Apr 16th 2014 at 8:09 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I wondered if anyone has experience or knowledge of how this information is used by the institutions? It occurred to me that if this is associated with something like a credit check (procedurally, I mean; I know it isn't a credit check), then using a mailbox or a friend's address wouldn't work.

Surely if the goal of the Patriot Act is to "look into you" to check you are not a money launderer (or worse), surely they will check any address you give them against public records (property tax, other paper trail that you live/lived at this address)?
Not necessarily. So long as your name, DOB, and SSN, tie together the address needs to exist, it doesn't necessarily need to have any documented usage, otherwise every time someone moved they would find it impossible to open new accounts, .... which is exactly when people are most likely to need new accounts. The likely problem would be with (true) PO Boxes which are commonly disallowed, but which UPS Store mailboxes conveniently circumvent if you use "Unit" or "Apt", and not "Box".

A few years ago I actually persuaded one bank's system to accept my address as "P0 Box" (P"zero" Box), when a PO Box address was prohibited!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Nun has done the research and reckons that under section 18.1 of the treaty ROTH conversions are treated like pension lump sums and are only taxable in the USA, but you need to have your ROTH set up ahead of time to be able to do ROTH conversions while in the UK.

Not to flog a dead horse or anything, but I have read and participated in Nun's threads on Roths (which is why I am trying to get this sorted). Besides the two specific threads you linked to, it has been discussed at length in other posts, too.

I don't think there is anything in there that definitively says you have to set up your Roth before leaving the US. Although some people, like me, are experiencing difficulties getting a Roth set up from outside the US, there isn't anything in the law or tax regulations that seems to say you have to do it before leaving. That is the aspect I am trying to determine. Posts 42-50 (or thereabouts) in the second thread you linked to just about covers what I figured out to this point. JAJ's Post #10 above has come closest and is what I am balancing up against simply opening it by phone while I am in the US in May.

Certainly, I'd recommend anyone thinking of doing this to set it up before leaving, to avoid the hassle.

But I am hoping someone will come along with either "here is the definitive legal perspective that shows you can/can't do it" or "here is how I managed it".

Often on BE, we read "You can't do that" or "It has to be done this way" and eventually this perspective is determined to be without factual (regulatory, whatever) basis, and there are ways to achieve it. Opening a UK bank account from overseas is a prime example. People are always saying "It's impossible" whereas in reality, "It's not particularly straightforward, but it's possible, and here is how to do it" is the correct answer.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not necessarily. So long as your name, DOB, and SSN, tie together the address needs to exist, it doesn't necessarily need to have any documented usage, otherwise every time someone moved they would find it impossible to open new accounts, .... which is exactly when people are most likely to need new accounts. The likely problem would be with (true) PO Boxes which are commonly disallowed, but which UPS Store mailboxes conveniently circumvent if you use "Unit" or "Apt", and not "Box".

A few years ago I actually persuaded one bank's system to accept my address as "P0 Box" (P"zero" Box), when a PO Box address was prohibited!
Remind me to never play cards against you.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

But I am hoping someone will come along with either "here is the definitive legal perspective that shows you can/can't do it".
Here is the definitive legal perspective that shows you can/can't do it:

(THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK)

I agree with your appraisal of the post from JAJ. Like most issues relating to tax involving anything or anyone foreign, there is usually little in the way of clearly defined rules but there are hundreds of conflicting statements found in various guidance. I would suggest it all depends on the appetite of the American organisation for your 'foreign' business. Remember, it's not personal.

Keep pursuing any available avenue. Someone may eventually cave in. It's your money, and it's not foreign. It's currently in good old Yankee dollars. It's only your address which is foreign.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not to flog a dead horse or anything, but I have read and participated in Nun's threads on Roths (which is why I am trying to get this sorted). Besides the two specific threads you linked to, it has been discussed at length in other posts, too.

I don't think there is anything in there that definitively says you have to set up your Roth before leaving the US. Although some people, like me, are experiencing difficulties getting a Roth set up from outside the US, there isn't anything in the law or tax regulations that seems to say you have to do it before leaving. That is the aspect I am trying to determine. Posts 42-50 (or thereabouts) in the second thread you linked to just about covers what I figured out to this point. JAJ's Post #10 above has come closest and is what I am balancing up against simply opening it by phone while I am in the US in May.

Certainly, I'd recommend anyone thinking of doing this to set it up before leaving, to avoid the hassle.
I agree with you. In my post above I quoted, and was responding to, fulwood, who said "It's plain and simple you cannot convert to a Roth once you have left US and reside in UK." (I know that you have participated in nun's discussions).

The point I was making (to others who have not seen nun's ROTH discussion threads) is that you absolutely can do ROTH conversions from the UK. The question being debated here is whether you can establish a new ROTH account from the UK, without a US Street address.

Maybe I was misunderstanding what fulwood was saying.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

No you did not misunderstand me. I spoke with USAA whom I've banked with for 25 years. You simply cannot convert to Roth if living in UK. I know it doesn't make sense but that's what it is. Yet if dunroving came to US for a while, he could provide address and convert it. odd. I am only stating what USAA bankers told me. Doesn't mean I don't agree with policy. i have been searching for the "why" but God forbid searching IRS or OFAC is daunting..
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

No you did not misunderstand me. I spoke with USAA whom I've banked with for 25 years. You simply cannot convert to Roth if living in UK. I know it doesn't make sense but that's what it is. Yet if dunroving came to US for a while, he could provide address and convert it. odd. I am only stating what USAA bankers told me. Doesn't mean I don't agree with policy. i have been searching for the "why" but God forbid searching IRS or OFAC is daunting..
Thanks for the clarification.

Vanguard told me that if I was in the UK I could continue trading with them as usual. I didn't specifically ask, "does that include IRA to ROTH conversions which I have been doing each year for the last 3 years?"
Old Apr 19th 2014, 3:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Vanguard have also told me that I can trade on all my existing accounts as a UK resident, that would include IRAs, ROTH, 403b and brokerage accounts.

If you reside in the UK and have US IRA and ROTH accounts there is nothing to stop you from doing IRA to ROTH conversions. The amount converted is taxed by the US at your income tax rates, but is free of UK tax. Distributions from ROTH accounts are free of tax in the US and the UK.

http://www.ukustax.com/wp-content/up...-28-Oct-10.pdf
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

good job. it sounds like dunroving can do it then.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... I am only stating what USAA bankers told me. Doesn't mean I don't agree with policy. i have been searching for the "why" but God forbid searching IRS or OFAC is daunting..
The "USAA bankers" may just have been citing policy, not law/regulation. At the sales/ customer service end of the business it makes no difference "why" their employer won't do it, all they know is that "it's not possible". There may be all manner of reasons why USAA doesn't want to enable the conversion to a Roth, but it is quite possibly nothing to do with a law or regulation.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:28 pm
Ping-ponger

Just wanted to dredge this thread up again as I have been yet again dealing with TIAA-CREF on this issue. The previous information I got from TIAA was that .. "The USA Patriot Act requires you to provide a current physical residential address in the U.S. when you open an investment account such as a Roth IRA. It should be the address where you reside and would receive correspondence. "

Having looked into the PA, I found the only text relating to address to be the following (from 31 U.S. Code § 5318 - Compliance, exemptions, and summons authority):

"(l) Identification and Verification of Accountholders.
(2) Minimum requirements. The regulations shall, at a minimum, require financial institutions to implement, and customers (after being given adequate notice) to comply with, reasonable procedures for:
…(A) verifying the identity of any person seeking to open an account to the extent reasonable and practicable;
(B) maintaining records of the information used to verify a person’s identity, including name, address, and other identifying information; and
(C) consulting lists of known or suspected terrorists or terrorist organizations provided to the financial institution by any government agency to determine whether a person seeking to open an account appears on any such list. “

- there is no requirement that the person opening the account is a US resident, only that their address is confirmed in order to verify their identify.

So, having unsuccessfully tried to send this via their non-functional Message Center (only 10% of messages guaranteed to actually send!) I called and spoke with a consultant who put me on hold for about 30 minutes while he went and talked with his pals.

he came back and tried to tell me no-one he talked to could remember opening an IRA for a non-resident (so what???) and that it was TIAA policy ... so now they have a different reason.

I asked them to send me a letter stating chapter and verse either the section of the Patriot Act that applies and/or a verbatim section of TIAA policy that is contained within TIAA documents. I'll let you know how that goes ...

For anyone returning to the UK, if you don't already have an IRA, open one just in case you need to use it after you return!!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

We've had this link previously in this thread, but it's been updated as of 8 January 2015. The problem is the information only concerns banks. There seems to be an appeal route if the institution is a "national" bank. For all financial institutions, it appears any reference to the Patriot Act requiring a US address is BS. Nonetheless, it remains the prerogative (excuse) of the FI to do whatever they wish regards accepting or rejecting customers in accordance to their own business model.

https://americansabroad.org/issues/b...ot-act-update/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.