Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Permanent Move to Scotland

Permanent Move to Scotland

Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Move to Scotland

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
We are talking of a decade and you provide one-years-worth that includes people coming on short-term study visas?
You need to read what I quoted. The words INCREASE and DECREASE for instance, are a guide.

Plus that link I gave shows previous years too.

Your statement "By far the largest volume over the past decade have been EU citizens" was incorrect. It's been non-EUs who have been "By far the largest volume [to the UK] over the past decade".
Hence why the door to the easy to get UK visas, has been slammed shut.

Last edited by formula; Apr 8th 2014 at 12:33 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Originally Posted by formula
But, as I have already said, there is now an annual welfare cap which seems to have been capped at our present annual welfare bill. What financial support is available now, may not continue to be there and this cap has to be factored in if the OP is short of money in her retirement.

All claimants will have to share what is left of the annual cap after the annual state pensions are deducted and whatever out of work benefits they want to protect too. i.e. Jobseekers. Neither of which the OP will qualify for.
OK Thanks, I didn't know about a cap on welfare payments.
I can entirely understand it though as I do recall reading that government is to reduce the handouts to those able bodied who are not willing to seek employment.
In that case Rosalina would need to have some kind of independent plan to meet any shortfall in her financial requirements.
thanks pf
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Things seem to be changing so much recently that even setting aside the Scottish independence debate, statements about who is likely to be entitled to what benefits is likely to be incorrect in a couple of years, and then incorrect again 2 years after that. Just look at what has happened to the state pension.

I think the bottom line, however is that it is unlikely that someone living in the UK would be allowed to become destitute. Certainly less likely than in the US.

A lot of the scare stories regarding benefits has been to do with tightening up on people unfairly claiming benefits. If you are physically capable of working but unwilling to work it is becoming more difficult to claim benefits.

Unfortunately, some deserving people are getting caught up (such as people with disabilities being caught by the removal of the additional room subsidy if they need an additional bedroom for a spouse, or for equipment).
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:07 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You need to read what I quoted. The words INCREASE and DECREASE for instance, are a guide.

Plus that link I gave shows previous years too.

Your statement "By far the largest volume over the past decade have been EU citizens" was incorrect. It's been non-EUs who have been "By far the largest volume [to the UK] over the past decade".
Hence why the door to the easy to get UK visas, has been slammed shut.
Short-term student visas are not people moving to the UK to take citizenship and vote labor - your argument is a fallacy.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Short-term student visas are not people moving to the UK to take citizenship and vote labor - your argument is a fallacy.
Many use the EU route to study in the UK too.

You obviously have your own agenda for wanting to believe "By far the largest volume over the past decade have been EU citizens" but that is not what the UK government figures show. Even the most recent count showed it was still those using the non-EU route who are "the largest volume" but that there is a decrease in those numbers as the easy routes to settlement for those not skilled at anything much, are now closed or amended.

The DECREASE in those non-EU numbers student numbers is mainly because although the student visa route itself was never a route to UK cizitenship, many of those who came to study in the UK found it easy to use it as such, in a variety of different ways. The UK have now blocked those routes to citizenship with the amendment of some visas and the closure of other routes. Now only those students who are the brightest and best can stay and the others have to go back home.

You only have to look at the boards where they are talking about the blocks or launching appeals to give themselves more time in the UK, to see how many students thought they could get a UK passport if they just came to the UK to study. Yet it never was a path to citizenship.

More changes (welfare; NHS; new visas; tax breaks) will make the UK less attractive to those who are not going to contribute anything much to the UK and more attrative to those who will.

As to the EU route that many EUs and non-EUs use to get to the UK, time will tell.

Last edited by formula; Apr 10th 2014 at 9:08 am.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:39 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Many use the EU route to study in the UK too.

You obviously have your own agenda for wanting to believe "By far the largest volume over the past decade have been EU citizens" but that is not what the UK government figures show. Even the most recent count showed it was still those using the non-EU route who are "the largest volume" but that there is a decrease in those numbers as the easy routes to settlement for those not skilled at anything much, are now closed or amended.

The DECREASE in those non-EU numbers student numbers is mainly because although the student visa route itself was never a route to UK cizitenship, many of those who came to study in the UK found it easy to use it as such, in a variety of different ways. The UK have now blocked those routes to citizenship with the amendment of some visas and the closure of other routes. Now only those students who are the brightest and best can stay and the others have to go back home.

You only have to look at the boards where they are talking about the blocks or launching appeals to give themselves more time in the UK, to see how many students thought they could get a UK passport if they just came to the UK to study. Yet it never was a path to citizenship.

More changes (welfare; NHS; new visas; tax breaks) will make the UK less attractive to those who are not going to contribute anything much to the UK and more attrative to those who will.

As to the EU route that many EUs and non-EUs use to get to the UK, time will tell.
You argument was:

Labour have done a lot to import voters over the last decade
We now see that most of the immigrants were either EU ones who cannot vote in national elections or students who cannot vote and will return home after their studies. Your assertion was therefore wrong.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's all hypothetical anyway. It isn't going to happen.

I do hope you are right Dunroving. Glad you are no longer 'Undecided' that White Paper is just a farce. I think there would be civil war if people who had voted to stay in UK were forced to give up UK citizenship but it is not clear. I am English living in Scotland and so do not think I can be forced either way. I would leave Scotland if I had to. It will be an economic disaster if the YES vote wins. I don't want dual nationality anyway just want to be British English.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I don't want dual nationality anyway just want to be British English.
Well, countries sometimes confer citizenship to people who don't want it. Until 2004, the Irish Republic conferred automatic Irish citizenship to unionists born in Northern Ireland
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

How will the Scots have a UK passport if they cease to be a member of the UK?

Their leaving the UK will mean their leaving of the EU, the EU have made that clear. That will stop Scots using the EU freedom of movement rights to live and work in other EU countries. Spain will always veto any attempt Scotland makes to join the EU and the EU have already made it clear to Scotland that all EU countries have to agree to allow a country to join.

As they will no longer be a member of the EU and won't be able to join the EU, I assume that the Scottish government would then have to try to work something out with the UK government if they want Scots to be able to work/live in the UK? Or work out a deal with other EU countries as a separate agreement?

Perhaps more relevant to those relying on benefits, is to be aware of the capping of the UK's annual welfare budget that has just been approved in parliament by all the political parties. The welfare bill has been growing at an alarming rate and it's a bill the UK taxpayer doesn't have the money (or the appetite) to keep funding.

The welfare bill has been cappped at it's present annual amount, which will mean that there will be benefit reductions to keep to the welfare cap. Only the UK State Pension (to be £135 per week) and Jobseeker's Allowance (£71 per week) amounts will be protected and both of these have already had the rules changed so that many who hoped to claim them, will now not be able to (the new rules will not affect those who have contributed to the UK). Even though the JSA amount is protected, the potential is still there for future governments to restrict those who can claim JSA.
Is this for Scotland or England?